If you were starting over today....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rainman33, Jan 26, 2020.

1. rainman33

rainman33

So, a post I made today made me think about how I would build my collection if I was starting over today. What would I buy and in what order would I buy them?

1st: Ruger MK IV
    I love shooting this thing. Fun and inexpensive. Let’s you train for dollars.

2nd: S&W M&P22
    Same reason as above, but with a rifle.

3rd: AR15
    BCM with a 20” barrel. Just like my first AR. The do everything and fun as all get out rifle.

4th: Mossberg 590
    Everyone needs a shotgun.

5th: Dan Wesson Discretion
    I’m currently saving for this. I love 1911s, and I could only have 1, this would be it. If I could only have one handgun, thisWould be it.

6th: Finally, a bolt gun.
    Ruger American. I’m trying to decide between 270 or 6.5. I don’t own this one...yet.

7th: Ruger 57
    Lucky number seven. I just think it’s cool.

I actually think I’d be pretty content with 7 guns. We all know there’s always something else though. I would like a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC.

How would you do it, or redo it?

Kennydale, catman71, -JCN- and 2 others like this.
  2. NMG26

NMG26

I'd get a safe. Lost a LCR22 to theft..........it ain't much but I still feel the loss.
    Guess I'll get another one soon.

rainman33, 10or45, Paul53 and 2 others like this.

3. jmohme

jmohme

I would also start with a Ruger, but I would go with any of the earlier series.
    Yes, I know the IV is easier, but I never found the earlier ones to be much of a challenge either, and I still have doubts about the hinged upper and would like to see if they loosen up and get sloppy with age and use. Especially the 22/45s.

Second would be my TC Contenders. One of my overall favorites.

Third, would be a nice revolver or three. Not sure what brand or model. there are far too many nice ones to choose from.

Recently got into CZs, so that would be #4

And I can't forget my G20 for personal protection.

M1 Garand next

And finally a couple of bolt guns. Caliber is a matter for debate.

4. Schrag4

Schrag4

95% of my shooting is 9mm, a lot of it during IDPA, with my carry gun, so I would definitely start with a compact 9mm for carry and IDPA.

I guess I would build a budget AR, next. Maybe in 5.56, maybe in 9mm. I shoot my 9mm AR way way more than any of my 5.56 ARs, they’re cheaper, more fun to shoot, and can be used at 10 yards on steel targets, and at indoor ranges limited to handgun calibers.

Next would be another AR in the other caliber, whichever that would end up being.

I’d probably be too busy shooting to pick up much more, but I suppose a 22LR pistol belongs in there, for young or new shooters.

Cambo and -JCN- like this.
  5. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Pistols: S&W M&P series, much more ergonomic than Glock. Everything from .22 compact to .45 Pro series. Walther line is good in this regard also.

Shotguns. Browning, mostly, and older Remingtons when Remington made them.

Rifles. Mixed bag. JM Marlin in lever guns, pre 70 Winchester bolt guns and gotta have an AR.

Pre lock Smith's for revolvers.

GlockPride likes this.
  6. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

I would eighty-six the five-seven. Go withe a more conventional choice .357 Mag.

7. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I’d go back and buy a nice Mauser, Nagant, Chinese SKS, and a 03 Springfield. Back when they cheap and available. And I would then KEEP them.

They were so affordable and available I didn’t ever them or the ammo drying up. That’s my biggest regret firearms wise.

Road Dog and billorights like this.
  8. John_AZ

John_AZ

Starting as a new gun owner right now?

Glock 19

J Frame

the rest is just based on what you like to shoot

6Actual, 2740dmx, jimcorbin and 4 others like this.
  9. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Since I would still be a shooter vs a collector, I would spend money on needs vs wishes.

No muzzleloaders, no rifles, no shotguns, no .22’s. Whatever I would compete with, would also be carried. Probably (3) Glock 26’s (3) Glock 17’s and a customized Ruger Alaskan.

Hmmm looks familiar.

10. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I would change a few things from what I have now.

1 - Small 9mm for carry. I currently have a Glock 43 in this role but if the P365 I bought a couple of weeks ago proves reliable (Had a few failures the first time I shot it) it would be the top choice.

2 - Target style 22. I currently have a S&W 41 which shoots great but is so finicky about ammo I would probably get a Ruger Mark IV and put an aftermarket trigger in it.

3 - Bigger 9. Pretty happy with my M&P 2.0 compact in this role but might look at a P365 XL or M&P CORE with a red dot.

4 - AR - Totally happy with my Colt 6920 but there are a lot of good choices in this category now.

