close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm in love

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by okie, Sep 9, 2004.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

People I am flipped out head over heels in love. I have been swept of my feet, by the love of my life. Hot damn I'm in love
    Let me splain what happened. I went to wally world this morning to pick up a couple of things, I walked by this one display and they had some Marinated Mozzarella cheese in there. It is marinated with garlic,
    red peppers and olive oil. I bought some and ate the stuff. I am now head over heals in love with this cheese, it IS the best freakin cheese I ever put in my freakin mouth. Hot damn this stuff is freakin good. I am in love folks ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3 ;3

2. cashisking

cashisking

damn okie, my arteries clogged just reading that!!!! Sounds xcellant!!!;f

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oh it is. Actually it is way better then that

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Looks yummy Okie!

I'll be right over :)

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

I will be waiting;) :cool:

6. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai Sensei Member

Okie:

GREAT NEWS....

YOU CAN MAKE IT YOURSELF!!!!

------------

Hand-Pulled Mozzerella--

Salt
    2 gallons water
    1 Pound fresh mozzarella curd
    1 Cup finely chopped basil
    1 Cup roasted garlic

In a large stock pot, add the water. Add enough salt to the water until it tastes like saltwater. Bring the temperature of the water up to about 120 to 130 degrees, until the touch of the water is like hot bath water. Place a colander in the water. Crumble the cheese curd into the water. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the curd starts to pull. Using your hands or a spoon, pull the cheese until it begins to hold shape. It's like pulling taffy. Do not over pull the cheese because the end product will be rubbery. It is like you are pulling taffy. If the cheese hardens too soon, dip the cheese back in the water and repeat the pulling process. After the desired weight is achieved dip the cheese in an ice bath. The cheese can either be stored in salted water or rolled in plastic wrap. If you want to flavor the cheese, add the flavorings during the pulling process. Rub your hands with the herbs and garlic and work them into the cheese.

-----------

I adapted these directions from a recipe off of the Food TV website (thanks, Emeril!!!). I've been making mozzy for some time myself, but these directions came out alot more concise than my attempts to put down the method, so I stole this (LOL).

For marinading cheese, this takes experimentation to see what you like. I have made a marinade of balsamic vinegar, basil, garlic, and red pepper that some folks really liked, but I didn't (I'm not a big fan of balsamic vinegar or red pepper). This cheese also works well for smoking (never had smoked mozzy? MMMMMMMMMM!!). I actually find that my favorite way to add flavor to the cheese is to store it for several hours in a bath of half saltwater and half milk.

"Hardening" the cheese for other uses (like for pizza) can be done, by storing it in heavily-salted salt water, or by warming through (I've seen it done with a dehydrator set to "ultra-low", but have never tried it myself). I don't like hardening the cheese, but a few people I have supplied it to do it themselves.

A favorite use of this cheese, for me, is to make the mother of all artery-cloggers:

FRIED MOZZERELLA CHEESE

Obviously, I don't eat it too often (LOL), but for mozzy-lovers, it is stellar. It's ridiculously easy to do... hot skillet, extra-virgin olive oil, and slabs of cheese that you fry until golden brown.
    Serve with garlic bread.

7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Man-O-Man!! I'd never had fried mozzerella until a few years ago as an apitizer at a nice resteraunt in Buenos Aires. Wicked good stuff for sure! Anything that tastes that good can't be good for ya', but hey, you gotta try it!!

Just be careful it's not too hot, as it can stick to the top of your mouth like a rather tastier version of naplam!!;P

8. Roundeyesamurai

FullClip:

Hell yeah man!

Here's another fantabulous use for the hand-stretched mozzy:

PIZZA MARGHERITA

You'll need a crust (I often cheat and use a Boboli crust, because they really are good). Brush the crust with olive oil (lightly). If making your own crust, bake it until it is done, and then brush with oil and proceed:

Cut slices of mozzerella and knead out a bit by hand. Cover the crust with slices. Sprinkle with basil.

(If desired, top with tomatoes (dried is best), garlic (or garlic salt), cooked onions, or whatever you like! Remember, though, that the pizza is supposed to be a compliment to the cheese itself, so be careful about meats, other cheeses, overuse of toppings, etc. Unlike a "common" pizza, the whole idea is to "showcase" the freshness of the cheese.)

Bake at 450 for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Optionally, you can also broil the top for an extra minute.

(Occasionally, you may discover that you over-oiled the top, or some of the toppings contained too much liquid. This is easily fixed, after baking, by removing from the oven and immediately beating the top with the edge of a large knife. The excess liquid will rise to the top of the cheese and can be dabbed off with a napkin. Then smooth the cheese back down.)

Allow the pizza to cool for 1-2 minutes, to allow the cheese to set, then cut in and enjoy!

9. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Roundeyesamurai, this is exactly what I have been looking for. I will have to try this. On equestions is where do you get the curd at? Is this from a specialty shop, I do not remember seeing it at Giant?

10. Roundeyesamurai

Nicky D:

Actually, I get it at Wegman's (Big Giant Bestest Grocery Store In The Whole Wide World!). However, Wegman's is pretty much an Upstate NY phenomenon, so I think you'd have to look around to find it. If you have a supermarket which has a decent cheese department, they may be able to order it for you. Other than that, yeah, might end up being a specialty store.

Also, scan closely the dairy aisle, because sometimes I've seen it (in small quantities) buried in a nonsensical spot near the butter or the sour cream (LOL).