close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm Hurt and I Blame DBD!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Nov 29, 2006.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I went to the garage to do today's workout. Overhead squats for 5x5.

In my garage gym I have a squat stand and I use saw horses for spotting squats. I nver felt the urge to pay for something like Pillars of Power since the saw horses do the job.

Anyhow, since I have bumpers, I don't need to spot Overhead squats, so I was using the saw horses to hold the bar for loading. Anyhow, the empty bar rolled off of the saw horses and the collar landed on my small toe. The bottom of my toe is now turning purple and black, and the top is verry swollen. The whole toe is too sore to walk. It is Brad's fault.

Why is it Brad's fault that I got hurt because I was too cheap to buy good equipment and to stupid to watch the bar? Well, it just is. :banana:

DBD, just incase you are wondering, yes, this really did happen, but no, it's just tongue in cheek, you are not to blame.

Jack

2. DBradD

DBradD

Man, that stinks. I hope it gets better fast. I remember one time my wife stubbed her little toe walking through the house and I remember her being miserable. Sounds like your toe is probably even worse because I think her toe barely got blue on the bottom, IIRC.

I hope you don't have to miss tonight's ultra-gasfest, Barbara. I'm expecting that to be one of the most miserable experiences of my life so far... :faint: I think I'm weird for looking forward to that. It's gonna be one of those "hands on knees, wheezing, and seeing stars" workouts.

Last night was the first time, maybe ever, that I've done overhead squats. I think that's the toughest middle back workout I've done in a long time. I'm lucky I didn't hurt something getting the bar into position and then down after the first set until I thought of a better way. That's one tough exercise! I can't imagine bringing a heavy snatch out of that hole. Unbelievable balance, flexibility, and back strength required. Of course my weight could've been blown away by a light wind, but that's ok for the first time.

3. California Jack

Yeah, I will be able to do today's workout. I can do about anything except run now. I will be doing the Brand X puppy version. Are you scaling it?

Bruising on top and bottom now and swollen all the way around. However, I do not believe it to be broken.

Overhead squats are tough. I haven't done them in a year since I was split snatching. I no longer have the requisite flexibility so I only worked up to a top set of 65 pounds. Finished the workout despit my accident. Before it OHSs, to warmup and to get some real work in, I ran intervals for 20 minutes on my treadmill.

Let you know how the workout goes.

Jack

4. DBradD

DBradD

Yeah, I'll scale it for sure, because I can't do 100 dead hang pull-ups without resting a very long time and I don't kip yet. The last few scaled workouts, I've done the pack version. I probably go through the first cycle and look at the time. If I think I can get it done in <30 minutes, then stick with the pack version. If not, then switch for the last 4 cycles.

One weird thing is that it's entirely possible to get a less effective MetCon workout by choosing one of the harder ones. For example, I get winded doing the squats, but then end up doing so many pull-up singles that my heart rate and breathing come back to completely normal. I think this defeats the purpose on MetCon days.

5. California Jack

DBrad,

Using puppy workout, and having tol do jumping pullups the last round, I still almost puked. I am PATHETIC!

Times:

RD 1 2:12
    2 2:21
    3 3:21
    4 4:33
    5 3:19

I had to break the situps into sets.

6. DBradD

DBradD

:banana: :banana: Almost puked--must be doing something right! I guess I wouldn't know for sure, but those don't strike me as being bad times. Not like you were there for an hour or something, or had to quit.

My agony will begin in a few hours. Just ate and would like to use those calories to do external work rather than meeting Pukey the Clown.

7. California Jack

Well, thanks Brad. But remember, this is scaled way back to 5/10/15/20.

Had to swallow hard twice. I was actually surprised.

Got to work out early today, we had a snow day fom work.

One bit of something I consider bad news: I checked and last time the workout the day after Barbara was Tabata This. YIKES! I all for a day of 8 singles in the C&J!

Good luck tonight.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Well, I made it through:

Barbara Lite (5 rounds of 10 pull-ups, 20 pushups, 30 situps, 40 squats, 3:00 rest between rounds)

4:15
    4:50
    5:03
    5:04
    4:46

#*#*@@* situps!! I hate situps!!

I think the WoD are random, so you might get your wish for a ME day tomorrow. If it's tabatas, look at the bright side--it's 4 minutes of extremely severe pain vs 10-20 minutes of severe pain. Not sure which is worse.

9. DBradD

DBradD

So much for your wish for a ME day! At least it's not tabata this. They knew that you hurt your toe, so scheduled running. It is a cult, you know, and they monitor us.

Edited because I just remembered the toe thing.

10. California Jack

I won't be hitting the pavement, that's for sure. We got about 8" of snow on top of a good thick layer of ice. On top of that my toe is still hurting. I'll find something else to do. If my toe feels better, I'll use my treadmill. Too bad, I think I'd actually enjoy a good run.

Good job on completing the Porch workout!

11. California Jack

Oh yeah, hey, did you get all 50 pullups from the hang? I had to cheat to get my 25.

12. DBradD

DBradD

Yeah, but I never could've done that just a few months ago. I think I remember my first few pullup workouts this past summer being a set of 4-5 followed up by a few sets of 1-2. A week or so ago, the WoD was 5 rounds of bodyweight BP for reps + pull-ups for reps and I did 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, a huge improvement since starting CF.

Remember how Al Gore had his one-word "lockbox" to describe his social security plan? He'd probably use the word "pullup" to describe CF, LOL. I swear that seems like half of what we do.

13. DBradD

DBradD

Thank you very much.

Good job back at you. That must've been a miserable workout this early on. I think I about had an out-of-body experience during the first MetCon workout that I did.

14. California Jack

Iced my toe took Ibuprofen and ran 3 miles on my treadmill in a sad 31:30 on a 1% incline. I forgot mto go the english equivalant of 5K -- 3.1 miles. Will do that next time and will hopefully go faster than 10 minute miles.

About my toe. Brad, once I did the same thing your wife did and it was more painful than what I did the other day. Although iot is still swollen, purple and black it is not really that painful.

15. DBradD

DBradD

Bruised toe, first running WoD, ice--whatever. The man cannot be stopped!

We did 5k a couple of weeks ago which was the first serious running I'd done in a long time. I was happy just to finish! I would hope for a better time today, but we have 30mph+ wind gusts out there which will make it a lot harder. Might go to our gym's indoor track.

I wish I could run 10k because I think it's very functional to be able to cover that much ground, but I just don't think I could do it without cramping or having something spasm. A lot of CFers add things they're interested in, so I might start running more now that I'm not getting very sore.

16. DBradD

DBradD

Second 5k run in about 2 weeks, after not running for years. Knocked 2:15 off my previous time. I'm already within about a minute of my PR that I set when I was 18 and running these as part of track practice. CF is really kicking me into shape!