5 - Shotgun - Remington 870 in 12 gauge.

6 - .22 rifle. Happy with my CZ 452, would get another CZ. Not sure what they offer these days.

7 - Wood pistol. I like the S&W 69 in 44 I have now but if someone makes a polymer framed, striker fired single stack 10mm I might switch. I do not really need a woods gun but like having something bigger than 9mm.

8 - 308 rifle. Really happy with my Weatherby Vanguard series 2 which is a rebranded Howa. Would buy the exact same gun if available.

pjanthony and -JCN- like this.
  11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

With handguns:
    2 Glock 43
    2 Glock 43x
    2 S&W 642
    2 Ruger LCP
    2 S&W 66 4"
    2 S&W 66 3"
    2 DW 44 6"

12. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Absolute solid advice above on where to spend that first $1,000.

Gen5 G19 and S&W 442 no-internal infernal lock J-Frame with some VZ grips.

In order to extend this further I can only go with what I personally enjoy shooting for the stuff I do.

• 28" Benelli SuperNova 12ga. Will handle the 3.5" magnum turkey or duck loads as well as any other shotgun needs you'd have.
    • Ruger FTW Ranch .30'06. Nice feeling solid hardwood laminated stock with an attractive camo job and matte stainless steel. Rock solid shooter that will cover all hunting needs and the removable muzzle brake makes range sessions feel soft on the shoulder. Sky is the limit on scope budget.
    • The rest I can honestly say is spent on 1911 pistolas. I personally am trying to up the ante on my meager collection. I started out with 5" .45acp. Now I'm adding 4.25" lengths and also other calibers: 9mm, 10mm, .38Super. I'm also buying better guns....tool steel internals, hand fitted parts, guns that will last a long time and be more accurate than I am. My older Springfields are getting new & improved internals and my current buys are all Dan Wessons. I've also specked out a few Wilson Combat and Alchemy Custom guns that I want, too.

-JCN- likes this.
  13. CajunBass

CajunBass

I don't think I'd change anything, except that I'd like to think I wouldn't always be chasing the next "bright, shiny thing I saw.

jame and pjanthony like this.
  14. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

Starting over today I might start with a 365 for a small concealed carry option. Then a compact, probably a 19, or a P320 now that they seem to have ironed out the issues with them. I do like the cheap frame change options with them.

I'd buy the S&W Sport 2 AR again.

DubfromGA and -JCN- like this.
  15. PzGren

PzGren

I am an active shooter and gun owner for almost 40 years and after owning hundreds of guns - and enjoying first hand experience - I came to the conclusion that few guns are worth collecting that will also have above average accuracy and are enjoyable to shoot.

This 52 year old Korth is going to the gun range with me at least once a week since about ten years, does not show appreciable wear and is a hoot to shoot!

I had bought my first Korth about ten years ago and realized that I had wasted thirty years.
    [​IMG]

jame, fx77, DubfromGA and 3 others like this.
  16. JK-linux

JK-linux

I’d do it all the same, but I would have held on to a few I let go.

17. DAKA

DAKA

I had no idea how expensive the KORTH guns are are
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/korth-revolvers.c1743_p1_o6.cfm

18. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Probably wouldn’t change much.

Remington 870, H&R single shot, and Browning O/U shotguns

Marlin .22LR and Ruger 10-22 rimfires

Glock semi autos

S&W revolvers

Ruger Mark 2 & 3 semi auto rimfires

Centerfire rifles in bolt and lever action

19. toofman

toofman

Glock 19 for EDC
    Silencerco Octane 45 HD
    CZ 75 tactical as a suppressor host
    Benelli M2 20ga
    BCM 18 inch barrel
    Ruger 22/45
    CZ AT-one

20. -JCN-

-JCN-

It’s a great time to be a gun owner, more choices now for CCW than ever before.

If there was a fire and I lost all my firearms:

1. P365XL with Shield RMSc. Small enough to carry, very easy to shoot, expandable to 15 rounds, downloadable to 10 rounds for non-free states with a $30 grip module swap. The most versatile CCW I’ve found.
    2. Smith 327NG: Scandium N frame, steel 8 shot 357 mag cylinder, 2.5” barrel. For those times you might want a revolver that has capacity and more shootability than a J-frame.
    3. CZ Shadow 2: for USPSA competition
    4. IWI Tavor 5.56 suppressed: home defense
    5. G19.5 MOS: The most versatile Glock IMHO.
    I think I would be very happy with just those 5 guns. I have a bunch of others that are fun to shoot sometimes but I don’t know that I’d bother to replace if they were lost.

jimcorbin likes this.