If your blood pressure is 299/199......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Batesmotel, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

It was about 30 years ago - and I had been right on the edge of needing meds for a while -

I have a family history of it so was aware to be on the lookout - my wife is the opposite - she always has low BP -

sixgun2 likes this.
  2. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

+1 on the Omron.

Mine was maybe 40-50 bucks. Took it to the doctor's office with me to compare with what the doctor was reading. Dead nuts on.

buddyd157 and sixgun2 like this.

3. ejs54

ejs54 Member

I'm glad you are still around to post this.

Batesmotel likes this.
  4. Cirdan

Cirdan

I had a good machine that measured at the upper arm (level with heart) and a cheap one that measured at the wrist. Substantial difference. I never use the wrist one.

I'm also told the measurement is usually higher if a Doctor takes it, vs. a Nurse. Anxiety.

5. ejs54

ejs54 Member

My dentist uses the wrist thingy and it's all over the place. My BP is usually higher at the office too where they start to worry about my high BP. Sitting on the sofa posting on GT I'm seriously textbook 120/80 if not lower.

--however--

Since I have a tendency to spike they do want me to start some low dose med which I'll entertain.

I've witnessed strokes at work and they aren't anything to fool around with. Honestly I'd rather have a heart attack.

6. bdcochran

bdcochran

Two things:
    1. the choice of machine counts. I have Kaiser. A couple of years ago, they contracted with a company (I don't know which) for blood pressure machines. It took a special mechanic to recalibrate the machine. One day, I have my blood pressure taken. It is too high. (I know this because I have donated over 60 pints of blood). I have them take me to an identical machine. Blood pressure is normal. Kaiser has since removed that machine brand.
    2. Ask a nurse to measure your blood pressure in both arms. A difference of 10% may indicate a blockage.

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Called the White Coat or Lab Coat effect.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157

another thing, and i am not sure anyone even mentioned this yet, is when to take your BP reading.

you do not want to take it after exercise, or drinking caffeinated, beverages, or when you have climbed a flight of stairs.

you want to be sitting down, legs not crossed and feet flat on the floor.

you want to have been sitting down for about 3 to 5 minutes.

then you slip on the cuff, and let the BP monitor do it's job.

on average, i take my BP at about 6 PM nightly.

but in any event, as my doctor told me, you DO want to try and take your BP at or very close to the same time each day, 7 days a week.

do not ever trust those generic BP machines that are in any walgreens or CVS stores, or any other pharmacy.

i was told at the CVS that thier machine was checked MONTHLY.

and when you have dozens of people using it, no way in hell is it going to be accurate. i myself, had to sit at the machine and re-do my BP sometimes 4 TIMES to get a reading.

9. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

10. Cirdan

Cirdan

11. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

yeah, sure does. once mine went 60/30 and I was unconscious most of the time. I was on my way to fading away