close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Im hooked on creek fishing!.....Any tips?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 2_Djinn, Oct 24, 2003.

1. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn

Here in North West Indiana right off of Lake Michigan we have a awsome salmon run...

A few guys I work with go down to the creek every year and I went with and hooked in a 28lb King Salmon. It was awsome. Since then ive went about 4 times and every time ive hooked into steel heads,brown trout, ect.

We all just tie the hook about a foot and a half up the line and put 3 or 4 splitshots on there and use nightcrawlers. What do you guys use?

2. flinch

flinch Nortius Maximus

One interesting way to fish creeks is to suspend a jig (1/32nd oz) under a styrofoam float. Usually, putting the jig right above the bottom will put you into fish. Since you are running into salmon and trout, good colors are orange, red, chartreuse, pink, and white. Be careful with your drifts, and don't let the current drag the float.

For a lot of fun, try an ultralight 7' rod with 2lb test fluorocarbon.

3. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn

Ill have to give that a try next year. The run is almost over. Theres just a few steelheads in there now.

Any advise on a good reel? I have a Quantim Hyper-Cast and its a POS. I have had it for 6 years and i have just never had it work right.

4. method

method

That sounds like a lot of fun. I thought you were talking 10-20ft across, 1-3 ft deep kinda creeks. Fished a bunch of those back in Ohio...was surprised at the size of some of the bass lurking in them.

5. flinch

flinch Nortius Maximus

Try a Shimano Sahara 1000.