GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
Good move going to the Dr’s. You may not have been here to post your comment otherwise. Smart move.
It was about 30 years ago - and I had been right on the edge of needing meds for a while -

I have a family history of it so was aware to be on the lookout - my wife is the opposite - she always has low BP -

Reactions: sixgun2

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
+1 on the Omron.

Mine was maybe 40-50 bucks. Took it to the doctor's office with me to compare with what the doctor was reading. Dead nuts on.

·
263 Posts
I had 240/140 once - we had a put it on your finger tester at work - I figured it was off - so I didn’t worry - later that day I was in Walgreens and used the BP machine they have and got 240 / 140 again.

Been on meds ever since.
I'm glad you are still around to post this.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I had a good machine that measured at the upper arm (level with heart) and a cheap one that measured at the wrist. Substantial difference. I never use the wrist one.

I'm also told the measurement is usually higher if a Doctor takes it, vs. a Nurse. Anxiety.

·
263 Posts
I had a good machine that measured at the upper arm (level with heart) and a cheap one that measured at the wrist. Substantial difference. I never use the wrist one.

I'm also told the measurement is usually higher if a Doctor takes it, vs. a Nurse. Anxiety.
My dentist uses the wrist thingy and it's all over the place. My BP is usually higher at the office too where they start to worry about my high BP. Sitting on the sofa posting on GT I'm seriously textbook 120/80 if not lower.

--however--

Since I have a tendency to spike they do want me to start some low dose med which I'll entertain.

I've witnessed strokes at work and they aren't anything to fool around with. Honestly I'd rather have a heart attack.

·
Registered
11,596 Posts
Two things:
1. the choice of machine counts. I have Kaiser. A couple of years ago, they contracted with a company (I don't know which) for blood pressure machines. It took a special mechanic to recalibrate the machine. One day, I have my blood pressure taken. It is too high. (I know this because I have donated over 60 pints of blood). I have them take me to an identical machine. Blood pressure is normal. Kaiser has since removed that machine brand.
2. Ask a nurse to measure your blood pressure in both arms. A difference of 10% may indicate a blockage.

·
Registered
536 Posts
another thing, and i am not sure anyone even mentioned this yet, is when to take your BP reading.

you do not want to take it after exercise, or drinking caffeinated, beverages, or when you have climbed a flight of stairs.

you want to be sitting down, legs not crossed and feet flat on the floor.

you want to have been sitting down for about 3 to 5 minutes.

then you slip on the cuff, and let the BP monitor do it's job.

on average, i take my BP at about 6 PM nightly.

but in any event, as my doctor told me, you DO want to try and take your BP at or very close to the same time each day, 7 days a week.

do not ever trust those generic BP machines that are in any walgreens or CVS stores, or any other pharmacy.

i was told at the CVS that thier machine was checked MONTHLY.

and when you have dozens of people using it, no way in hell is it going to be accurate. i myself, had to sit at the machine and re-do my BP sometimes 4 TIMES to get a reading.

·
Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner
14,351 Posts
I've had nurses at the doctor's office retake mine because they couldn't believe it could be so low and I was still upright. Low PB does have some drawbacks however.
yeah, sure does. once mine went 60/30 and I was unconscious most of the time. I was on my way to fading away

21 - 31 of 31 Posts