close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IM/ Firewall troubles...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by PhiDeltChicoTCU, Aug 22, 2004.

1. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

I'm using a Linksys Wired Router for routing the broadband connection around the house. I am trying to send files through AOL instant messenger. The program displays a message stating that it is trying to connect to my buddy and stalls out and then displays a new message stating that one of us is behind a firewall. I used to have dial-up and never experienced this problem until we switched over to cable. Is there any ways around this?

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

when you need to send the file, you could log into your router and set the IP of your machine as DMZ for the duration of the transfer. if you do this often, I would suggest also installing a software firewall, such as Sygate, to protect yourself while DMZ is active.

3. Halo

Halo Millennium Member

A somewhat safer option is to forward only AIM's port to your computer. I believe it uses TCP port 5190. There should be an area in your router's config screen called Port Forwarding. Give it the port range 5190-5190 and your computer's IP address.

4. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

yes, you would want to setup port forwarding. it would not be wise to expose the machine to the dmz with no protection, nor is it necessary.

5. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

I don't have any actual firewall software though. It seems to be "built-into" the router itself. How would I go about setting it up correctly?

6. gudel

gudel

7. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

Well I ended up calling their Tech Support and was unable to work anything out w/ them. Does anyone else have any ideas?

8. Halo

Halo Millennium Member

That's pretty crappy that their tech support couldn't walk you through something as common as port forwarding. I don't have a Linksys router so this is partly guesswork, but most of them use a similar configuration system.

Open your web browser and log in to the router. If you don't know its address go to Start->Run type cmd and enter. At the prompt type ipconfig and write down the addresses for IP Address and Default Gateway. The Default Gateway is your router's IP address, and you want to put that in your web browser.

Once you login to the router (the default for Linksys is no name for login name, and admin as the password; if it's still using defaults you'll want to change those for added security) look for something pertaining to Port Forwarding. It might be under some sort of "advanced options" tab, but it should be in there somewhere. When you go into that, typically you'll see a list of active services being forwarded, which should be empty in your case. You want to add a new service. For AIM the starting/ending port is 5190, and for the target IP address, put in the one you wrote down. Apply the changes. You should be set.

9. gudel

gudel

Had he read the link i posted, he would've done it himself. ;) i believe linksys outsource their tech to india, i'm willing to bet they don't even have a linksys router.
    i have a linksys router, it's very easy to do, a child who can read can do it.

10. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

that's correct. you have a hardware firewall as part of your router.

11. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

When I run ipconfig/all in DOS; the Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and the DNS Servers all have the same IP... Is this set up correctly?

12. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

you get this while connected to your router?

your dchp server and your gateway would likely be the same, but they should be internal network addresses, typical 192.168.x.x

your dns address(es) should be from a different scheme, because that's from your isp.

you connect to the internet with this setup?

i suggest you call linksys tech support.

13. gudel

gudel

dude, you really need to give more details. the numbers in ipconfig cannot be the same! (they just don't, because you can't) what are the numbers in yours?

get the number indicated by green arrow,
    [​IMG]

put that number in your web browser. since you never said what router you got, well, do a search on port forwarding/port triggering.
    it should look like this
    [​IMG]
    put your AIM port 5190 here, just do both tcp/upd, ip is your computer ip address, which is can be found in the first picture.
    i wonder if you're pulling our chains here.

14. SamBuca

SamBuca

What the heck is all this router crap and DMZ?

My Aim -> Edit Options -> Edit Preferences -> File Transfers

Click 'firewall'.

Choose the middle option.

Enjoy.

If that doesn't work, you can set it up differently but it's a bit more complex. 9/10 it works.

15. chevrofreak

Mine doesnt have that.

16. chevrofreak

errrrrrrrrrrrr woops, for some reason i didnt pay close enough attention, i thought this thread was about MSN messenger ;J

17. gudel

gudel

i believe the guy solved the problem now.