I'm killing myself.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Jan 12, 2010.

1. vart

vart

Literally killing myself by getting stressed out from work.

The last couple of months, the quality of work and service that my company has provided to it's customers has dramatically dropped.

I work for USAA insurance and when I first started over a couple of years ago, I was absolutely convinced that we had the best customer service of any company I've seen.

As a claims adjuster, I have the opportunity to provide the best customer service possible every time the phone rings, and I have for over two years.

However, the old CEO resigned and we got a new one and ever since we have focused more on numbers than on service.

We opened up our membership to anyone who has ever served and signed up thousands of new customers without increasing staffing levels, which has resulted in back-to-back calls and adjuster file logs going from 20-30 files per adjuster to close to 200.

I used to get a screwed up claim or unhappy customer about once a week. I would then spend about 45 minutes doing what it took to make things right.

Now, I get 2-3 of those calls every day, and I am mentally and physically exhausted from trying to do the right thing.

I just spent 50 minutes apologizing to a customer and making multiple calls, speaking with managers, and documenting the issues that need addressed when I got a migraine.

I get real migraines and they knock me out for a couple of days.

I had a heart attack sometime in the last couple of months that I don't remember but my doc said I suffered permanent damage to my heart.

I gained 40 lbs working here in the 1st 3 months and my cholestoral went through the roof.

I am gone 13.5 hours a day for four days a week and every Saturday. My wife is ready to divorce me and if I quit this job; she will.

I need to figure out how to not let this job stress me out so badly. The first couple of years were great; happy customers, happy co-workers, just a long day.

Now, I feel like I'm burning out quickly.

But, the job has awesome benefits, decent pay, and I'm hoping things will improve around here if I just hang on another few months.

2. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I wonder if you should edit your post and not name your employer... just in case.

FWIW I've been using several departments of your company for a long time, and have never been less than satisfied.

Keep your chin up

3. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh? Wish I could offer some time proven wisdom but I'm in my own similar type catch 22.

4. goatranch

goatranch

That is sad. With much competition everywhere today and money tight I don't see people tolerating crappy service very long. They don't have to. Banks, super market or gas station...people will find good service and leave places that don't have it.

5. Glenn129

Glenn129

Believe me the numbers will drop if this poor customer service continues. Been there and experience the same thing. Your problems are beyond your control. Start looking for another job.

6. GAFinch

GAFinch

7. trifecta

trifecta

I use them and will agree, the service is great. Wish I had better advice. Make the most of your off time, get good rest, and plenty of exercise. I've had a job that kicked my rear before, so I feel for you.

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

Good luck to ya Travis, I hope things get better for ya my friend:angel:

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

get something to help you relax, hobby wise, fishing, hunting, tinkering on cars,

dont take your frustration / anger out on your wife / kids / dog ..

leave your work at work, dont bring it home,

dont let it get to you, its a job, and do the job , dont let it get you stressed, just do your work and go home ...

10. muad

muad Lifetime Member

Wow, this story sounds horrible.

I understand what it's like to be at a job for a given length of time, and watch the work load increase, with little to no increase in compensation (as least not in the same % as the increase in work).

I believe that if you hate what you are doing, you shouldn't do it. You won't benefit yourself, your family, or your employer.

Your situation sounds like you "liked" the job when you were able to actually help people, but now the company is focused on numbers and profit, rather than providing the best service they can to their customers. This is not good.

I'd say to put your antennas out for new job opportunities in the same field, with some other agency that might still operate the way your current employer did. They might offer similar benefits and pay.

As for your Wife, this upsets me the most out of everything you mentioned. When two come together in marriage, it's suppose to be together till the end, better or worse, etc. She "should" stand by your side, on whatever decision you make. I would hope that she would be more concerned with your health and well being than your paycheck.

Houses can be replaced, along with any other material possessions. However, your life can not.

I'd also say PRAY, like you've never prayed before. Not sure on your religious beliefs, but from your Signature, I'd say possibly Christian. If so, I'd pray and fast that God would open the door for a better opportunity for you as well as help with your relationship with your Wife.

