I'm thinking...I'm thinking...get a G44 or not...

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 13, 2020.

1. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

Surprisingly the ProMag G44 18 round magazines have worked great for me. And I load them to 18. My Irish luck actually was good for once.

DAW9347 and Doc Holliday like this.
  2. Squid1

Squid1

Agree! But ten shots is overkill and only for the poorly trained (or fun shooters). I’m age 76 and know I only need one .22 LR in the face. Placement trumps caliber. Then the nap waiting for 911 to arrive.

3. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

I still think on one, but will go rent, shoot, and decide.

4. Bradley T

Bradley T

Not real expensive. Better than Taurus. GSSF has a class for it. It is really quite reliable- and gets more so the more it's fired. Get a G44! The plusses far outweigh the minuses!

Doc Holliday and grumpy1 like this.
  5. crackedcornish

crackedcornish

personally I'd hold off on the G44 until Glock gets the slide failure thing worked out..

but, I have the Advantage Arms 22LR Conversion Kits on 4 different size frames, so I don't really need another 22LR at the moment...until they come out for one that fits on the G43 anyway :cheers:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    DAW9347 likes this.
  6. bellavite1

bellavite1

My point exactly:
    Why buy a fully polymer handgun when you can have a metal 22lr conversion and practice with the same trigger pull of the gun you actually carry?
    Not being polemic, but am I missing something?

7. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Shoot the Glock for a while and let us know what you think of them side by side.

. . . including, is the Glock so much better that its worth 1.5x - 2x the cost of the TX22.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I can tell you now, even before shooting the 44 -

The 44 recoil spring is WAY too strong, feels like it was made for a 9mm, not a .22LR
    TX22 is MUCH easier to rack the slide
    44 is easier to completely disassemble, that's important to me, no roll pins to deal with
    TX22 comes with a threaded barrel, love it.
    44 is overpriced, should be a $250 gun, but all prices are high now, saw TX22 today for $375.00+, still, the real world price on the TX22 should be around $225-250, bought my 22241 no-manual-safety model for $189.00 after the Taurus rebate last year.

So it's a tradeoff, really. Plan to keep them both.

9. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I have had AA conversion for a long time.

It can be picky with ammo. But luckily it likes Golden Bullet really well. It really hate winchester bulk packs.

My experience shooting a lot of round through a G44 that is not mine is that it is less picky about ammo. It seems to eat and eject almost everything.

10. kcuv

kcuv

I used one the other day - I'm a walther p22 guy, and have a 1911 GSG .22...but the G44 was really cool. Felt just like G19 but with zero kick...

now im tempted this would be a really cool plinker that could potentially fit my g19 holsters for practice drawing shooting bad guys from concealment...hmm

11. ken grant

ken grant

All the talk about a .22LR shot to the face stopping someone reminds me of an old friend .
    He got shot in the face on the left side of his nose about midway up and he drove himself to the E.R . They bullet was never removed and he lived for many more yrs. and died of old age .

12. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I'm still waiting to actually see a G44 slide break in person. I have only seen a few examples on line. I have close to 4,000 rounds through mine and there are others that have a lot more than that without any issues.

I'm now waiting for my Nelson 44X slide to come in and also looking for another frame for it or my OEM G44 slide. (See the 44X thread).

Is the G44 for everyone? No it isn't. Would I buy a G44 again? Yes I would.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Well, he's lucky the guy didn't give him a few more, or a mag dump, just to be sure.

14. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

I like my Glock 23, and the "personal" way I now have it set up. With so many other .22 Long Rifle pistols and revolvers out there, I don't think that Glock made a good move with going to .22 rimfire caliber.
    The design started with the 9mm centerfire round and in my mind should stay with the centerfire thought. Flame away!

15. grumpy1

grumpy1

I was considering the AA kit for my Glock 19 but several reviews showed people too many that owned them had problems with them so I put that out of my mind. I will most likely get the Glock 44 soon and plan on renting one to try out next range trip. Those that actually own the Glock 44 seem to love them and have excellent reliability with them with a wide range of ammo. I like that it can be dry fired and also comes with the Gen 5 back straps so that I can configure it to work well for my wife too.

16. jmaj

jmaj

I like my G44. Reliability is strictly about the ammo - weak fires won't properly cycle but that's true of virtually any 22 semi.
    Promag 18 seems to work as well as the Glock 10 rounders. I am careful to make sure the rounds stack properly in the magazine but that's extra precaution on my part.
    My two uses are range gun and kit gun in the woods. SD? If it's all I had I wouldn't feel unarmed. 40 gr Minimags from a handgun will go a foot into ballistics gel, so the penetration is decent.

Edit: I also have a Browning Nomad and S&W 63-5. If I could only keep one of the three? Hmmm.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  17. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

I have a PMR-30, Ruger MKI and II, TPH, 617, SP-101. No G44 for me.

18. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50 Silver Member

Doc

Don't forget to ask 'ss 58'.....LOL

19. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I have a Ruger Mk II, S&W 22A, Kel-Tec CP33 and PMR30, AR22 pistol and the G44. Nothing wrong with having a good variety in the safe. I also have a 22 conversion kit for my 1911. I still want to check out the Taurus TX22 and the Kel-Tec P17.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  20. ken grant

ken grant

Just to check penetration with my G44 so as to set up a place to shoot in my garage I stacked 3 2x6 boards (flat to flat ) in front of my bullet trap and shot them 5 times . 4 of the 5 went all the way through and the 5th bulged the rear board .
    My trap is only 17"x12" and I was checking ways to build a safety barrier behind it so I could safely practice point shooting .
    I was shooting 40 gr. Aguila ammo .