I'm going to shave my head. Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SawgrassRaven, Jan 18, 2010.

1. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

Hello all!

I shaved my head last June for a Breast Cancer fundraiser. I loved it. It felt great, low maintenance, and to my mind, it seemed 'cleaner'. My three year old didn't like the change at first, but he got used to it pretty quick.

I grew it back, but I am seriously thinning in the front, and the crown is all but gone. Tired of fighting the inevitable. And, I just miss the way it felt.

So, I have decided it's time.

I think this weekend will be a great time to begin my new (and permanent) look.

Any fellow bald guys here care to weigh in?

:wavey:

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I'm bald by choice here. Well, not durring the winter though, I go clippers with no guard. I need some traction to keep a winter hat on. But, the rest of the year I use headblade products to keep the dome smooth.

3. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

< ========= Not shaved, but sporting a #1 Oster these days.

I hate it when it takes more than a drop of shampoo to was my hair.

I do shave the front.

4. grendelprime

grendelprime

If you already have a head of hair, I'd highly recommend using clippers set to 0 before taking a razor to it.

When I took the plunge a few years back I discovered the HeadBlade and liked it, but found I had to go back over the trouble spots (around ears, back of neck) with a regular razor.

I have since shelved the HeadBlade, but still use and swear by their HeadSlick Shaving Cream, just using it with a mach III in the shower each morning now.

For cold weather get a warm, knit cap and pick up come moisturizing sun screen for the rest of the time.

5. Turbodreams

Turbodreams

Ive got the typical horseshoe going, started thinning young. Like 21yo. Ive been clipping it short since and have been shaving it to the skin for about 4 years. Im 27 now. Didnt care enough to bother with any of the treatments for it. Its just hair.

I use the same razors (gillete fusion) to shave my face and head. A pack of 4 blades runs about $15 bucks and lasts me 3 maybe 4 months. MUCH cheaper then haircuts/shampoo/other hair products.

6. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

Rock on, I had about the same hair line as you describe, that is until I shaved it!!!
    I started going to the barber getting it cut shorter and shorter, after about 4 trips and $40.00 I bought a $25.00 pair of Whal clippers and did it myself. After a few times I figured WTH and electric shaved it. Most of the time I use a Braun series 3 in the morning but some time I use a blade at night.

7. scottlang

scottlang Millennium Member

Buy a fusion and enjoy the aerodynamic hair style.

8. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I had that problem too. Then I found out that you can buy a different adapter and used Gillette Sensor Excel blades. After I figured that out, I was good to go.

9. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

Thanks for the treplies fellas!

grendelprime, is HeadSlick Shaving Cream available in stores or do I have to order some?

10. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I get mine at Walgreens. They have a list of stores that carry their product on the website. I also agree that headslick is great stuff...

I order other stuff from their website. I use their matte finish lotion also.

11. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Used to zero the sides and two on top.

Now I do it myself and its all zero. Much easier.

Haven't gone to the razor yet, but if that spot gets any larger back there then I will.

:supergrin:

12. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Go slick. I have a full head of hair but I go slick by choice. Cleaner and easier.

[​IMG]

HeadSlick is great. You should be able to find it in any chain grocery store (at least, that is where I get mine), or maybe CVS or Walgreens.

FWIW, I get a bulk pack of razors from Costco - 52 double-blade razors for about twenty some bucks. Works great.

13. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

What is headslick? Shaving cream? Is it a must if I decide to shave my head?

14. brandon2018

brandon2018

go for it

four years ago we found out my dad had lung cancer and that man was always all about his hair so when he started losing his i shaved mine its the littlest things that mean the most to people to the day my dad died my head was shaved my dad passed on labor day of 09 so fitting for a man that loved to work

15. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

Great info guys!

Thanks!!!

When I did it last June, it just 'felt' right, and I missed it ever since. May do it tomorrow...

16. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

Dude, mine went from a small, thin patch about the size of a golf ball to a bare spot the size of a softball in about a year.

Definately time for me.

:supergrin:

17. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, it's a shave cream and it's a must for me. Most of the gels/creams that I've tried on my head are too dry.

18. TapRackBang73

TapRackBang73 Packin Preacher

Yes it is shaving cream. I just you regular ole shaving cream. works fine for me. Heres a suggestion. Get your head good and wet before you put shaving cream on it. Also google shaved head forums. i cant remember the name of it but there is a forum for such as I.

19. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Mines been baseball size for a while.

One of these days after I use the clippers I'm gonna get out the razor.

20. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

THIS^^^^^^^ (all of it except the Shaving Cream...I use the HB in the shower after washing, and then I dry shave everything else when I get out)

I will NEVER allow hair to grow on my head again. I shave every day. HeadBlade, then Mach III to get the hard spots.