close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm looknig to replace my printer.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Jun 28, 2006.

1. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I need recemendations for a new printer. I have an inkjet now, but I print so little that the cartridges end up drying out befor I have printed a dozen pages. I only print every few weeks/months.

I was thinking a laser printer would not have tis problem as the toner is dry already. I know that the up front price would be a lot more, but would pay for itself in not haveing to replace ink (at $30 each) every few months.

What are some other options?

What are some good, cheap options for a color (photo) laser?

Thanks
    :beer:

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

3. speedcraver

speedcraver

I had the same problem. I picked up a Samsung CLP 510 color laser printer for $299.00 at worst buy new in box.

I do not have a need for super high quality printing. This will do 1,200 X 1,200 dpi and works very well.

It even has duplexing as a standard option.

Good luck in your quest!

Edited to add: "The LINUX drivers suck!" The print quality is terrible under LINUX

4. apollyonis

apollyonis

Laser printers are more economical for the price of toner...but the toner that comes with a new printer is usually only half of the cycle of a new toner. The smaller personal laser printers usually have a set amount of memory which can't be upgraded - always look at that if you plan on printing a lot or large files later on down the road.

Unless you're printing a lot of photos or color pages, a color laser would not be a viable option. If you're printing your own family photos, you'll probably get a lot better quality out of the printer you have now with some regular maintenance which usually comes in software suites - it keeps the nozzles from drying up.

Final note : Never EVER plug in a laser printer to a UPS or the same power strip as your computer. Laser printers use up a LOT of voltage to power up corona wires and thermal fuser.

5. cmb2874

cmb2874

Look at the newer Canon's with the PIXIMA technology. Very nivr, quiet, and fast.