Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rational
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've never seen a non-wind-tunnel fan this powerful before in my life. It's so powerful, that it sucks the dust from the neighboring fan shafts out, and actually sucks air to the point where the other propellers turn.

Anyone know what airport these are at? I don't even want to know what the sound would be like with all of those turned on at once.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
According to the YouTube comments they are fans used to clear smoke out of tunnels in case of a fire in the tunnel.

/

·
Rational
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the YouTube comments they are fans used to clear smoke out of tunnels in case of a fire in the tunnel.

/
Yeah, I'm the one who asked him about it. But without knowing the building or the layout of the place, it's kind of hard to say how exactly they vent.

However, he said that they had dampers closed off in this test, so the airflow was just circulating between two rooms, which would explain why the dust never quite settled in this video.

·
Registered
13,092 Posts
Thats not a fan.
It's a central vacuum cleaner unit.
Turn it on for 5 minutes and all the dirt in the entire house is gone along with any rodents, insects, or small to medium sized pets!

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Rational
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the guy who posted the video said:

If there is a fire in the tunnel, dampers open up above where the fire is and these bad boys vent all the smoke out.
At which point I responded:

Scott, I'm a little confused. Where are the dampers? These look like they are sucking through the fan, not blowing outward (towards the camera). Is that correct? So where would the smoke come from? This looks like a concrete access way of some sort.
And he explained:

the dampers are in the tunnel above the roadway, there is a smoke duct run above that, the entire way through the tunnel. The fan on the left is the one that was fired up for testing, there are another set of dampers in the next room that were closed and therefore the air was just circulating between the two rooms back through the other fans. Behind where I'm standing is the entry way down to the smoke duct.
But again, without knowing the layout of the place, it's hard for me to picture how all of this works. Is it a two-story tunnel, with these fans providing ventilation from above? Hard to say.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
They way the guys were dressed looked European. Not one plaid shirt in sight.

Chunnel perhaps?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
They way the guys were dressed looked European. Not one plaid shirt in sight.

Chunnel perhaps?
They guy at the beginning was speaking English and had what sounded, to me, like an Australian accent.

But could still be almost anywhere.

Sniff

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Rational
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Are there any engineers here who can tell us what other applications such a massive fan could be used for? Maybe air circulation in a large mall or other large public building? Or are fans of this nature strictly for ventilation; given the power they put out?

And what approximate horsepower rating do you think the motors of these fans have? I saw a 38 inch diameter Axial fan with a 50 HP motor once; that thing could move some air. But this thing is most likely over 100 HP, I imagine.

EDIT: found the video I was thinking of...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts