close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm ready to bite the bullet and shoot at the 12/7 San Antonio shoot... help a newB!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by pangris, Oct 9, 2004.

1. pangris

pangris Moderator

OK, I'm finally committing. I'm driving to San Antonio for the Dec 4th shoot.

Questions -

How many rounds do you fire? Gssf makes it look like 33. I thought it was more than one pass per setup.

Do you have to be there both days? If I understand correctly, you shoot your courses of fire and then results are posted later.

I have another reason to be in the area so I'm going regardless - but any suggestions for a GSSF newbie would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I'm planning on shooting either my G21 or G17.

Can I enter more than one class and use my Custom G24 as well?

Paul

2. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Pangris, you can enter as many as six classes if you'd like! You can enter Amateur Civilian (or Guardian if you have any police/firefighter/military conncetion), Master Stock (where you will be competing with some Master class shooters!);Q Subcompact or Major Sub if you have a gun that will qualify, Competition and Unlimited. Your 24 will have to be in Competiton or Unlimited, depending on what you have done to it. Most Unlimited guns use red dot scopes!

In two of the stages you shoot three times but on the plates it is four runs. On plates you can load 11 to drop six plates, on the M, you load 11 to drop three steel poppers and tag each of four cardboard targets twice each. On the Five to Glock, you may only fire 10 rounds, twice each on five cardboard targets. Estimate about 100 rounds but take at least twice that because there is usually a "fun" side match. I assume you know of www.gssfonline.com, you can find the course of fire there. That is also where scores will be posted about a week or so after the shoot.

Be prepared to meet some great guy and have a lot of fun, I promise that!:):)

3. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Jump on in, the water is fine! You can shoot a max number of rounds at 107, I believe but most likely you will shoot less than that. Your 17 & 21 either will work in Am-civ but you will have to choose, you can't shoot but once in amateur catagory. As Trooper Dan said, you have some other options that you can shoot also. I typically shoot amateur & competition catagories. I shoot the comp as a warm up for the am class but seems lots of times I shoot better in comp than amateur. Oh well, go, shoot, have fun. That is the order of the day! See you there, MLM

4. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

You should be able to get done shooting in one day. I've shot as many as five categories at one match in one day and was out by three p.m.

You'll also want to show up and get registered as early as you can. I usually show up at around 8:30 and I'm usually first in line or really close to it. After you get registered you'll need to go to each stage and put your name down on the sign up sheets at each stage. Do that as soon as you can because that will keep you from waiting to long. The lower you are on the sign up sheets the more you'll get bumped if you haven't been placed in a squad at that particular stage. After that go back to registration because you'll have to watch a new shooter orientation video.

If you're talking about using the G24 with the Caspian slide that you've posted pictures of you'd have to shoot it in Unlimited. If you still have the Glock Slide and barrel and it is otherwise stock you can shoot it in Competition as well.

As a general rule of thumb I bring one hundred and fifty rounds per category entered just in case I need a reshoot.

Bring a chair and something to drink. Water may be provided by the range but it's a good idea to have some just in case.

Good luck and get A's man!

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

it is twice on each of the four paper targets.

And ONLY ONE of the poppers each round. To hit more in one round is a 10 second penalty Each.

The exception will be--If the wind is high there is only one popper set up. It is locked and you have to hit it once each round.

6. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

In San Antonio make sure you wear boots. If it's raining (or has been raining) the mud is "memorable". A clean pair of shoes/boots is also nice to change into after the match.

Rain gear isn't a bad idea either.

Been there, done that, bought the "T" shirt.

7. TXMike

TXMike

CCV is 100% on target with his comments. Shot in the mud, shot when it was in the 40's and breezy and shot is short sleeves. Never know what to expect so prepare for the worst.

Generally a well run match with reasonable waits. Good crews running the stages there. Check out Clem for Glock goodies as he usually has a table set up.

I'm thinking about heading over if I can heal up between now and then.

8. pangris

pangris Moderator

I'll probably shoot the 21 and the 24, with the 24 in unlimited - what the hell, you only live once...

Thanks for the feedback, any other suggestions are welcomed!

9. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

That's the spirit. :)

10. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

All good advice, will see you there. This will be my 3rd trip to San Antonio.

11. pangris

pangris Moderator

can a first time participant win a Glock? ;a

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

the lewis system helps alot.

Mrs is waiting for her certificate.

13. pangris

pangris Moderator

Good to hear! I had been told you couldn't win until your third match...

How big a match is San Antonio?

Paul

14. RedhorseG20

RedhorseG20

Boy that event sounds like fun to shoot in and I am waiting to get my G20 in but this guy I know is dragging his feet. Maybe he will let me borrow his guns if I decide to go to that event. I let him borrow my car and see what that got me!

15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Paul,

Check last year's results at www.gssfonline.com to see how many shooters were in each category. The results will also give you a good idea about individual scores on each stage.