Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the recommendation of people in my family who are in law enforcement and the military, I chose the .40SW over the 9mm for my first gun. I shoot about the same with either.​

So, I bought my first gun, a Glock 23, and started loading up on ammo. I had been concerned about the price of ammo particularly since I need a lot of practice being a new shooter.​

I just made my next ammo purchase. I'm averaging about $14 a box of 50 180gr .40SW, total shipped. When I compare that with what I see locally for 9mm (and even online), I'm only paying $2 more (accounting for tax) than what I would pay for 9mm.​

My first purchase was for 1000 rounds and my latest was for another 2000. I'll have to slow down at the range since in the last month since I got my gun I've already gone through 400 rounds, but I'm not going too crazy I think with how much I'm purchasing and it's still very close in price to 9mm.​

So, if I limit myself to 100 rounds at the range per visit (I'm getting a .22lr gun soon to help me waste some time there having fun so I don't shoot so much of the higher-caliber ammo), I'm only spending $4 more per range visit to be able to shoot the .40SW. I had assumed there was a huge disparity in price between the two calibers, but that's not what I'm seeing so far.​

Of course, 9mm is cheaper, but it doesn't make me want to go out and get a conversion barrel or anything and start shooting 9mm.​

It's still a rather expensive hobby. I still find it funny that all this money is getting shot out at a piece of paper, never to be seen again. And, I'm getting somewhat addicted to it. I'm new to it but finding it a lot of fun. I imagine at some point I'll be making my own ammo with my own reloader. But, until then I'll continue to buy in bulk and space out my range visits to help with the cost.​

Just thought I'd share this with anyone trying to decide between the .40SW and the 9mm. I think the $2 a box is worth it, and if I ever change my mind I can always get a conversion barrel so I'm set either way.​

Just my two cents, as a newbie.​

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Well, I'm glad you like the .40- More ammo for you.:wavey:

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
I've been picking up 9mm for $10 a box online, so my 9s are happy - but I can't get the .40 any cheaper than the $14 you are seeing it at, so they don't get to the range as much. :embarassed:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stand corrected. I checked gun-deals and I see where SGAmmo has non-reloaded, brass FMJ for about $10 shipped.

At a $4 difference a box, that's a decent savings. Although, my latest box for $14 each are Federal HPJ. I'm still going to use them for the range, but still it's nice to fire the same type as my defense rounds.

I'm just going to stick with my .40 for practice and my new .22lr will be for fun. I can't see dropping a conversion barrel in for 9mm and then carrying .40SW. If I'm not going to practice in the caliber I'm carrying, then I might as well shoot the .22lr instead since it's definitely cheapest.

In the long-run, maybe I'll change my mind and end up going to the 9mm, especially if the .40SW rounds get too crazy in price. But, I can tolerate $8 additional per range visit if it means I use and carry a stronger round.

And, I know the caliber debate is a huge debate. But, my family in law enforcement and my family in the military all lean towards the .40, so I follow their lead.

I've been picking up 9mm for $10 a box online, so my 9s are happy - but I can't get the .40 any cheaper than the $14 you are seeing it at, so they don't get to the range as much. :embarassed:

·
Registered
31,725 Posts
Get a .45. It's 0.05 bigger still.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a .45. It's 0.05 bigger still.
My father who spent 20 years in the Army goes more towards a .45 1911. And my family in law enforcement use .40SW, I suppose because it's what's issued. Nothing wrong with a .45 though. But after shooting a .45 Berreta, I decided .40 was enough for me ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Seeing as I’m considering a 40 or a 45, and recently rented and shot both, and liked both, I now find myself with a lot of questions to be answered. How to ask them without starting a flaming 40 vs 45 thread is one thing I haven’t figured out yet. But the one quick and dirty thing I could do was go online, and price 40 and 45 ammo. I priced good range ammo, the same brands I use in my G17. I priced 5 brands, 180 grain FMJ in 40 and 230 grain FMJ in 45, and averaged them out.

.40 = $0.41/round

.45 = $0.50/round

I did not factor shipping into the costs, but past experience seems to add about 5 cents per round to the cost of the ammo. I seem to average around $0.31/round for 9mm with shipping included. I’ve never seen the prices you are talking about tho.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I priced good range ammo, the same brands I use in my G17. I priced 5 brands, 180 grain FMJ in 40 and 230 grain FMJ in 45, and averaged them out.

.40 = $0.41/round

.45 = $0.50/round
Wow, dude - you're shopping at some expensive places. My purchases for the same types of ammo average (with shipping included):

.40 = $0.28/round
.45 = $0.33/round

This is for quality American-made FMJ ammo. I suggest you check out SGAmmo.com and Palmetto State Armory.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
I do it too, WWB .40 at a local Meijer store, $11.99 box of 50 FMJ, with a 10% discount (My wife works at one) I get it at $11.55 a box, best I can do around here.

I shoot at least 2 boxes a month, so it go's about six months before re supply.

·
Banned
3,008 Posts
Ammunitiontogo has the Federal HST, a very good Defense round and maybe the best...

.40 for 24.95 box of 50

9mm for 29.95 box of 50

·
Registered
892 Posts
You guys are talking good prices for 9mm with shipping from my experience. I can’t imagine .40 or 45 for those prices from what I’ve seen. In fact, it’s a challenge to find 9mm for $0.28/round with shipping included. Ammo to Go, SGAmmo, and Midway USA are my default places to order ammo. I’ve used others, tho I don’t think I’ve used Palmetto State Armory. I look around for the cheapest I can find when I order, and I have ordered from other places. I tend to not buy more than 4 or 5 boxes at a time of 9mm, but I recently ended that practice with a brick of Winchester Ranger NATO at $0.23/round before shipping, which I thought was outstanding. I think that came out to $11.50/box.

Ok, I just looked at Palmetto State Armory, and I did not have them bookmarked, and their prices are excellent. They have stuff I haven’t been able to find anywhere else. Their .22 prices are the norm tho, and center fire riffle ammo seems about what I’m used to seeing, but their center fire handgun prices are excellent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that's an awesome price. I just placed my first online order with them recently for a gun safe. I got a knife, the safe, and they threw in an air mattress all for less than others charge for just the safe. That's a cool place with all the specials. I wish they sold ammo online. There's not one here.

My cheapest price per box of 180gr Federal Champion .40 box of 50 shipped was $13.70 but that's in bulk. The price I paid before was about $13.98 shipped. I know I can buy it at wal-mart for $14.95 but after tax I still save a few bucks ordering online in bulk. Of course, now I have 42 boxes left because I bought so much in bulk. I figure it'll last me through the year (I think).

I do it too, WWB .40 at a local Meijer store, $11.99 box of 50 FMJ, with a 10% discount (My wife works at one) I get it at $11.55 a box, best I can do around here.

I shoot at least 2 boxes a month, so it go's about six months before re supply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts