close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm thinking 10mm - Info?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NWoutdoor, Jan 28, 2010.

1. NWoutdoor

NWoutdoor

Started looking at the two 10mm offerings from Glock. G20 and 29.
    I have the G22, 23, 27 set and would like a bigger power gun for personal defense and hiking (weight is of no issue to me, I carry what I carry...).

Never shot a 10mm but have no issues with .40sw.

I'm really leaning towards the G29 for carry/conceallabiliy.

Those of you in the know:
    1) any regrets?
    2) any known issues with this platform?
    3) holsters readily available
    4) ammo readily available? Not tons of it, and I know it won't be cheap, but can be had in 50 round boxes for training?
    5) any other points?

Thanks,

2. 21Glock

21Glock

I have a 21 and I'll be buying a KKM drop in 10mm barrel soon. The ballistics are very good over your .40S&W. Recoil is sharper, but nothing uncomfortable. I own a .500 S&W Mag. so I have gotten use to recoil in the last few years. The 10mms I've shot, I love them. That's why I am getting a conversion barrel for my 21. If money was available more I'd would get a 20SF myself. Ammo and especially brass for reloading is hard to come by now. You might want to consider getting into reloading. It's alot of fun and saves $$$, particularly these days.

3. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Buddy of mine has a 20 and uses it for a woods gun. It's incredible. Shoots really straight and destroys whatever it hits. I'm making the 10mm transition, I'm hooked. Ammo is crazy expensive...but I plan to start rolling my own. :)

DH

4. PBRLite

PBRLite

I usually just buy brass directly from Starline. They usually have a small back order. Midwayusa carries brass too, also, usually a short wait. As of today it is expected back in by 1/31.

I too have a 21, but I just have a lonewolf 20 barrel for it. I also have a stock 29. Both guns are a hoot to shoot and they both get carried a bunch.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  5. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

Any holster that works for G21 or G30 will work for G20 or G29. Ammo seems to be the only issue. I had a 10mm before and sold it. I was shooting Winchester Silvertip as a defensive ammo with Federal American Eagle as practice. It wasn't worth it to me at the time due to the cost. The Win. Silvertip ammo was nice but I just wasn't happy. When ammo prices rose, the price difference with 10mm didn't seem so bad anymore. This time I decided to go with Doubletap ammo exclusively. I have only shot Doubletap through my new G20 and I couldn't be happier. Before it seemed like I was paying more just to shoot .40 S&W through the other gun. With Doubletap it is a whole nother ballgame. I just buy the 50 rd. boxes of self-defense ammo and shoot that as my practice and SD ammo. It is pricey but very well worth it. I will not shoot the weak stuff out of this gun. If you are going to buy a 10mm do yourself a favor and only buy the full power loads.

6. English

English

Because the Glock 40 slides are so much lighter than the Glock 10mm slides, i doubt that you will feel much difference in recoil. I have a G20 but not a G29. The 20 is a great pistol. It is smaller and lighter than a 1911 and although the main frame and slide are thicker than a 1911, the overal width counting the various levers on the 1911 is much the same. For concealability the thickness at the end of slide and butt are the things that matter most and there the 1911 wins.

I think that the G20 is outstanding but by the time it is shrunk to G29 size it presents a tough choice between that and the G32, just a little taller but thinner and lighter with three more rounds in the magazine, and the G33 which is much smaller and more concealable with only one round less than the G29. The 357SIG does not have the power of the 10mm but it is still very good. Its a tough choice but I don't think there is a wrong answer.

If you are starting reloading, the 10mm is easier than the 357SIG.

English

7. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

Not to hijack but this is related to the OP's questions.

Question for the guys with the G29, how hard/easy is it to hold the grip with full-power loads? I really want to get one but wish that it had the extended mag/finger groove that the G30 has. And yes, I know that I can get an aftermarket extension but I like to keep my stuff stock. I have larger hands and am afraid that the grip will move around in my hand.

