close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

After looking at several tablets this evening at Best Buy I wondered what is coming at the end of the year and beginning of next year and whether the Microsoft Surface Tablet would make a splash at all and become a MAJOR player in the Tablet world or would the IPAD continue to DOMINATE with no let off on demand.

What do you all think?

If you were going to predict, what features do you think will be on the next generations of tablets or what will the next wave of tabs will look like.
    Will the intro of Windows 8 make any difference in tablet design and functionality?

Do you think there will be tablets that have a Windows Explorer type capability where the user can access the folders, move and manipulate their files as they choose?

I'd like to hear what you think about what might be coming and what tablet you would buy right now and why.

I have one of the original Kindle fire tablets. It's a pretty nice little machine, especially for reading. You can't beat being able to take as many books with you as you could possibly read in a year and even more. I might try and pick up one of their new Fire HD models that has the bigger 8.9 inch display.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Nalajr

2. Bruce H

Bruce H

3. tcruse

tcruse

I would wait to see how good the windows 8 tablets perform. If you get one with x86/64 processor you will be ale to run all of your usual desktop applications as well as the "metro" stuff. Windows 8 is a little different but runs the current win 7 software without any difficulty and is somewhat faster on same hardware (due to less graphics requirements). Most users will find it to work fine. Enterprise users tha have server 2008 hyper-v admin requirements will not be so happy

4. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

iPad.

Since Vista, Microsoft has totally dropped the ball when it comes of operating systems...IMHO.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

...don't put too much thought into this stuff. Purchases are decided on at a whim, or with a minimal of thought regurgitation.

6. coqui33

coqui33 NRA Instructor

Hardware: Something with a pop-out keyboard, like the ASUS slider.

Software: Free, open-source Android, which is developing by leaps and bounds.

7. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6

Windows 7 is the best OS they have ever made.

I would also wait for Win 8. I have a gen 2 iPad and the Galaxy Note 10.1. Neither of them is all I want it to be, which is a laptop replacement.

I think the future will include dock able like the Asus Transformer, the ability to truly run Office apps, and dual boot Windows and Android.

8. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Tablets are pointless. Get a small laptop with a cd/dvd drive. Tablets can only do 1/10 of a laptop and often cost more.

9. YamahaBlue

YamahaBlue

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in December because I really liked the size versus the 10" tablets that were out. Having used it since and the fact that I have an iPhone, I would wait another month or so and get the iPad Mini. Not a fan of Android at all, very unstable.

10. HexHead

HexHead

iPad. It's the only mature platform.

11. HexHead

HexHead

Nonsense. The HD on my MacBook crashed 2 years ago and I've had no need to repair it. My iPad does all I need and that includes for my business as well.

12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

If was forced to use a touchscreen for all my computing needs I'd lose my mind. If I have to hook a keyboard up to a tablet to get it to perform so that I can type at passable speeds I'm going to buy a net/laptop. No way a touchscreen tablet without a file structure and the ability to easily transfer and save data will replace a real computer for the majority of users any time soon.

13. HexHead

HexHead

It's all what you get used to. I bought a new iMac a few months ago, and I'm so used to typing on my iPad in landscape, I hate using the real keyboard on the IMac. Between the iOS shortcuts and the layout, I can type much faster and more accurately on my iPad than on the iMac.

14. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

A tablet is not a laptop and if you bought one thinking it would be a laptop replacement you didn't do your research.
    Buy any 7"-10" tablet, skip they keyboard because that's like putting diamond ear rings on a pig.
    A tablet is a media consumption device that is capable of light work.
    They are designed for internet browsing, reading email, playing games, e-books, music and possibly reading/light editing documents.
    They are for doing all this on the go, train, airplane, in the car or at the Dr's office waiting room.
    I have a iPad2, Nexus7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and 10", all are great for what they were designed to do. If I need to work on the go I break out the MacBook Air, but if I want to be entertained on a 6 hour flight I use my tablet.
    Go into it as an educated customer to avoid disappointment. One more time, A tablet is NOT a laptop replacement.
    My 7" tablet will slip in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts and I can watch a movie in HD, answer a few emails or browse some forums while riding the crowded metro 45 minutes into DC then pop up Google maps and navigate to where I'm going once I'm downtown. That's what a tablet does that laptops can't.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  15. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

If I only has $200 to spend or I really wanted a smaller form factor, Nexus 7 is the only choice. I would buy no other android tablet. 100% stock 100% supported by google.

If I had $500 to spend iPad all the way. Mainly because all of the apps come first to iPad and get the updates the fastest. There are many more business class apps available for iPad as well.

16. cranejc

cranejc

iPad - several stores still have iPad 2's for $100 off, since they're last year's model. I prefer stability, reliability, fit, and finish - I've owned androids and iDevices, and Apple just does it right for me.

17. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

If you are a MAC guy, get the Ipad.

If you are a MS guy (and have need for MS Office apps) I would wait and see how the Surface Pro looks/acts/performs..........

Just my .02

18. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

New Mexico to DC in 45 minutes. Thats a hell of a Metro ride! :rofl:

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

It's thanks to stimulus money.

20. nesnah2

nesnah2 Atom Smasher

Nexus 7 tablet. It runs "vanilla" Android ICS (4.0.4, go to the droid life site for a good review). The Asus Transformer Prime is also supposed to a beast of a tablet, and getting the Jelly Bean (4.1) update within the next week.