GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

It's my pleasure to share with you a wonderful addition to the GH Glock Hoard. This is G17 Gen 1 cutaway SN: JQ100.

Before I share the gun with you, I'd like to note that this is yet another rare and important addition to my collection which was solely and only made possible due to the tremendous generosity and kindness of a GT forum member: SmokieXD45.

I know that most of you are well aware, but it bears repeating that Smokie is one of the absolute BEST on GT. He is a collector's collector. He's one of the guys who enjoys sharing his collection as much as if not more than owning it. He has authored some tremendous threads - including his epic one on his Gen 1 19s (yes, plural!) which also contains info on this gun.

He loves to share with other collectors and to help them with their collections. He is always happy to share any info that he has.

Beyond that, he is a fantastic person and just the absolute best person to deal with that one could imagine.

I am honored and humbled that he has entrusted this treasure to me - that he believes that I will be a good steward of it and will make sure that it is available to the collector community for study. Thank you Smokie! You're the best!!!

Now, onto the gun...

Smokie posted the following regarding this gun on his epic thread:

"...the gen 1 17 cutaway. I mentioned it was a special one, and that its serial number is JQ100. The previous owner purchased this gun from Mr Karl Walter, former Vice President of Glock. It was used in police demonstrations during his early career there, helping to teach everyone how good the Glock was. I was told that the scratches on the slide were made in the first armorers class by Mr Walter, by using a punch to demonstrate how tough the tenifer finish was. He also told the previous owner that this was the very first production cutaway produced. Needless to say it's a rare one."

I later posted the following on the Glock Factory Cutaway Models thread:

"Hi Smokie,

I spoke w/Stan. He was able to find the info on these which he got from Glock.

Here's the deal:

There were two runs of Gen 1 17 Cutaways.

Run #1: JQ018-JQ027 imported 1/28/88. They went to Glock sales guys.

Run #2: JQ100 - JQ179 imported 5/4/89. You have the first gun of the second run.

Thus, as I had remembered correctly, there were 90 made.

Not sure if the JQ numbers which are not represented are dead numbers or used for some other model/type of gun.

This is cool info for our records."

Upon further study of the cutaway thread, I noticed a post by patcrad w/photos of a single digit JQ prefix Gen 1 cutaway. Thus, I have to conclude that the guns that Stan was referring to were the ones produced for US import only. It seems likely that the guns not represented by the SNs in the two runs referred to by Stan were in fact produced for European sales.

The latest Gen 1 cutaway that I've seen is JQ173. I've seen photos (I think on GT) of JQ200. JQ200 is a Gen 2. This, the number of Gen 1 CAs (excluding the two hand made AT guns) is between 173 and 200.

I was particularly interested in the history of this gun as it relates to Karl Walter. Smokie referred me to the following excellent link. It is an interview with the Barret (author of Glock the rise of America's Gun) on NPR:

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=170752391

This interview makes clear the integral role that Mr. Walter had in establishing Glock in the US. Being that this was the CA gun that he took around to the depts and used in the earliest armorer's classes I think that it's especially historically significant. I say this because this exact gun played a part in the earliest adoption of Glocks by US PDs. It was this of course which led to civilian sales and to Glock being what it is today.

So, on the one hand this Gen 1 CA likely has more scratches and wear than perhaps any other. That said, I think - and hope - that the historical context of the scratches and wear make it more special and significant - even if some would think that they decrease it's value relative to a totally clean gun. That is in the eye of the beholder of course. For me, I didn't buy it as an investment so I'm fine with the scratches and wear. To me it's a very special gun given it's historical role w/respect the the adoption of Glocks in the US.

So, without further adieu, here it is....

IMG_20190206_213456.jpg
IMG_20190206_213501.jpg
IMG_20190206_213422.jpg
IMG_20190206_213324.jpg
IMG_20190206_213431.jpg
IMG_20190206_213436.jpg

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMG_20190206_212555.jpg
IMG_20190206_212858.jpg
IMG_20190206_212903.jpg
IMG_20190206_212913.jpg

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IMG_20190206_213152.jpg
IMG_20190206_213156.jpg
IMG_20190206_213202.jpg

Here is a close up of some of the marks that Smokie was referring to...

IMG_20190206_213554.jpg

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife looked over and said your gun is broken.... :D
Oh man! I was so happy at how much lighter this one was relative to my other ones.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Is it rude to ask what you paid for it? Very cool pick up.

·
21,332 Posts
Awesome addition. Adding a few more Gen1 19 to the collection as well?

Reactions: glockhoarder

·
21,332 Posts

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: professor309

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
That's so awesome! Perfect condition becomes insignificant compared to historical significance! I think tomorrow morning I'm going to file for a non-profit museum so I can start begging to be in your will :cheers:

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
troy ounce gold
1,435 Posts
Another key acquisition in your ever-growing esoteric GLOCK collection.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it rude to ask what you paid for it? Very cool pick up.
This was a private deal so I can't say. As I'm sure you can imagine, it was a substantial amount.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fantastic piece of history right there. I see they did away with the hole beneath the trigger guard on later versions. I wonder why.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for sharing this with us. Would also love to have one.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome addition. Adding a few more Gen1 19 to the collection as well?
You know, it turns out that collecting Gen 1 19s is an extremely expensive hobby.

The only gen 1 19 that I would like to purchase would be a clean DN prefix gun. The owner of the only one that I know exists is well aware of this fact :)

·
21,332 Posts

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fantastic piece of history right there. I see they did away with the hole beneath the trigger guard on later versions. I wonder why.
I noticed that as well. I did a double-take when I saw it I don't know when they stopped. I also don't know why they stopped because without that that remains the one mechanism of the gun that's not visible in the cutaway.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts