I'm a victim...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Well, I seem to be a victim of identity theft. I received an email verifying a password change for Bank of America which I “never established“ to begin with. In order to change the password they had to establish one. That would require them to have my wife’s, mine or both SS numbers so I suppose I’ll have to notify the SS Admin. As to why notify them, I’m not quite sure, it just sound right and I’m trying to cover all the bases. I called B of A “within two hours of the “change notification” and they put holds on my VISA and AE accounts. Citibank will be calling shortly.
    I also called Trans Union who placed “fraud alerts” with the other two credit bureaus.
    I still need to contact my credit union and place holds there as well.
    When they established a password to my change account, they had to leave “their” email address which I have and which happens to be a @msn.com. How easy would that be for the cops to find?
    I’m ready to talk to the cops today and I was wondering if anyone had any other advice that they may pass on. I’m new at this and probably forgot something.
    While I’m asking for help, I sincerely hope any help I get is not from a personal experience.
    Thanks!

2. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Sounds more like phishing ('fishing') than identity theft. They indiscriminately send out a bulk E-mail hoping to find a few BoA clients who are foolish enough to follow the link they supply (to their BoA look-alike site) and enter their logon credentials. My guess is that the E-mail you received is an attempt to steal your identity, not evidence that it already has happened.

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

TS is right. I've been receiving a boatload of these BoA phishing e-mails lately. If you actually entered any data in their fake webpage, you'll want to follow this through to the end, because they probably have some information about you now.

Otherwise, your best bet is to ignore them. (And check your account statements and credit reports regularly).

Joey

4. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Bank of America confirmed a password request was made. They said a social security # was required to make this change. They also had my Visa # and the three digit number on the back of the card.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Sounds like you were probably a victim then, that sucks. You might want to look into some ID theft insurance. I'm pretty sure most will help you retroactively (ie, theft occurred before you bought the policy). These guys make a mess of your financial peace of mind, and should be strung up and shot.

Its a LONG ride. Not been there personally, but have a friend who has.

IGF

6. Glockster35

Glockster35 Silvrst8hlstr

As others have said, follow it to the end. I have a friend who had a similar thing happen a few years back. He caught it initially, the banks froze everything, re-issued credit cards etc. He probably didn't go far enough though, because about one year later, he got a letter from Chrysler saying he owed them back payments for a vehicle that was purchased in his name 6-8 months earlier.

Of course he didn't end up having to pay for anything, but someone actually was driving around in a car, licensed and sold to HIM based on his SSN, but the paperwork and picture ID at the dealership was definately not HIM!

7. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I recently had some dealings with BoA and I was told by BoA that they will NEVER e-mail a customer and ask for account information; also they will not reply to e-mail requesting account information except to say you need to call customer service.

Personally I never respond to e-mail requests that ask for any personal information. If you think that it maybe a legitimate request, call them and don’t use any telephone number supplied in the e-mail ... look it up yourself.

8. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Thanks all. There's a fraud alert filed with the 3 credit bureaus and all cc companies have been notified. The cc companies ran all my charges and I was able to verify them all. Bank of America has insurance, $12,99 a month, and they will watch the credit bureaus for you daily.
    I made copies of the 2 emails sent to me and turned them in with the police report.
    The emails were NOT eliciting a response, they were verification that changes were made. I immediately called the customer service number that was listed on the back of my credit card.