8. NWoutdoor

NWoutdoor

Great input folks...the only issue I have is ammo. Not a reloader and do not intend to start (way too many hobbies right now).

I'll do a little shop stopping and see what is out there. If I found ammo around, I'd just bite the bullet and stock up now.

9. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

Yeah, the ammo thing sucks but I just bit the bullet and accepted it. I can't shoot it as much as the other calibers but I do enjoy it much more than 9mm! You will most likely have to do your ammo purchasing online though.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

How well are the Glocks holding up shootiing the hot 10mm?

11. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

Mine has been fine but I don't have a lot through it, <1000rounds. I've kept mine stock.

12. figment

figment Texas Stranger

1) any regrets?
    none
    2) any known issues with this platform?
    not to my experience
    3) holsters readily available
    yes
    4) ammo readily available? Not tons of it, and I know it won't be cheap, but can be had in 50 round boxes for training?
    yes if persistent and your wallet is fat.
    5) any other points?
    It's my fav auto caliber and I have it in three different glocks as well as Colt 1911
    If you can afford the best, then you wont regret it:supergrin:

13. ambluemax

ambluemax

Unless you are going to throw it in a drop leg holster and use it for hunting, I'd go with the 29. I think it would lend itself better to the hiking/backpacking application due to its size. The 20 is the only one of the two I have expirence with though- a friend has one that I can use any time I want. The 20 is a massive pistol. I'd classify the recoil as being on par with a comperably sized 357mag revolver.

I usually ammo shop at the local cabelas retail store, and there 10mm always seems to be in stock in some form or another. Its spendy, but you already knew that. You can get target fmj rounds for it, my understanding is that they are basically hot 40 loads ballistics wise. For your specilized application I think 10mm is a good choice.

14. whitewater

whitewater

I have ordered two holsters from Simply Rugged for my Glock 20 which has both the factory barrel and a 6-inch KKM barrel for shooting lead bullets and the hot Double Tap. Simple Rugged makes a pancake style holster for autos called the Cuda. Also got the Chesty Puller Conversion which converts the holsters to a chest rig. Have had several Simple Rugged and they are my favorite. Very reasonable price for a custom holster.

whitewater

15. figment

figment Texas Stranger

20s have 15 rd clips. That's a "me shoot you looong time" gun. I carry a full clip in the gun and 3 more in my pack. Plenty of time to get to the rifle if I even need it.

16. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Ammo is only an issue for guys who insist on only buying from whatever local Wally World happens to be a block away from their house. If you live anywhere except communist California, you'll probably be able to solve the ammo situation by buying online and letting the UPS guy bring it to your door. I don't waste money on expensive 20-round-per-box big name ammo from gun stores. Just buy from Double Tap or Georgia Arms online for the hot stuff. As for target ammo, you'll likely find it for only 3 or 4 bucks more (per box of 50) than .40 cal in local sporting goods stores - except for maybe Wal Mart.

17. gatorboy

gatorboy

I've shot it for a while and used to laugh when people said ammo was hard to come by. All you had to do was order it online and it would be there, as much as you could afford. Times have changed and there is a long wait for practice ammo from the guys who load it right and charge a fair price. Components are even hard to get sometimes now so you could be sitting around looking at your cold gun waiting on primers even if you reload.. You should still go for it. I never thought I'd pay more for .40 than 9mm and .380 would cost more than 10mm, 357auto, 45ACP and 45GAP but the time is here. A .40 barrel might be a good investment if you don't already own a .40 you like.

18. gatorboy

gatorboy

:rofl: Epic! Truly epic. :rofl:

19. g2122

g2122

I've noticed that just recently Cabela's started carrying more 10mm in other brands besides Winchester Silvertip and Federal HXT. A couple of days ago, I saw where they offered fmc in 50 round boxes of American Eagle and Remington UMC. Hopefully it is becoming more popular.

20. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

"10mm puts bad guys down, trust me ..."
    [​IMG]

:cool: