I'm Allergic to Horses, Horsehide Holster????

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PA1911, Feb 23, 2010.

1. PA1911

PA1911

Hello everyone,

It may sound funny to some but I am very, very allergic to horses. I am considering a horsehide holster for its moisture resistence. This might be a long shot but is anyone else here allergic to horses and have experience with horsehide holsters??

I am thinking it may not be an issue, as the dander and such are what probably trigger my reactions. I just wanted to do some checking around before diving into the horsehide holster pool.

Thanks for the help.

PA1911

2. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Shouldn't be a problem, the dander is contained within the skin and hair fuff (yes, that's a scientific word :supergrin: )

If it's leather, especially split leather, it shouldn't b an issue, as they remove the hair and a layer of skin below it (IIRC).

*edited to add: one way to test it would be to rub the holster on the inside of your upper arm or under your chin and see what happens. Downside is you may wind up on the sidewalk on your ass outside the gun store for weird behavior.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010

3. PA1911

PA1911

Thanks,

I know this is not a common allergy, but I thought I'd ask. I still dont know if im going to risk it. Might just go with the regular leather. I'll have to talk with my doctor. I will be ordering this holster, I dont have anyone nearby with a horsehide holster to see if I have a reaction to it.

Still looking for other people with this issue.

Thanks