I'm Done with CA

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by reinerbs, Feb 15, 2010.

1. reinerbs

reinerbs

I'm in the Military so my address has never been consistent, but ever since i started buying guns, i've found the process here in CA is ridiculous for anyone who doesn't have a consistent address. i have dozens of proof of where i live, but they don't count? it doesn't make sense to me why if i have all sorts of proof of identification, Military ID, CA Drivers License, Social Security Card, Passport, Government Passport, Line Badge, a clearance to let me get into the armory on base and other secure facilities. Why CA do you make it so difficult. Sorry, i just had to vent. once my tour of duty is done in germany and when i come back, i'm not moving back to CA. don't care where, as long as its not here.

2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Just curious, what exactly was the problem? Just the buying process, DROS or background or a combination?

I only ask because I just bought a used Sig P226 the other day and it was pretty smooth.

Thanks.

3. reinerbs

reinerbs

proof of address...not background or anything, just that, proof of address

4. reinerbs

reinerbs

also it's very smooth if you have a constant address, i am in the military and i change addresses a lot...so yeah

5. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Where you thinking of moving to? I heard Idaho is good and I know West Virginia is.

6. Puppy

Puppy

I've a lot of family in CA & it really is beautiful country, I love visiting but the far left just has way to much power & influence for me to ever want to move to there.

7. reinerbs

reinerbs

i know my wife likes Colorado, so i'm thinking there, and i have friends scattered across the east coast, it doesn't matter though. if i'm considering a lifestyle that's centered around firearms and stuff like that, CA is not the place to be.

8. hatidua

hatidua

I wouldn't call anything about buying guns in CA smooth, even for a resident:

* is the gun on the arbitrary "approved list"?
    * pay your money and then wait a few weeks to take delivery
    * all manner of features deemed "illegal"
    * counties and municipalities where hollow points aren't allowed, as well as other bad things...

What is scary is that over on calguns (and apparently even here), all of this is now accepted as being just fine and "smooth".

small steps, small steps.

9. reinerbs

reinerbs

agreed, thats why i'm done with it here in CA.

10. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Question for the OP- Obviously you are having trouble proving residency. But dont you think its going to be the same anywhere you go? I am pretty sure you have to give a current and valid address to purchase firearms in every state?

News to me. Please tell me what counties and municipalities dont allow JHP?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  11. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Yes more than half the firearms I own and/or their respective magazines would land me some pretty hefty jail time in CA... You won't find me living there. Very pretty countryside though, and good beach scenery if you get my drift.

12. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Moving out of California was the best decision I have ever made. Even though Washington State is not without its own problems it is still WAY better than California. I can buy any gun (except NFA) and walk out the door with it in less than 10 minutes, it is awesome.

13. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Move to Utah. Half the state CCWs and you can open carry here.

14. Smashy

Smashy

I grew up in CA. There are lots of things to love about the place, especially the landscape. I miss the gold country and I plan to do some motorcycle touring there when the kids are older and I can make some time for myself. But I would never move back there again unless the politics reversed direction and it actually started resembling a free state.

Ask me if I'm holding my breath.

15. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

I think his military ID and a copy of his orders assigning him to his current base would about cover it here in SC.

16. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

That about covers it for me as well. I miss some things about California, but there is nothing there I miss so much as to be worth the price of moving back.

17. Max5

Max5

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the problem is the FFLs you are dealing with are erring on the side of caution. Lots (probably most) of CA FFL holders will deny a sale rather than risk problems with the DOJ over misinterpreting the miriad of rules and regs. Perhaps it's time to find another FFL, a flag waver, a veteran and one proud of our troops who knows the ins & outs of the law and requirements.

18. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

same in Texas

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It wasn't just California wanting proof of address.

When I was stationed in Kentucky and North Carolina, some shops insisted that I show them a copy of my PCS order.

20. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

No problem in MO. Military can buy all the guns they want. Put your money down and walk out the door in 10 minutes. Want a CCW? No problem there either. Doesn't matter if you live on or off post. You will be treated as a resident of the state. Want to do your gun shopping on post? No problem there either. The Fort Leonard Wood Outdoor Rec Center will sell you just about any gun you want tax free and you can even take your CCW class right on post. How's that for service? We make it easy for you to exercise your 2d Amendment Rights in a free state. Corrected - thanks fnfalman.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010