I'm not allowed to feed the homeless...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Mar 27, 2010.

1. vart

vart

My wife volunteers at a local Salvation Army kitchen that our church takes turn using with other churches to feed the homeless.

We get a lot of California hippy reject bums in our area, and after my wife related an exchange she had with one, I knew I would be in jail right now if it had happened to me.

My wife is an amazing cook and has ran her own catering business. One weekend, she decided to make her wonderful manicotti, french bread, string beans, with watermelon for dessert.

Manicotti is large pasta shells stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, spices, and ground beef.

It is amazing...

So, she works her tail off preparing this wonderful meal and her and my daughter are serving it up when some loser, long-haired burned out hippie from California comes through and says he is offended because he's a vegetarian and there is no alternate main dish to the Manicotti.

Of course, my wife was pleasant and apologetic.

I would have made it so he could not eat anything, vegetable or meat, unless it was served through a straw...:steamed:

And that is why she won't let me help her feed the homeless this weekend...:whistling:

2. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

The alternative dish would be for him to eat S*IT :rofl:

edited to add: your wife's manicotti sounds AWESOME!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

3. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Yet another "victim".

You mean old nasty hater of "poor" people.:tongueout:

4. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Friend of mine offered a homeless guy a job changing golf cart tires. Guy had a sign that said will work for food too. When offered the job, he scoffed, said he doesn't want to work, turned, and walked to the other side of the underpass.

Most homeless people are mentally ill, criminals (sometimes violent) staying off the radar, people released from prison who can't get a job, or people who don't care to do anything. The occasional person who did things right, hit a streak of bad luck, and became homeless, exists, but it's about as rare as winning $1,000 on a scratch-off lottery ticket.

I've met people who go out of their way to help these people, even some letting them in their vehicles (!!!) to give them a ride. I understand they want to help, but they don't realize what many of these folks can do. Usually, after explaining this, most are a little more cautious around them.

Personally, I've drawn on a crazy homeless guy who threatened to kill "someone" (me) with his screwdriver/knife thing while I was sitting in my car eating lunch. Started as a "Hey man, can I get some change..." thing too.

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Culture of entitlement. His youknowwhat IS the center of the universe you know.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

7. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i wouldnt even be feeding them in the first place ..

especially the entitled ones ..

although i have gotten some of the guys on the side of the road an apple or similar things,

along with one or two guys a big bag of dog food for his pup that was with him

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Vart, have you considered that perhaps it's dealing with violent attitudes like yours that put this poor disadvantaged child-o-God where he is today? And maybe he's right. Maybe it's overconsumption of meat and meat by-products which has made you so intolerant of persons who have alternate lifestyles. Remember, not everyone has won at life's lottery the way you have. :wavey:

10. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

Perfect example of why I wouldn't shed a tear if California sank into the Pacific.
    -Joel

11. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

I wonder who HE voted for!!??:supergrin:

12. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Are you joking? People don't get to the places they are in life, good or bad, by luck or accident. They get to where they are through the choices they make. Homeless people are homeless as a consequence of their decisions.

My sympathy for them ended 20 years ago when I found out first hand how many really wanted food, and how many just wanted to get high on somebody else's dime.

13. Swiper

Swiper

Is that really a vegetarian dish? :cool:

14. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

how the hell can you be a picky eater when your getting food from a soup kitchen? WTF?! I would have been the same way you are. BTW, I'm italian and you Mrs manicotti sounds awsome!! Send me some to Korea

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

oh now you've triggered a level 6 tbracing tsunami of repsonses.

Let me go find the hip waders... :rofl:

He was taking a slightly sarcastic jab at Vart's past troubles.

'Drew

16. vart

vart

Gwalchmai hates me.

Jealous of how I managed to work myself back on top and overcome life's struggles...:tongueout:

17. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

When I was younger, by only a few years, and more naive than I am now a homeless guy asked me for money for drink because he was thirsty. I offered him a cold bottle of water and he threw it at me. Now those folks that man the major intersections by the dozens, and come up to your car with an expectant smile and a little bucket saying I should feed the homeless are p[retty soon backing away from my car and looking a little concerned. I've been there, done that, hired the homeless and down on their luck, gave one couple money for breakfast and they bought Jim Beam. I ran rhem off before noon.

18. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

:wavey:Can I have the recipe for the manicotti? Please? :drool:And do I serve it with marinara? I'm always looking for recipes. I'll send you a southern recipe in exchange. Pretty please?:eat:

19. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

au contraire. You are my inspiration. ;)

:supergrin:

[​IMG]

20. vart

vart

I will forward this to my wife...:cool: