close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm switching from the XD to a Glock.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AlphaMike, Nov 27, 2006.

1. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Charlie Delta

Hello, New guy here.

I apologize in advance if this has been hashed over before. Just hoping you can help justify my reasoning. Switching gun platforms is not something I take to lightly. Let me just say that I'm a gamer. The gun has always been a means to an end. And that end has been IPSC in the early years and USPSA now. I'm not your ballistic nylon, tactical, trip wire kinda guy.

Since 2004 I been using the XD-40, 5" model with some success. It's used in both Production and Limited 10.
    Ultimately my goal was to modify the XD to a Limited blaster. Well, that ain't happening. Since Springfield Armory has never provided anything more than replacement magazines to the general public. All other requests require you ship the gun to Geneseo , Ill. Pain in the butt. After market parts, pale when compared to other makes.

So Glocking I will go. Please use all of your vast Glock knowledge to help a lost soul get pointed in the right direction. Build me a virtual poor-mans limited gun. And please keep it simple. I'm just not that bright.
    :)

2. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

What's wrong with shooting the XD basically stock?

3. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Charlie Delta

Nothing at all. I've been shooting 1911 single stacks since the 70's. My "modern" gun has been the XD. It's problem is that it's not a good platform to build up from. It's great if you LOVE the Production division. I'm not sure what I feel about Production but I'm pretty sure it ain't love. And, I'm betting USPSA is going to ax L10 very soon. All that said, the specter of a single reload for a 20 or 30 round stage REALLY appeals to me. The XD does not, at this time at least, provide the base for a Limited gun.

4. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

I think your best bet for a Limited gun would be a G35. I am not sure what factory loads will make major PF, but you can reload very easily for that gun. The hi-cap mags with extensions will get you your one reload per stage setup. Also, the G35 will be very close to the platform you are used to.

5. SnooseGoose

SnooseGoose DIAF

As mentioned above the G35 makes a great limited gun and it can be used in production as well. I shot one for quite awhile before I changed to a G24 (also is a great limited gun but can't be used in production). My set up for my limited gun is as follows.

-Dawson Precision .100 front fiber sight
    -Dawson Precision adjustable target rear sight
    -Dawson Precision Ice Magwell
    -Dawson Precision +5 magazine extensions
    -Tungesten extended length guide rod
    -13lb recoil spring (used at 15lb in my g35)
    -reduced power firing pin spring
    -Lone Wolf trigger stop.
    -0.25 glock trigger job (trigger parts buffed and polished)
    -CR Speed belt
    -CR Speed magazine holders
    -Ghost Holster

Most factory ammo will make major, the only factory ammo I ran over the chrono with my G35 was WWB 165's and they averaged 1065fps for a 175pf.

My limited load is 180gr Rainer FP's over 4.7gr vv-320
    OAL 1.132 +/- .002, CCI 500 primers and mixed brass. This averaged 929fps from my G35 for a 167pf.

SG.

6. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

They better not AX limited 10. Their will be a lot of pissed off single stack 1911 users like myself who like using 10 round mags.
    Pat

7. Houngan

Houngan

More along the poor man's Limited gun:

Absolutely must have:

New Sights 60$

Worked trigger, either .25 job or a drop-in kit. 0$, or 60$

If shooting Lim and not Lim10, +5 basepads. 35$ each, need two minimum.

Really, really should have:

Magwell of some sort. There's a 25$ plastic one, then the 55$ brass and 70$ aluminum, from various manufacturers.

You can do just fine with less-than-pro holster and mag pouches, A class and beyond is easily reachable with the extra .5 seconds that the fancy stuff gives you.

H.

8. rhino465

rhino465

Make sure you Area Director and Mike Voigt know how you feel about it. It's in jeopardy right now.

9. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

thanks for the heads up.
    Pat

10. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Charlie Delta

I new this stuff would be good, thanks for the replies.

:popcorn:

Jim

11. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I like limited 10 because it allows me to be competative in ISPC with the same gun I shoot in IDPA. I shoot my Wilson CQB in CDP in IDPA and in limited 10 in ISPC. All I change is my mags. From 8 round mags to 10 round mags. I know I could do that provisiosal single stack catagory. But I prefer limited 10.
    Pat

12. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

I shoot Glocks. That said I have seen soom nice XDs especially the Tac in 45ACP that would be the XD I would have if I ever purchased one. Great sites, good trigger, magwells, and anything else you may need.

Don't understand your desire to get rid of a platform that can. You may have more options with a Glock but a good trigger, sights, bbls etc are still good triggers, bbls, sights etc.

If you do go Glock I hope you like them and they work for you.

sb

13. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Charlie Delta

Thanks for your response. It's the replacement parts the give Glock a major advantage. They are everywhere. Try buying a replacement spring for the XD's trigger or striker assemblies. No fun, no joy at all. Because no one sells them. Plus, Glocks have a four round mag capacity advantage (with extensions in .40S&W) as well. My logic still gives the Glock a comfortable edge.

Jim

14. asintaderoche

asintaderoche

Cheap way to Glocking Limited:

1. Get a used Glock Model 22 .40sw
    2. Change the barrel to longer config (aftermarket threaded or not) you will have an increased velocity with a shorter quick slide. Don't worry about the sight radius because you will be focusing on the front sight anyway.
    3. Make your front sight glow red.
    4. 5 cents trigger job.

:banana:

15. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Charlie Delta

Well thats an interesting approach! 'cept I picked up a used gen 3 G35 this past weekend. The guy I bought it from included a KKM threaded barrel and a Glockmeister two port compensator to sweeten the deal. :thumbsup:

Jim