I'm sure we've all read and listened to Trump's statements regarding C19

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Dynactus, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Dynactus

Dynactus

I'm sure we've all read and listened to Trump's statements regarding C19. Trump seems to be attempting to guide the country thru this pandemic by the words he uses. During his first news conference with his C19 team he used the words, "It is what it is". At the time I thought those were strange words for him to use. Didn't sound like the usual Trump. I think he had just gotten briefed by his team that "Houston, we have a problem" and he was still trying to wrap his mind around it himself, and he didn't want to stampede the herd. Then he pretty much shut the country down. Today he extended the "shutdown" until April 30th. I believe he knew when he started the first shutdown it would be necessary to extend it until... Today Trump said he'd seen early estimates that 2.2 million people could have died if the government had done nothing in a worst-case scenario, so "if we can hold that down to 100,000" or less, it would be a "good job." I think he could be trying to manage the bad news so that all hell doesn't break loose. In other words, he may have been told by his team to expect up to 2.2 millions fatalities in America caused by C19. He seems to be trying to break it to the country gently. There are other examples of the same type statements, but I don't want to make a long post longer.

spork, GlockPride, Westexas and 16 others like this.
  2. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

I agree. Masterful strategy.

Dana Perino did a bit on this the other day. If you tell people people they’re going to go through hell and there is no end in sight, a lot of folks can’t handle it. If you give them a date in two weeks many can say “I can do that”. As the date approaches, you then give them a new target. Now you turned several weeks into digestible morsels.

I get that many don’t like his style, yet here’s another example of turning horrible into the doable.

3. billy_56081

billy_56081

This is my exact thinking. The experts have been telling him from the beginning this is going to be worse than really bad and he is slowly ramping it up to not cause widespread panic.

spork, GlockPride, Westexas and 9 others like this.
  4. billy_56081

billy_56081

If President Trump would have came out in January and said there is a virus spreading through the world that is going to kill millions of Americans do you think the people would have rioted?

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

No, no one would have believed him. Look how many people even now don't believe this is anything but a bad cold.

hugo55, GlockPride, Westexas and 12 others like this.
  6. spork

spork Caffeinator

The media would have ridiculed the idea. A few of us (who were paying attention anyway) would have listened.
    Overall, most people were not ready to hear about this in January. The majority of folks would have been looking for corroborating statements from the mainstream media, and the media just didn't care about this virus at that stage. I remember thinking that the impeachment and Kobe Bryant's death were on non-stop at the time. Barely a mention of WuFlu until it was on our soil.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    pntblnk, flyover, Westexas and 4 others like this.