Glock Talk banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts
Hi,

Starline is going to swap the nickel brass for regular brass so I'll see how the regular brass does.

Thanks,

Alan
Awesome, glad they are taking care of it.

Here is a photo of one of mine after sizing in my Dillon sizing die. The dimension prior to sizing at the widest part of the bulge is .434".

Mine look like this with Lee carbide and stock G20sf barrel.

Is this considered normal? This post has me really looking at my brass! :wow:

In fact, I've decided to post a pic of mine.

On the left is one of my worst bluged cases I can find in my once fired brass shot from stock G20sf barrel. This is all top brass from BVAC bulk 180gr@1200fps.

The middle is a resized one just like it, showing a definite ring on the bottom. I think the difference is there are no square corners or abrupt changes of direction where the die stopped.

The right one is a finished reloaded of these brass. .421 on the mouth.

Do these look alright to you all? I haven't reloaded shot brass much yet in 10mm and these pics got me wondering, just what is right/normal?

I figured that at worst, I could show what brass is definitely (or not?) acceptable.

BTW I am using these brass on my LCT with the 4-piece Kempf die set to load 150gr nosler 1.255" with 7.0 up to 7.5g Unique, for accuracy only. Nosler list this as "the most accurate load tested", and I want to see.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #85 ·
Hi walrus108,

Those look fine to me. The Lee die I picked up doesn't size as low on the brass and doesn't cause the issue. I've just always been accustomed to sizing as low as possible, but the Redding allows too low.

Thanks,

Alan

Mine look like this with Lee carbide and stock G20sf barrel.

Is this considered normal? This post has me really looking at my brass! :wow:
It is normal for my brass sized with my Dillon die. The brass works fine in my Stock G20 and G29 barrels as well as my G20 KKM barrel.

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Hi,

Well, I'm almost back in business. Starline swapped the nickel out for regular brass and Redding swapped the die out for one that is 0.001 larger. I can't complain about either company as they both addressed my issues. I'm waiting on a Storm Lake barrel which may be another 4-5 weeks or so, but once that arrives, I'm going to start loading for the G20 part two - hopefully this time it will go better.

Thanks,

Alan

Discussion starter · #88 ·
Hi,

My 10mm saga continues. Barrel arrived from Storm Lake yesterday and it looks great. I really like the black finish on it. The chamber on it is very tight, tighter than my Dillon case gauge. I can't complain about how the brass comes out of it as it is still small enough to fit in the case gauge, but it only feeds about 50% of the time. It always hangs up the same way - cartridge is about 35% in the chamber and it wedges itself still at the feeding angle. If I pull and lock the slide back, the cartridge is just a little bit stuck. You can give it a little push and dislodge it however. The trick of slightly pulling the slide back and letting it slam forward would sometimes finish loading the round too. I guess I need to send it to SL for a little polishing...

Thanks,

Alan

Sorry to hear your Storm lake barel didn't work so well. I went to an IDPA comp last weekend, and the only failures I saw were Glocks with shiny steel (obviously aftermarket) barrels.

I have since measured my G20 SF chamber. The widest point I can find is .428. My G22 barrel circa 1996 measures .431. Not much brass unsupported on the ramp either on the G20. It seems that Glock has increased the chamber support considerably, at least on very new glocks. My wife just bought a G27 gen 4. I'll have to check out her chamber and compare it to my old G22.

I'd be interested on what your SL barrel measures when their done with it. And also how they take care of you. I'm considering buying a slightly longer SL barrel for my G20.

Hi,

My 10mm saga continues. Barrel arrived from Storm Lake yesterday and it looks great. I really like the black finish on it. The chamber on it is very tight, tighter than my Dillon case gauge. I can't complain about how the brass comes out of it as it is still small enough to fit in the case gauge, but it only feeds about 50% of the time. It always hangs up the same way - cartridge is about 35% in the chamber and it wedges itself still at the feeding angle. If I pull and lock the slide back, the cartridge is just a little bit stuck. You can give it a little push and dislodge it however. The trick of slightly pulling the slide back and letting it slam forward would sometimes finish loading the round too. I guess I need to send it to SL for a little polishing...

Thanks,

Alan
I've only had experience with storm lake barrels for my G30, and G21. When they say match grade chambers, they are serious! My reloads, in 45, have been reloaded 15+ times, and SL barrels did not care to feed some, at all. After contacting SL, they said they would ream the chamber open slightly, at no cost. After shooting the factory barrels from Glock, decided, after market weren't necessary shooting lead in 45. Both barrels were sold!!!!!!!!!

Discussion starter · #91 ·
Hi,

Well I decided to go ahead and polish the feed ramp edge and chamber a bit with flitz polish to slicken things up. I made up some dummy rounds (no powder or primer) and began hand cycling and the polishing sure seemed to make a difference.

