Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb thread. I'm just anxious, or venting.

With this Chinese Flu crisis, or I should say during it, my boss's position opened up (he's suddenly retiring). I didn't ask for it, I don't really want it. But I've been asked to take the position.

I understand I should be grateful to have a job in these rough times for so many people. I truly do, and I am thankful.

I just don't know if I can handle it, don't know if I want it, don't know if I want to do all the extra work involved. Yes, they will pay me more.

I didn't feel as though I could say no. I can't back away from the need they have. It would insult them, leave them in a bind, and make them not value me as much, not treat me the same.

Things were comfy. Things were pretty well set. I did my job, did it well, supported my boss, had no extra burdens because he shouldered them well.

I'm not interested in career climbing. I don't really need the money (sure we can all use more money). I'm not rich, but I just don't spend much. My wife is thrifty, and we've always stayed low budget in the way we do things. I think time is more valuable for me than a new position.

I probably don't want to say no and make them find somebody else. I don't have a particular person in mind, but I just probably won't like anyone newer in charge potentially changing things. Or maybe they could be good, I don't know.

I guess I just don't like change. With the old boss retiring, changes are gonna be happening one way or another. Because he isn't there, so that in itself is change.

The request to me is sudden. I figured they were just gonna go out and find someone. Like I said, I wasn't even applying, not asking for it, not hinting for it, nothing. But with the Chinese Flu crisis, they are not going external, they are not searching. I'm not saying they should search, but I just assumed they would.

Sorry that I'm not even telling you what the job is. I'm just whinning like a baby about it. I will have people reporting to me, whereas before I was just more of a senior mentor to them. I, on the other hand, will have to report directly to the top, and attend meetings at the top. Whereas previously I was happy to have my boss go to all those meetings, and make all those decisions about people who reported to him. I would advise him and help him, but not actually have to do that stuff. Now I will.

·
bene vivere
2,147 Posts
Congratulations!:waving:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Who likes change really?

You said it yourself. You’re comfortable.

You’ll never grow when you’re comfortable. You don’t want the money, that’s fine. This might help you grow or improve as a person, husband, father, friend, etc, and might help those you will now be leading.

They wouldn’t offer it to you if they didn’t see the potential in you already.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Do your best. Simple as that really.

It's what got you to where you're at.

If, after your best effort, you find it's not for you, so be it and cross that bridge if necessary.

That's very different from declining up front.

So...Congratulations.

·
Registered
14,351 Posts

With this Chinese Flu crisis, or I should say during it, my boss's position opened up (he's suddenly retiring). I didn't ask for it, I don't really want it. But I've been asked to take the position.

I understand I should be grateful to have a job in these rough times for so many people. I truly do, and I am thankful.

I just don't know if I can handle it, don't know if I want it, don't know if I want to do all the extra work involved. Yes, they will pay me more.

I didn't feel as though I could say no. I can't back away from the need they have. It would insult them, leave them in a bind, and make them not value me as much, not treat me the same.

Things were comfy. Things were pretty well set. I did my job, did it well, supported my boss, had no extra burdens because he shouldered them well.

I'm not interested in career climbing. I don't really need the money (sure we can all use more money). I'm not rich, but I just don't spend much. My wife is thrifty, and we've always stayed low budget in the way we do things. I think time is more valuable for me than a new position.

I probably don't want to say no and make them find somebody else. I don't have a particular person in mind, but I just probably won't like anyone newer in charge potentially changing things. Or maybe they could be good, I don't know.

I guess I just don't like change. With the old boss retiring, changes are gonna be happening one way or another. Because he isn't there, so that in itself is change.

The request to me is sudden. I figured they were just gonna go out and find someone. Like I said, I wasn't even applying, not asking for it, not hinting for it, nothing. But with the Chinese Flu crisis, they are not going external, they are not searching. I'm not saying they should search, but I just assumed they would.

