I'm sick again...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cmb19, Feb 20, 2010.

1. cmb19

cmb19

Almost exactly a year ago I was hospitalized with strep pneumonia..some of you have probably seen my threads on it. Well, I'm sick again, Monday and Tuesday I had a sore throat, Wednesday I developed a cough, today it's pretty bad and I just feel achy. I have felt perfectly fine with the exception of the sore throat and annoying cough, but this morning I just don't feel right.

Tuesday night I started taking a z pack, shouldn't I be feeling better by now? I didn't go see my doctor, just called...fairly certain he had a panic attack when he realized I was sick again. If I'm not feeling at least a little better by Monday I will be calling him again, but if I'm overreacting I'd like to know before I bother him.

Pretty much what can you tell me about z packs?

2. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

Hope you get to feeling better. Can you get the pneumonia shot to give you any sort of resistance. I didn't know if it was any good after you've already had pneumonia. I got mine several years ago.

3. Vic777

Vic777

I typed z pack into google and saw that there are a lot of links ....

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Please don't take any chances.Get to your doctor girl.Hope you feel better soon...

5. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

It's a powerful antibiotic for bacterial infections.

6. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

You should improving by now.Any other symptoms ?

7. happy seal

happy seal

Get better soon kid! :wavey:
    It'll all work out ok!:cool:

8. cmb19

cmb19

I got the pneumonia shot after I woke up in the hospital...I did not however get the flu shot because my mom has reactions to them and was worried I would as well.

I know WHAT a zpack is...I want first hand experiences about them. I'm not completely dense, I know how to get information from Google.

I just feel achy and tired now, my cough has gotten to be a pretty bad one now...one of those cough until I gag type of things. :crying:

9. FrogWithAGlock

FrogWithAGlock Girl with a Gun

You may need a different course of treatment. Call your doctor. Or a pharmacist. Even zpak doesn't work on everything, especially if your "bugs" are becoming resistant.

Hope you're well soon!

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I took it once for Bronchitus.I felt much better in just 24 hours.Within 3 days I was completely better.
    Are you running a fever ?

11. Deputy206

Deputy206

JMO But you need to see your doctor. A persistent cough is nothing to laugh about. I hope you get feeling better.

12. cmb19

cmb19

I never thought about a fever...I don't believe I have one, but I also don't have a thermometer..unless I can dig out my very own personal one from the hospital. Not quite sure if that's in my house or at my parents' though. Let me see if I can find it.

13. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

cmb, I don't have any medical advice for you but you're in my prayers. Hope this one isn't serious and you feel better pronto. :wavey:

14. trifecta

trifecta

The zpak should have done it's job by now. They will likely try a different treatment, hopefully with better results. Keep your fluid intake up so you don't dehydrate and create even worse problems.

15. cmb19

cmb19

Nope, can't find a thermometer anywhere..I don't think I have a fever though.

If I'm not better by Monday, I'll call the doc don't worry. He likes me, made tons of money off of me. :supergrin:

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I'll be heading off to work in an hour or so, and I'll get back to you all when I'm home.

Right now the worst part is the cough...the rattle and the taste...I think I'm having flashbacks to the hospital now. I won't let it get outta hand this time...I am NOT going to have another trache..miserable things that they are.

16. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

This is not medical advice, just some educational points

1) Zithromax does not work on viruses. Most upper respiratory track infections are viral in nature. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. Antibiotics are designed for bacteria only.

2) In high risk patients, some doc's prescribe antibiotics for viral URI's to "prevent" secondary bacterial infections -- this practice has never been proven to be useful. In fact, this practice will often result in resistant bacteria, and in the long run can potentially harm the patient. This practice is generally not recommended by IDSA (Infectious Disease Society of America) guidelines in treating viral URI's. Some doctors do it because patients demand antibiotics... not good practice, but some patients are persistant despite explanations, and doc's give in.

3) Zithromax was a good antibiotics with relatively broad spectrum (meaning against a broad range of bacteria)... but overuse in the last decade or so has made it virtually useless by itself in treating serious bacterial infections. In fact, when treating actual community acquired pneumonia, zithromax is no longer indicated as a first line single agent unless atypical organisms are strongly suspected.

4) Antibiotic pharmacology is very, very complicated and requires a good background in microbiology to fully master. One must also understand the local antimicrobiogram (local resistant pattern). The antibiotic block of pharmacology has the highest failure rate in pharamcology courses in many medical schools. Infectious Disease subspecialty requires a 2 to 3 year fellowship training after one completes 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 3 years of general internal medicine residency. Take home lesson? Don't blindly take antibiotics.

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i was sick yesterday to,

i had the throw ups and and the quick trips to the bathroom,

along with upset tummy ..

18. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Yep...everybody and their momma gets the sniffles and off they go to get Zithromax.

I tell everybody this, and yet when they get sick the first thing they do is run straight to the doctor screaming for antibiotics (which they are usually prescribed) and they wonder why the medicine doesn't work anymore when they get sick now.

It's been almost 10 years since I've taken any antibiotics, and I'm gonna keep it that way until I absolutely need them.

19. lee2

lee2

z-pacs do not work. see your doc again.

20. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

1) Over-prescription of antibiotic is a huge problem. Resistant organisms are getting harder and harder to treat.

2) Proliferations of mini-clinics/urgent cares staffed by PA's and NP's in every grocery store/pharmacy is not helping the problem.

3) Patients expect and demand abx. Many doc's give in because they don't have the time to educate patients... and in many cases explanations to patients fall on deaf ears anyways and patients simply shop around until they find someone who will write the script.

When I used to staff our county's indigent clinic at the medical school, it was common to have patients who refused to leave the clinic without getting antibiotics for their coughs and sniffles. Some doc's gave in right away because the clinic was/is very busy. Me? I would take time and explain very nicely - in laypersons terms - to the patients why antibiotics were not appropriate. Most still left begrudently and unhappy. The few that became belligerent were transferred to the care of correctional health.

4) Antibiotics is one class of medication that should NOT be prescribed over the phone without face to face examinations (with very, very, very few exceptions). Bacterial infections by and large cannot be diagnosed over the phone.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010