I'm Thinking Amazon May Not Be The Sharpest Knife In The Drawer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by willie_pete, Oct 29, 2020.

1. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Florida woman accused of scamming Amazon for $165,000
    Suspect reimbursed for 42,000 returns, deputies say

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/f...-woman-accused-of-scamming-amazon-for-165000/

" Between March 2015 and August, she was reimbursed $3.99 each for about 42,000 returns, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

Sheriff's officials said she used 31 Amazon accounts, all linked to an address in a Tampa suburb. Eleven of the accounts had been suspended by Oct. 21, the date the affidavit was filed, the agency said. "

How did their software not flag excessive returns to one address ?

:headscratch:

I bet it does now.

2. Pepiot

Pepiot Yippee ki-yay...

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I bet they upgraded their software now. I understand that Amazon will flag your account if you have excessive returns and have been known to close accounts.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  4. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Maybe there is something I don’t understand here. If she is getting reimbursed for returns didn’t she have to buy it in the first place?

According to my iPhone calculator that would net her.....um just a second....$0.

Bish1309 likes this.
  5. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

They didn't explain the scam part. Surely she an angle to make money off that but we aren't told what it was.

6. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Twice in the last month I've tried to make a return and they told me my refund was processed but I did not have to return the items.

That seems ripe for abuse by dishonest people.

7. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

Amazon seems to take the approach that it's more hassle to get a return than the return is worth. Or at least that's the case with some of their vendors. I had 2 cases with amazon where I tried to return a product but they said, nah, just keep it. I've had others where we had to make a return. for those 2 cases they were not really cheap items:

one was with a Yeti travel tumbler. We received the wrong size. They just sent the correct size and said keep the other one.

the other was with a cast protector (rubber sleeve that goes over a cast and seals with vacuum) for swimming. We received the wrong size. they said just donate it to the orthopedic clinic and sent the right size.

If you do use amazon, I suggest getting the app. the customer service is so slick. you request a call and 2 seconds later they call you. So simple and quick.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

she was using old prepaid labels from the company.

42000 of them?? Guess she made copies?

How does anyone think they will get away with it?

Jump likes this.
  9. racerford

racerford

They did explain it. She told them she paid for the return shipping, so they reimbursed her for the shipping. Instead she used prepaid shipping labels from Amazon to ship the items back. So Amazon paid for the return shipping (via prepaid labels) and reimbursed her as well for someone she did not pay for.

With as much work as she had done, she could have made that in a real job! 42,000 shipments across 5 years is a lot. Even my wife doesn't buy that much. Well, it is close but still not that much :D

Need4Speed likes this.
  10. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

I bought 3) 30mm ammo cans made by Liberty safe. Eventually they sent a total of 9!

Tried to return the extra six and they said forget it....Thank You!

11. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

I don’t know...is Amazon or her the dull knife? I mean she got caught and probably will do time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob

Amazon sent me the wrong dog food. They said "keep it" (I donated it)

Yesterday I returned a $9 phone case. I ordered the wrong one. They wanted it back, and all I had to do was drop it off at a UPS Store and let them scan the bar-code on my phone. No packaging or anything. Very simple. I suspect Amazon picks stuff up directly from the UPS Store instead of UPS actually shipping it to them. We are about 20 miles from a distribution center and I can't remember the last time something from Amazon was shipped by UPS - it's always one of their own trucks.

13. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Friend worked for Amazon in the Valley of Sun, he did returns. Trust me Amazona take loss prevention seriously, people try to scam them daily.

Saw the guy yesterday, he left Amazon for dream job, it did not work out. He is returning to Amazon to be Safety & First Air person, job he wanted for three years.

He mention "PILLPAK was Amazona affailate company, soon they will be manufacturing and selling Insulin, could save users 70-80% in cost of their Insulin.

I have personally never shopped Amazon, but business is booming. BOZO gets richer by the day.

Think of scamming Amazon not a bright idea.

14. RenoF250

RenoF250

I don't at all approve of what she did but I think this is Amazon's problem, the authorities should not be involved.

15. racerford

racerford

It is still fraud on a large scale in terms of incidences, so yes the police should be involved. That is their job. Really the bulk of the investigative work would have already been done by Amazon, with the police being involved in things that require a warrant. I used to be involved in corporate investigations. The best way to get police and DA involvement is to bring them a prosecutable case. They like easy wins.

Eddy Current and willie_pete like this.
  16. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

How stupid do you have to be to think you can beat a large company like that for any length of time? I'm sure they have some very smart loss-prevention people you would have to out-think. And they do it for a living, so they are going to see everything after a while. I can see them saying, "We don't have to catch you every time you steal from us, we only have to catch you once."

One of the secrets of life is knowing when you aren't the smartest person in the room, and to not push it.

17. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I just won my case with Amazon with Chase Bank in my corner. I bought a very nice hummingbird feeder and it was never delivered but the order page said it was. I did the check with neighbors thing, I did the wait for 48 hours thing and nothing. I couldn't find an Amazon phone number or email so I finally called my bank.

I have been a customer with Amazon for over 15 years with hundreds of packages delivered and no problem. I proved my case to Chase and they dealt with Amazon and I got my $37.13 back. I got no apology from Amazon or any response at all, I just found out by looking at my monthly credit card bill. Still I will buy from Amazon but I did update my delivery instructions.

18. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

We have never had an issue with a return at Amazon. There have only been a few and those weren't our fault so Amazon issued a UPS call tag and it was picked up on their dime.

19. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Had there delivery folks lose a package and send a picture of someone elses house where they delivered it.. then they sent me the wrong toner cartridge. And i returned that to a ups store about ten miles away.

Had 3.5 hours on the phone dealing with about 7 different customer no service idiots trying to get my email changed. They dont allow you to do that yourself. Then capcha nightmare. I cant see the letters clearly enough to work that. They have NO way to work that problem. Eventually had my girlfriend log in and do that for me.

Amazon has been terrible for about a month or two. Before that they were great.

The company has gotten too big. Customer service folks cant speak english or help do anything at all.

20. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I think maybe they can speak English and could help, but their goal is to get you mad and have you hang up.