Sorry that I'm not even telling you what the job is. I'm just whinning like a baby about it. I will have people reporting to me, whereas before I was just more of a senior mentor to them. I, on the other hand, will have to report directly to the top, and attend meetings at the top. Whereas previously I was happy to have my boss go to all those meetings, and make all those decisions about people who reported to him. I would advise him and help him, but not actually have to do that stuff. Now I will.
I’ll tell you a little secret.

No one knows “that job” or can do that job, better than you. You more an anyone else in the organization is the “expert”. You..... not them, and they know that which is why they are choosing you.
As you are already providing guidance to others it is only a little steps to having direct reporting staff. Worry not.

They will be paying you more for your expertise and experience, not to work “longer and harder”. You might as well earn maximum dollars for each hour you work.
Finally, the company needs you to step up. If you turn them down now, it could create some cloud and confusion over your long term commitment to them. Most companies want people who are capable of moving up.
Sounds like a big win for you.
This will ultimately be a piece of cake and you will look back and laugh at how easy the transition occurred.
Some self doubt is normal. Don’t let it get in your way.

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
Sounds like you were hand picked for the new job. That says something about you! Either you're really good, or they want a patsy that they can control. I'd like to think it's the first. But before I retired I applied for a Lieutenant position while a Sergeant. I got the job and during my briefing with human resources they told me that I was now an exempt employee. I had no idea what that meant. They told me I was now salaried and not hourly since the new job was considered management and the Sgt was a supervisor. What they DIDN'T tell me was I'd be spending a whole lot more time on the job without the extra pay. I stuck it out for a year and made $5200 less than my previous pay since now I got no overtime. I took a voluntary demotion to the next Sgt position available.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Put some real thought into this.

I can't tell you how many people I know that have been promoted and regret it.

I'm an engineer, used to be anyhow. So this is specific to that job.

There are only so many rewards for doing a good job, and the easiest one is to give someone a new job that is not the one they are good at.

Their problem of staffing is not yours. You are an easy solution to their problem but just consider what you want personally. People get paid more in jobs because they get more stress. Some people thrive on it, others do not.

The most important thing you can understand is what you want, and what you do not want. It is not an easy or obvious thing, but is worth some reflection.

Take your time responding to this request. There is not much going back.

·
Registered
27,089 Posts
If your heart isn't in to it, don't take the position. Your subordinates will notice.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts

Congratulations.

I was actually in the same spot you are now about a month or so ago. Went from a shift lead to a department lead. I took the job and it’s going good, but definitely a big change. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
Put some real thought into this.

I can't tell you how many people I know that have been promoted and regret it.

I'm an engineer, used to be anyhow. So this is specific to that job.

There are only so many rewards for doing a good job, and the easiest one is to give someone a new job that is not the one they are good at.

Their problem of staffing is not yours. You are an easy solution to their problem but just consider what you want personally. People get paid more in jobs because they get more stress. Some people thrive on it, others do not.

The most important thing you can understand is what you want, and what you do not want. It is not an easy or obvious thing, but is worth some reflection.

Take your time responding to this request. There is not much going back.
I would agree with most of this except I would think there is a possibility of going back. Hire someone to replace you that you feel is capable and willing to replace your boss. Train them and then if you still want your old position swap back and make the new guy boss.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
You sound exactly like me, 30 years ago. I was offered a top job in my dept. I was already temporarily in the job due to the Gulf War. I felt like I was not really qualified, and I was uncomfortable with the light shining on me. I was put in a place that was surrounded with political appointees and I hated politics, never used it to get anywhere. The legislature even created a new rank just for the position. I turned the position down and went back to my old station. I recommended someone else and he took the position, but they would not give him the rank. Several years later I began to realize that the people who took that position were not doing things I would have done.
I realized I was probably the right person at the time who could have done a lot to improve conditions for everyone in that dept. I lived to regret not rising to the occasion. Many people were disappointed that I did not accept the offer.
Don't sell yourself short. People must have faith in you to offer the promotion. Think it over carefully before you decide.

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
In my 24 year commercial career I had nine different jobs; most of them with more responsibility and pay than the last.

It was a fun ride; I would not have done anything different if I had to do it all over again. I always appreciated the fact that people thought I could do the next job.

Congratulations.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts