I'm an Iron Sights rifle shooter.

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by MSW, Sep 3, 2015.

1. MSW

MSW

I've never been much on optics, maybe because I've never really had a good scope.

I was trained to shoot iron sights in the Army out to about 300 meters. Mostly M16, some M14 and M1.

Well I'm older and I can't see 300 yards much less 100 yards.

I've got a couple AR15's and I'm thinking of building an AR with the idea of putting some type of optics on it.

I'd like a red dot or a EOtech Holographic or something similar.

Longest distance shooting would be 100 yards with factory ammo.

Would like something with long battery life and something easy to use with bifocals.

While I'd like to think I'd grab this rifle to defend the house, odds are I'd just use the shotgun.

Also, I'm going to buy a completed AR 15 upper and I'm thinking of one w/o front sight post. I'd like some suggestions on this also.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

2. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

aimpoints have better battery life. EOtechs are easier to use IMO. Either will work just fine with a standard FSB or flip ups.

I have both, I prefer EoTechs, my aim point is just sitting in the safe.

3. KA5IVR

KA5IVR

I found myself in the same boat after the age of 50. I have two AR's... one with a Vortex Strikefire II red dot and the other with a 1x4 scope for longer shots. I think if I had to only get one, I would go with the 1x4 scope.

4. MSW

MSW

Thanks Snaps but could you give me a few more details.

I'm just not that familiar with these optics.

KA - please tell me about the red dot.

Also, any comments on flat top AR w/o front sight post?

5. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Aimpoint is a little red dot inside a tube. Had one on my first trip and they work great, seems like they're impossible to break. But to me the tube is like looking through a scope, it's a lot harder to do with two eyes. Brightness controls are on the back with a dial.

EOTech is a sort of head up display kind of thing. Circle with some lines, sort of a TV screen shaped. Built for both eyes open kind of thing. Controls are buttons, either on the side or back, not as fast but works great.

If you need to you can buy a flip of magnifier that mounts behind the sight and gives you 3 or 4X magnification.

If you're just using a red dot kind of thing the front sight post doesn't really make a lot of difference. The no front sight base ones the sight just folds down so you can see under the dot where as with the FSB it's pretty much just sitting there looking like it's perched ontop of the post.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  6. MSW

MSW

Thanks, I'm going to digest what you wrote. I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

7. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

Good post. Sort of.,,,,

Both optics are wonderful in their own unique way. If you learn a "both eyes open" approach then you can't go wrong in a CQB situation. The EoTech is better at more than 100+ yards if you close your non-dominant eye like it is a scoped optic.

I own both EoTech and Aimpoint. On my job I might have to snatch my carbine or M1A in a heartbeat. That is why I went with the Comp4MLs and the Micro T-1 ~~~ my EoTechs would have to get powered ON and then adjusted for brightness every time I grabbed the gun. That takes several seconds under stress and distracts my attention HUGE..

Two years ago I turned on my Aimpoints, and they are both GTG for another 3~5 years of being ALWAYS ON 24/7.

I like more the EoTech screen and circle-dot, but I like the Aimpoint "set and forget for years" feature a little bit more.

8. MAGICMANIA

MAGICMANIA

i would check out the Trjicon MRO