I don't know why I'm writing all this, as I've never conversed with you before. But, I hope that some of this makes sense, and maybe something I said can help you in some way.

I'll be praying for you and your family,

Good luck, and keep your head up.

-Will

11. new_master

new_master

Its all good. Don't let the stress get to you. If it backs up, let it back up. until they see it, stuff will no change.

Just start giving people more money :) Payback is a ***** ! lol

12. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

You need to make a change.
    You do not want someone like me checking you out.
    :supergrin:

13. blackjack

blackjack

While it may have been ill-advised, career-wise, to name your employer in your post, I am glad you did as I was considering going back to them with my homeowner and auto insurance. I have a quote in hand and have had a follow-up call from them asking when I plan on making a decision and this little nugget has filled in the blanks for me.

Since I have the BTDT T-shirt in the job/career change area, I strongly advise moving on, especially with the symptoms you have described. I don't think it is too alarmist to say that if you don't, you may soon wake up dead. It is very liberating to separate from a stressful work environment. Thinking it will get better in a few months is just fooling yourself and you know it. You are not just "burning out" -- you have already arrived at the burnt toast stage, especially with the undiagnosed, untreated heart attack.

If you don't get out soon, I hope all of your affairs are in order. Sorry to sound like such a Debby Downer but that is the reality you need to face.

If I can offer one glimmer of hope, it is that most people join companies and leave supervisors. If this is a factor for you (bad supervisor), is there any chance of changing supervisors to improve your work environment?

14. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

:cool:

15. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

vart- You need to go one of two places-

Southern Nevada-
    [​IMG]

or Northern Nevada-
    [​IMG]

16. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

I'm well versed in stress, and some time ago, a guy I hold a lot of respect for told me to "Pay Yourself First", when I described something similar to what you're referring. What it means is that you have to look out for your own best intersests first, otherwise you can't be a good employee, husband, father, etc., and I mean that in a healthy manner.

You need a change professionally, that's clear, and you also need to explain to your wife what you're going through, and what you need from her; not approval, but patience, so you can make everything right.

After that, it's the usual things; eat right, get enough rest, exercise, and make time for yourself. Perhaps even get some counselling, there's not a thing wrong with asking for help, and no one has to know you're going, either. Do whatever you have, but for your own sake, don't do nothing. Make the changes you have to.

17. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

You're one of the best, Travis. Don't let it destroy you or your marriage.

Rock on.

Arq the Terrible usually gives the best advice.

18. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

My work is contracted, a sort of long-term temporary situation in engineering.

Over the years it's been necesary to work for some companies I would never have choosen to work for except that it was an opportunity to work on a project I couldn't refuse, because of the money, the value added to my resume, etc.
    I did it anyway, because of what I stood to gain from it. Usually, these opportunities spanned a year or so, sometimes longer.

I often worked closely and worked very long hours with people I would not want to be around day-to-day, people with whom I would never choose to associate otherwise.

Such situations made major portions of my life for the past 30 years on this planet very stressful, so much so that there were times I doubted that I could survive it.

Now, I'm working for one of the best-mangaged, highest-quality companies I have ever known, and I'm working with people who are some of the very finest individuals I've ever met. That is no exageration, some really high-quality individuals with whom I enjoy spending long working hours.

The project on which I'm working is so stressful that my blood-pressure keeps peaking at like 162/98 just so far this week.
    It's so intense that I can't sleep and have no time for ANYTHING other than occasionally surfing GT for a minute or two here and there, and going to the local shooting range with a couple of co-workers twice a month.

I am very blessed.
    I'm happy to be employed, and working on something that is totally fascinating.
    While it lasts...

Vart, I do hope that you find some balance. Life's too short to be miserable 4- hours per week.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  19. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

That sux I hate it for ya. I know what it is like to hate a job

20. Adjuster

Adjuster

As a insurance adjuster myself that has worked for USAA many times they have a very good solid reputation. Both from the industry side and the customer side. I will be disappointed if what you are speaking of is an ongoing company trend. I can only assume you are a salaried employee. Have you considered independent? Best move I ever made career wise!