I noticed that most of my hand loads drop into the chamber with the same noise as I hear when popping them into the case gauge and they fall right out when tipping the barrel over, but still a few seem to get a snug fit right at the case mouth. These same rounds fall into and out of my Dillon case gauge and I applied a little more crimp on them and they then do the same in the barrel.

I'm going to give it one more shot at the range to see how it does before sending it to SL, maybe it will work great now.

Do you guys think I should pickup a box of CCI blazer to test with as well? All my handloads fits the case gauge I have and are 1.250" oal, but I wonder if I should try some factory rounds as a test too.

Thanks,

Alan

Discussion starter · #92 ·
Hi,

SUCCESS tonight. Finally. I shot 35 rounds (from the same batch that failed on Saturday) and all went perfectly. Nice even ejection, beautiful barely expanded brass, no feeding issues, excellent accuracy, consistent lockup.

Thanks,

Alan

In my mind that is the optimum outcome! I don't mind problems when they can be found and corrected. Now if you have any issues down the road you will know what to look for and how to fix them. If you get real adventurous you can make all those components work with lead bullets.:)

This. Never seen anything that bad and I reload 'em 'til they die.
I guess the trick is to know when they'd die, before they do.

I had a repeatedly used rifle case that got widened at the head that it had trouble loading onto a case holder. Close inspection indicated expansion. Toss it, before it tosses you.

Repeated expansion due to firing, then resizing of the neck will weaken the metal. Metallurgy folks call it "metal fatigue", the kind of things that happen on airplanes over time.

Annealling helps soften the metal and extend case life, theoritically. But it's tough to do on short cases for handguns.

Hi Everyone,

If you use a stock barrel, do you reload your brass?

I tried a few what I thought were 30K or lower pressure loads, and the result was 18 out of 20 cases so balooned that resizing them gives a sharp crease where the sizing die stops. I also had a pretty hefty gouge in the case rim.

Thanks,
Forget the stock barrel. On my G20 Glock replaced the first one under warranty it was so bad in Glock smiley department. The seond was not much better. Went Barsto about 8 or so years ago and never had a smiley since. I am not fond of Glock Barrels and will probably replace the one on G21 in the near future. Not a Glock barrel fan. Glock needs more work on barrels for high pressure loads

Discussion starter · #97 ·
Hi,

Well guys, I have to tell you, my G20 has FINALLY gotten all the bugs worked out and is running great. I shot 51 more rounds on it yesterday and they all fired perfectly. Better than that, the brass comes out looking barely expanded using the Storm Lake barrel.

I'll be honest and say I don't know why anyone would deal with the stock barrel if they plan on reloading. IMHO it just isn't worth doing.

The more I shoot the G20, the more I love it. It really tames the recoil considering the energy/power factor. I was shooting it side by side with a 44mag Alaskan and despite the 11 oz heavier weight and that I was shooting 44spl (150 less fpe than the G20 loads I was shooting), the G20 was still more comfortable to shoot.

My final configuration:

Glock 20
Storm Lake factory length 10mm barrel (black QPQ)
BT guide rods Sta-Tite rod
ISMI 20# spring
Ameriglo classic sights (0.256" rear, 0.180" front)

I may try the 22# spring...

Thanks,

Alan

Hi,

Well guys, I have to tell you, my G20 has FINALLY gotten all the bugs worked out and is running great. I shot 51 more rounds on it yesterday and they all fired perfectly. Better than that, the brass comes out looking barely expanded using the Storm Lake barrel.

I'll be honest and say I don't know why anyone would deal with the stock barrel if they plan on reloading. IMHO it just isn't worth doing.

The more I shoot the G20, the more I love it. It really tames the recoil considering the energy/power factor. I was shooting it side by side with a 44mag Alaskan and despite the 11 oz heavier weight and that I was shooting 44spl (150 less fpe than the G20 loads I was shooting), the G20 was still more comfortable to shoot.

My final configuration:

Glock 20
Storm Lake factory length 10mm barrel (black QPQ)
BT guide rods Sta-Tite rod
ISMI 20# spring
Ameriglo classic sights (0.256" rear, 0.180" front)

I may try the 22# spring...

Thanks,

Alan
Can you measure the chamber size at its widest point. I am curious what the difference would be. My very recent G20sf measures .428. My 1996 G22 measures .431. It seems that Glock may have tightened the chambers up quite a bit recently.

Can you measure the chamber size at its widest point. I am curious what the difference would be. My very recent G20sf measures .428. My 1996 G22 measures .431. It seems that Glock may have tightened the chambers up quite a bit recently.
I can tell u that MY particular G20sf (recent gen 3) measures around .435-.436 if I recall correctly.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.