close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Oct 3, 2012.

1. boomhower

boomhower

iPad. Pretty much the only thing I do on my computer I can't do on it is convert movies to put on it and photo storage. I love the iPad. For typical consumer computer use it can do just about everything.

I have zero confidence in Microsoft being able to compete. For them to be competitive they are going to have to have iPad quality hardware and software at a cheaper price and I just don't see that happening.

If Apple comes out with a $250 iPad mini it's just going to be game over.

2. VANWALL

VANWALL

This is what I would do

3. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

4. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I would put myself into suspended animation until the iPad Mini was out then buy it.

I do not own any Apple products, but I have been looking at tablets for some time now and Apple has the most stable and usable tablets available.

If I really had to buy a tablet today it would be a Nexus 7.

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Because it's a tablet and not a laptop/netbook?

My Droid has HDMI out and an SD slot but no USB. Everything is a compromise.

6. syntaxerrorsix

Calling iProduct stable is a bit of a misnomer when you can't do anything with it other than what it wants you to do.

7. syntaxerrorsix

2x4's are stable as well but if you can't install third party nails and make it a house what's the point?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. sbhaven

sbhaven

Doubtful Apple Mini would have a price point under $350. Anything less then that they cut into their iPod Touch line. Plus Apple knows that the have a built in core of Apple product fanboys who will buy the Mini no matter the price point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. syntaxerrorsix

Here lies the real problem.

10. bchandler

bchandler

Funny how most Apple fans say stuff like "Android is a great product but I like Apple because...", while Android users constantly bash Apple products via insult. I read a lot of tech forums and blogs and this always happens.

OP: why not buy a product from Best Buy or similar and try it out, and if you don't like it, return it within the return period. You can try both!

11. sputnik767

sputnik767

Tablets are made to complement laptops, not replace them. If you're buying it to replace a laptop, you'll end up disappointed.

To answer the OP's question, there are 2 major contenders right now, iOS and Android. If you're a fan of iOS, the iPad will not disappoint. If you prefer Android, only go for Samsung. Since this does not seem like the thread for debating iOS vs Android, I'm not going to comment on the topic.

As far as Windows 8 tabs, their future remains to be seen. It looks great on paper though, but I'm not sure that the price point will be acceptable to the average buyer.

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

I have the TF201 that just got updated to Jelly Bean. Take my word for it and skip Asus all together. If you want an Android device, only go with Samsung. They are the Apple of the Android world, and likely even better.

13. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

I saw a tech report on Fox today that said the company that makes iPads for apple is bringing in a crapload of 7.5 inch screens.

May wait now, dang it.

14. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

iPad 3rd Gen, at least 32GB. Preferably the wifi + cellular one. You may not need the cellular radio very often but when you do, it's great to have that option.

I have a 1st gen iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 running ICS and the iPad is still the better experience.

iOS just works, the menus are logical for the most part, and it's just so much easier to use.

15. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

It's a done deal.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

iPad.

I'd, actually I am waiting for the 7.5" iPad.

17. Random

Random AtticRat

Which Android tablet do you have? Lately, I've found myself grabbing my Excite 10 and leaving my IPad in my locker most mornings.

Bigger screen, but weighs less. I drag and drop all formats of movies, music, books, comic books, pictures, and documents onto it without having to convert anything. Quad core processor instead of dual. Stereo speakers instead of mono. FLASHPLAYER. Built-in GPS. And its storage is expandable!! Got a 128gb sd card last week. I haven't filled it yet, much less touched my internal storage space. (Can't even imagine how much a 144gb IPad would cost if they made them) All that and I don't need proprietary cables to connect to my tv, projector, or laptop. I don't know.

I'm not anti-Apple. I still have an IPod, ITouch, and an IPhone next to my IPad in the same locker, but aside from a hi resolution screen I don't see what's so great about the IPad. I'm trying to come up with alternative uses for mine now.

I don't know which Android tablet you have, but maybe it's time for an upgrade. They've got some good models out there.

**Edited to add: oh yeah, and I have a usb slot. You would not believe how handy that can be.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  18. sbhaven

sbhaven

The problem with wating is, there will always be something better around the corner. There will always be the "next big thing", the next "ipod/ipad killer".

If you have the money, go Apple since they currently have the better App Store. And for tablets its all about the Apps. If you want more versatility, an open OS, generally a cheaper device which may have more features/options, and not be walled in with iTunes, then go with an Android tablet.

Every one's holding their breath waiting to see what Apple will deliver with the Mini. Once the Mini hits there is liable to be a fire sale on other tablets while the Apple Fanboys and media are busy fawning and hyping the capabilities of the Mini.

19. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Same here.

20. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Thanks everyone for all the info.

So if I get you all right, the only tablets to consider are the IPAD and the ones by SAMSUNG. Is that true?

I haven't fooled with the Samsung at all. Every time I see one in a store it is never operational. I have played around with the IPAD and ever since playing that video game Metalstorm for about 5 minutes, I want one.

Actually I am in the middle of trying to figure out what computer gear to get. I would love to have one of the Apple laptops, but they are just too much money for me right now. I've thought about getting a decent desktop and supplementing it with an IPAD. Then I've thought about getting a budget $250 laptop or a Pawn Shop Special and saving my money to get an Apple laptop, If I go that way, there is no reason to get an IPAD, is there? Although I have fancied the idea of getting a 17 inch laptop, it would be my only computer, and a Tablet.
    So many possibilities..... Then I tell myself to wait until we see what the Microsoft Surface will do and what capabilities it will have before buying a tablet. I think if the Surface is priced like the IPAD and it has functions like a laptop but without the fixed keyboard, I might really want one of those if it has access to the apps like Apple and Android does.

One other thing, it irritates me that the very cool game apps, and some in other categories, are only available in one format, usually APPLE. That game Metalstorm and the Zombie Gunship are only on APPLE. Excuse the mentioning of game apps, but these cool games are new to me. I never did buy a PlayStation, Nintendo or XBOX and play those games. I guess it's like I'm a kid that missed all the cool toys and now is trying to go back and see what I've missed.

Who knows what I'll end up with. A couple months ago I felt as though the tablets were just a toy, nothing more than that and that there was no reason to get one. I thought "why get a tablet that limits what you can really do on one, when you can spend a tad more and get something like the MacBook AIR 11 inch screen and have all the things you need right there. I still kinda cling to that idea, but I also see that a Tablet can be a useful tool and would be nice to have a good one.

It'll be interesting to see what this IPAD Mini is going to look like and what capabilities it'll have. No doubt it'll be great, but how great is the question. It has some competition in this area now with the Google Nexus 7 inch, the new Kindle FireHD 7 inch and so on. I have a Kindle Fire, the original one and I like it for what it allows me to do, but do get aggravated at how small it is when I am trying to navigate the web and type in stuff with that virtual keyboard.
    I handled one of the new Fire HD's the other day and they are very nice. Much nicer than mine and the reviews I have read so far have a lot of great things to say about it. I am curious about the 8.9 inch version coming at the end of next month. That is supposed to be really nice too with HD screen like the IPAD and 16 gb. LOTS of interesting stuff coming, can't wait to check it all out.

Thanks all for the time.

Nalajr