close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm thinking of getting a 226R in DAK... how is the transition from Glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glock2336, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

I've had multiple Glocks and a USP which was my first pistol and was wondering what your opinions are about the transition and the DAK trigger in general... I'm not a fan of DA/SA

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I have carried a Glock on duty, but now carry a 226DAK. Do not think of them in the same ballpark. When shooting them, they are apples and oranges.

The Glock has a lower bore axis than the Sig. However, the Sig's "point" is more natural for me. For me, this helps with the felt recoil. To me, a Glock has more 'snap' than the Sig. It may be that the Sig's slight weight increase helps as well.

The DAK trigger is still the same lenght as the standard DA trigger pull, just lighter. It is still a little heavier than the Glock, but not much. The main difference is the longer pull lenght.

No matter what you read here, the best way to tell is to get your hands on one and shoot it for yourself.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

I like the DAK over the Glock.
    YMMV
    :supergrin:

But I started on slicked revolvers.

4. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Even though they're different, it is difficult to not compare the two when you're used to is Glock. I did the same thing with the HK LEM, and ended up selling it because I couldn't get used to the trigger. I don't own a DAK but I like it alot from the times I've played with them and would prefer it to the LEM. Like Ox said, the Sigs are far more ergonomic than Glocks, it's a completely different gun (I have both and love my Sigs).

Hey, OX...I thought you finally got out of LE and got a real job? I can't WAIT to get out...

5. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

They won't let me out! :supergrin: I left full time, but they still have me on the reserve/part time division roster. I'll still work a shift every now and then if they are shorthanded. Work some football games, etc.

6. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

That's the way to go! My city is in what they are calling a budget crisis and I'm afraid they will say there is no part-time budget to transfer me to part-time. I'll find out shortly. Guess I'll be bagging groceries 'til I finish school. :)

7. spcwes

spcwes

It was an easy transition for me, and I love the DAK so much I have chosen it over Glocks. This is by far the best trigger on a standard duty weapon I have used.

I am as accurate or more so with this trigger. It is smooth and the same from shot to shot. Great trigger and I would not own a Sig in any different config except the 1911's and I will own them as well.

GREAT WEAPON!!!

8. cyberiad

cyberiad

A Sig fits my hand much better too. For me, one big difference is in the reset. After shooting glocks for a long time I recently shot my P226 DA/SA in an informal IDPA match and short stroked the trigger a couple of times. This is easily remedied but the DAK reset is longer than a 'standard' Sig (especially all the way out to the lighter pull) so someone making the switch may need a bit more time behind the Sig.

9. spcwes

spcwes

Actually it is not that much longer for the first reset after the first round is fired. It has two resets which even the first is longer than most it is not the longest. I find it 100times easier to shoot than the DA/SA version, including faster and more accurate.

10. cyberiad

cyberiad

My Sigs must be non-standard. I just tried a DA/SA P226 and a P226 DAK and the reset on the DA/SA is about half as long as the DAK (and a gunsmith who knows what he's doing can make it much shorter)

11. sigdeputy

sigdeputy

I made the switch from carrying a Glock 31 to a P226R DAK. OX hit the nail on the head. They are just different guns. The SIG points very natural for me, but the Glock sure feels good in my hand with the low bore axis. The Glock trigger has a shorter reach and is lighter (my opinion). Once you get used to the DAK, you will find that it will probably outshoot the Glock.

I took mine to the range yesterday and put 150 rounds through it. I was more than pleased with the trigger. My buddy, who normally shoots & carries a Colt .45, put a clip in it and let it rip. He never shot a DAK trigger before and put 12 rounds in the "X" with no trouble. He loved it.

As a side note, I carry a P2000SK with LEM off duty. I love it, but as others have pointed out, the DAK and Glock have better triggers. I prefer the DAK over the LEM.

12. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

I got to shoot a 226R DAK recently. Trigger was nice, very smooth, but stacked at the end, much like my SP2009 trigger. I tried a HK LEM trigger a few days later in a store, very similiar feel to it. I have a Glock 26 with NY1 and 3.5 connector. Feels similiar in concept to the DAK/LEM, but heavier and not as silky smooth. DAK and LEM feel nicelike an old S&W wheely tuned up! Very smooth, feels like a long SA pull with a little stacking at the end. Just roll thru it, no problems! Shots come more as a suprise because you arent trying to just break the shot. Just roll straight thru and don't try to stage it. As far as making the switch, think of a Glock with a heavier takeup, and you will have an idea of the DAK. Or try a Para Ord LDA. 6 to 8 lbs of smooth trigger pull is a nice thing!

Think nice, silky smooth revolver with a slight stack at the end. Or a Ny1 and 3.5 in a glock, but much smoother and more consistent. Shouldn't be any problems switching!

13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Funny you should ask.

I started with a G22 when I went into the academy. Put about 1500 rounds through it. Traded it for a used G26 and that used G26 for a NIB LE G26.

Issued a HK USP Variant 4 in .40.... put about 1200 rounds through it and carried it as a duty weapon until today at 0800 hours. Got to the range and turned in my USP to the armorer. (It was tagged and I am buying it back from the department on Monday for $385! :) )

They issued me my new P226R DAK Stainless .40 with rail today. We ran an 8 hour heavy transition course for the new SiG weapon system and our new crappy Bianchi Accumold Elite snap holsters we are forced to transition to from the nice Safariland 6280 I had with the HK :(

This SiG is my new best friend. I put over 400 rounds through it as far as the 25 yard line using our departments proprietary qual course. (It's a pain in the ***)

For the first time, I shot a perfect 100%.

I'm hopefully changing departments and moving to another state soon, and when I do, I'm going to buy my own DAK 226.

They rock.:beer:

14. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

:cheers:

They rock.:beer: [/B][/QUOTE]