Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know what has more stove pipes than New York in the late 1800's? My Kel Tec P3AT!
Know what is about as reliable than a Washington politician? My Kel Tec P3AT!
The only good thing about it, is that when it works, it as as accurate as a Democrat seeking your wallet.......but that is not enough to have me stake my life on it.

I will stick to my 5 shot J frame for a pocket pistol

·
Registered
GLOCK® 19X
4,150 Posts
Sounds like your Kel-Tec is "Great" for practicing Failures...
I will admit to "Once" having a Grendel P-10 the great grandfather to your Kel-Tec, Ruger LCPs etc.
For the price of what people want for .380/9mm Kurtz ammo nowdays you can buy 44 Magnum..
Guess what's in my Pocket??
S&W J Frame Airweight Model 642/942..
It's always been 100%

Smith & Wesson Models 940 & 642/942 Convertion 9mm

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Sorry about your Keltec failing, mine has been flawless. That being said, there is no comparison between a Smith J-frame and a Keltec anything, IMHO!

·
woo woo
31,398 Posts
I think it's just a matter of understanding what the KT is really meant for...a low use carry gun.
The problem is, I want my carry gun to be durable and handle lots of practice, which should be a requirement for anyone relying on such guns. I never felt like the KT P3AT I had would last very long.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I should have known better. In the days of old when I started out as a rookie, a j frame Smith rode with me both off and on duty. That model 60 is in a place of honor in my safe. My 340Sc now rides in my pocket, no matter how I am dressed. It has proven to be accurate and reliable, and super light.

If I went with another pocket sized.380 it would likely be a Kahr or the new Smith. It would never replace my J frame, but if it worked well may find use as a poolside companion during the reunion season.

·
NRA Life Member
246 Posts
That is what is in my pocket.....:cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
642 owner here. Snappy recoil but I added CTC's#405 Lasergrips. In addition to the laser sight this unit adds an "air pocket" at the top of the backstrap that helps reduce felt recoil up to 30%.

·
NRA Life Member
69,851 Posts
Took my LCP and my wife's P3AT to the range a week ago - her P3AT is still 100% after years of beating around in her pocket and never being cleaned.

I've had 1 LCP and 2 Kel Tecs. I like the LCP better, but both Kel tecs were 100% with any ammunition.

·
you savvy?
23,473 Posts
the G42 is a POS for many folks too.

I contact Glock and asked about all the "upgrades" from their non-recall.... I have a first run gun.... they said I could send it in for evaluation. of course I have to pay the freight. so basically I bought a kel-tec with Glock's name on it.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
31,246 Posts
My P3AT has had no issues at all although it hasn't really been shot that much.

Even so, if I was in a fight I would rather have my Ruger KLCR in my hand.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
I have a couple of 642's that I suspect are destined to stay in the collection forever. Revolvers have a special appeal for me. Not collectors, but carry pieces. My favorite though, is .357 Magnum.

Reactions: fastbolt

·
Registered
45,882 Posts
I've shot a Diamondback, S&W Bodyguard, LCP and owned a Sig 238 and Taurus 738. All, at the very least, needed to be very clean and a little wet. Most were finicky about ammo. I decided I'm not a .380 guy. I pocket carry a S&W 638 when the need for something that small arises.

·
****** Viejo
30,783 Posts
My 642 is my favorite CCW gun. I do carry pocket autos most of the time but still belt carry and pocket carry a J-frame. tom.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,583 Posts
I gave up on the P3AT years ago! It was not very reliable, and between stovepipes, my finger hitting the mag release, and broken hammer springs, I got rid of it.

Mind you, the P32 worked well. Their design just won't support .380 ammo.

·
you savvy?
23,473 Posts
I do not like pocket carry, it is not comfortable for me. that said my 642 has seen almost as much time in my pocket as my LWS.

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
Hard to beat a good J-frame, especially an Airweight.

I realize this is a thread resurrected from 6 years ago, but this sub forum doesn't get an over abundance of traffic. ;)

As much as I prefer my several J's for their revolver triggers and added bit of bullet weight (over a .380), I often slip one of my LCP's into a pocket holster. They fit where my J's won't, and once I'd invested some range time to drills and some qual COF's, I found them about as easy to run as my J's, with less punishment on my index finder's knuckle (rising trigger guard in light J's with +P and Magnum loads).

Reactions: deputy tom

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
I can't say enough good about my 442. I had snubs off and on for years but there's a reason they sell so many of these. Wish I had gotten one 20 years ago.

·
M62/76
13,369 Posts
Sorry about the Kel-Tec experience! I have one of their P32s and mine runs well (on the occasion that I shoot it- kinda like pissing into the wind) but I carry my 442 Airweight almost religiously.

Reactions: Gray_Rider
1 - 20 of 40 Posts