close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm out of step with my community.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by geminicricket, Oct 4, 2003.

1. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

This morning I went to get a haircut at a mom-n-pop barbershop. Pop and Mom were talking about hunting season and getting the land ready for their hunting buddies.

Later I went to a jewelry store to leave my wife's new rings to be soldered. The clerk in the repair shop was complaining about her husband's hunting, but at least it got him out of the house and made him happy.

So, other than 1. Got no long gun, 2. Got no gear, 3. Got no truck,
    4. Got no place, what issues do I need to resolve to become the compleat hunter?

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

What do you want to hunt?

3. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Starting off on a path to become a complete hunter is admirable but as the Chinese say "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step".

Talk more with local hunters and find out what type of game they persue. I'm just guessing but deer and javelina hunting are probably pretty common in your area. Next put out some feelers at your local gun shop or shooting range for other hunters that you might be able to hook up with. If you can start out with a more experienced hunter that's the best entrance I can think of.

Do you have an Outdoor News type of publication in your area? If so see if you can pick up a copy at the newstand or subscribe for a year. These type of pubs typically have stories about what hunters are getting and where they are getting them. It also will have ads for guides from around the area/state and beyond.

If you can't get hooked up with a local experienced hunter then I'd highly recommend seeking out a guide and tell him right from the start that you are green but eager to learn. It has been my experience that hunters are generally willing to share their knowledge with newcomers.

4. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Short Cut, thanks for the tip on information.

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

geminicricket,

My friend, as some one on here already asked..."What do you want to hunt!?".....

Good queston. First of all decide that issue.
    Then get a gun to 'fit that need.'
    Drive whatever you already own at present. you don't 'have to have,' a truck to start with!

Talk, ask questions, get to know some of the other hunters around there, and land owners as well. God forbid, but use public hunting land if you have to for a while, to at least get you feet wet.

consider, perhaps, small game hunting at first. Rabbits, squrrel (sp), etc. You can do this with a 22 rifle and the ammo is cheap. OR, a gun like a savage over and under, with 22 on top, and 12ga. on bottom, or a host of other calibers in those over and unders by savage, or new england arms, and they are rather in expensive.

Perhaps start this way, then next year, after you have had a chance to find a good deer hunting ground, or turkey etc... work into that.

for now, just ponder this suggestion, and relax, and go have some fun with what you can afford, and what you already drive. :)

HTH!

It will work out, just use your head, and take your time, and 'do not' let folks 'talk you into a ton of stuff you do not need for now.

Good hunting!

CanyonMan

6. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

Going hunting for the first time without a friend or family member to show you the ropes can be very intimatidating.

Ask around and find someone is the easiest way...

7. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

Mr Cricket
    Id recommend snipe hunting you wont even need a gun.Id be more than willing to take you if you get in the florida area.;f

8. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Dove hunting is rather easy and plenty of leases($25-40) around dfw. Best hunting is over grain(milo,maize), second being sunflowers. The season ends around oct 30 in the north(above I-30) and central(I-30 to I-10) zones. There is a "split" season in the central zone that runs from Dec 26th to around Jan 6th(I think, pick up a rules and reg book from Academy, Wal mart, Oshmans, Galyan's)

You can pick up a Remington or Mossberg shotgun for around $200. A camo shirt($8-12), bird vest($20-45) and boots/jeans do fine. A camo bucket($20) is nice to sit on while waiting for a flight, they usually come in waves.

PM me if you want the ph# to a good Dove lease in Cleburne.

9. hoagie55

hoagie55

You better attend the hunting education class before you even think of going hunting. They are mandatory and you will learn quite a bit on hunting and the different animals available in your state. You can even ask the teacher for some pointers on the game as well as ask him to suggest a mentor to take you out. Hunters are very generous people and will usually take out a novice in the early season. Deer hunting may be a different story as some people are really stingy with their hunting locations.

Matt

10. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Excellent point about the hunters education. Check the regs but I beleive the cutoff is sept 1971, born after and you have to attend, born before and you skate.

The class is boring but a necessary evil.

11. hoagie55

hoagie55

Regardless whether you beat the mandatory cutoff date or not, if you have never hunted before you should attend the hunter's safety course. It may be boring, but it is a wealth of knowledge for the beginner.

Matt

12. Esox357

Esox357

Hoagie has it right, start with a hunter education course. You will learn everything from identifying your game, game laws, proper equipment or suggested equipment, field care of game, tracking, locating game, safety when using firearms, and you might even meet a partner to hunt with. Here in Nebraska there is no age cut off for attending and the class is free. The class is usually over three days for about four hours the first two days and then you take the test if you decide to. If you can find an experienced hunter that has patience to tag along with that would be ideal. Most hunters will help new hunters and are friendly and ethical. Beware though hunting is very addictive. If you need any help post back, several memebers here are a wealth of knowledge and I have found no greater site than this. Take Care Esox357

13. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Well Sir, I attended the course in Tx and unless you have your head up your arse they aren't telling you anything new. Certainly not a "wealth of knowledge".

14. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Dang strider what's with the tone? That's not like you.

I think it totally depends on who is teaching the class. It's been over 25 years since my hunter safety class but the instructor made the class interesting by covering field craft and survival skills in addition to the gun safety stuff.

15. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

Hey, my freinds say there are gonna take me snipe hunting! I've got my canvas bag, and a really big butterfly net. But I can't figure out why I need a half gallon of vodka and a large jar of vasoline.
    ;e ;P ;g ;f