close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

if you had to pick between a nikon and a canon....

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Jaegergirl, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

what would you choose?

i think i'm going to take the plunge and get a digital slr camera. i have owned both the olympus 3000 and the 4040 digital camera's (my current camera is the 4040). they have been excelllent cameras and take wonderful pictures. my desire for something "more" came about a month ago when my friend bought the nikon d70. once i saw the pictures taken with that camera... i was in love......;3

i'm trying to decide between the nikon d70 and the canon eos 300d. i've been to www.dpreview.com and other sites and have read the reviews and i just can't decide. my husband is an amateur photographer/hobbiest so he'd go for either one... i'm a point and shoot kind of girl but did take a photography in high school (way back when) so i'm not totally camera illiterate.

i was just curious which one you'd choose.

thanks.

2. ExiledViking

ExiledViking

The Canon digitals are far easier to use.

In other words, using and getting thru the
    menus.

3. RBR

RBR

The Canon 300 will be like lugging around a full-sized SLR especially if your going to be carrying extra lenses. Don't know anything about the Nikons. Unless you really think you need something along those lines why not consider a digital Elf or something similar? The Canon G series cameras are pretty versital and take great pictures without being too bulky.

4. Ducman

Ducman

I have a D70. It extremely easy to use, whether using the dials or the menu. The pics are very sharp and the kit lens is head and sholders above the Canon kit lens. I also feel the CCD is better than the Canon Cmos.

I also have a Olympus c-4000 which also takes decent pics, but with the DSLR you get speed and flexibility. Not only does it process faster but the shutter reaction is instant on the D70, as is start up. I know I have missed many pics either waiting for the Olympus to start up or actually shoot after I pulled the trigger.

My Oly takes better Macros then the D70 with the Kit lens, but a change is lens will solve that. The D70 takes better pic when it comes to white balance, fast and long shutter speeds. It will also click off frames at 3 per sec.

The only down fall is the size and weight of carring other lens

5. hile

hile

I don't know about the D70, but I'll probably get a Canon 10D when I get a digital SLR.

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

hile, you're a bit late. Check this article. BTW, I agree with you on your choice, but bump the first digit up by one.

7. Jaegergirl

thanks everyone.

we talked about this a lot while we were camping this weekend. we've pretty much decided to go with the nikon... luckily my friend is going to let us borrow hers for a day or two so we can mess around with it. so unless we totally hate it (which i'm sure we won't), the nikon it will be. another added bonus is my f-i-l has the nikon d100 and has a bunch of lenses so we'd be able to share them. when comparing the 2 side by side, we wouldn't go wrong with either one i don't think.

yeah, you're right about the size. we've always wanted a digital slr camera and now that the prices are coming down, we want to upgrade. we'll keep our oly for the times we don't want to "lug" camera equipment around.

i hear ya about missing pictures because you had to wait for the c-4000. it's frustrating, esp. when you have children and are trying to "capture" a moment. that's one of many reasons why we want to upgrade.

thank again, you guys. :)

8. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

I have the Nikon D70 and love it. Bought it with 2 sigma lenses from Wolf for like 1230 shipped. http://tinyurl.com/6eaxa

9. Jaegergirl

we just purchased the d70 today. it should be here tomorrow. ;a we also bought 2 sigma lenses and also the sb600 flash. we did a lot of researching and think we got a pretty good deal.... gotta love shopping online! :)

10. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

I have the same setup. I ended up buying my bag and SB600 through cameta off ebay. Wolf was out of stock on both those items.

Enjoy!

I have been busy lately and not taken as many pics as I would like. I was sitting on the couch the other night and snapped this one from the living room window. Mmmm if you are not on a broadband connection I would pass on even clicking on the link.

http://www.millersmith.com/04sep04034.jpg

11. Jaegergirl

beautiful picture (i have dsl ;) )!!!!

hey, i know that store (cameta). that's where we bought everything. we upgraded one of the lenses and also got an "extras" package (card reader, bag, 512mb card, etc). we really didn't want the bag because we want one of those backpack camera bags we were able to get the card for a lot less had we bought it seperately so it made it worth it. also they threw in 2 uv filters for next to nothing so we really did well. the sales guy was very friendly and didn't try to push ANYTHING extra on us. i hear that's a big problem with a lot of these online places.

12. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

13. Jaegergirl

we're looking at the tamrac expedition 5 and the lowepro mini trekker classic bags. decisions decisions....

if i had more $$ to spend i'd pick up a couple of those cards. oh well, 512mb will have to do for now.

14. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

At Fine/Large JPEG you 146 shots on a 512 card. If you use RAW/NEF mode it drops greatly. I think you will find you take ALOT of pictures with the D70 due to the speed. In continous shutter mode and 4 frames a second it adds up quick. Obviously not all captures are keepers but you can fill up a card very quickly.

If you would like some info on the software that comes with it PM me. They want you to buy Nikon Capture for 100 bucks which I did ;)

My daughter loves that cameta encloses candy with their orders :D

15. Jaegergirl

yes, i suppose the card would fill up quickly. luckily my husband takes his laptop when we go on trips so we could download the pictures but i suppose if we're out somewhere and not lugging the computer around, we're very limited to the number of pictures.

it kills me that you pay $1000+ for the camera and nikon can't GIVE you the software.;Q

16. Ducman

Ducman

Thanks for the tip for the card. I just pick one up.. great price

For my website and pics I know I probably won't want prints for I shoot in Small/basic and can fit 1700 shot on a 512 card. For everything else i shoot fine/large not NEF which Photoshop element won't read

17. Guzzler2

Guzzler2 Millennium Member

The big thing I recently found out about going SLR or DSLR, is you really need to research which lens mount mount you want to deal with, Canon's, Nikon's, Sigma's, etc. And who's glass you like the best.

The best piece of info I have read: "You own lenses, you lease camera bodies." That is, you buy lenses and hold on to your favorites forever. But you upgrade the camera body when something new and improved comes out.

18. fade2black

fade2black USMC Veteran

Guzzler2 - I agree, in fact I think I mentioned that to JG a few times when we were talking about this purchase. Like she said, my Dad has owned Nikon's his whole life and has several lenses. So it will be nice that we can use each others lenses (He has a D100, an F4, and a N8008).The thing I liked about the D70 over the Canon 10d were the 1/8000th shutter speed and the 1/500th flash sync. Everything else was pretty much the same for what I will be using this for. One good thing is that this has rekindled my love of photography. I used to be out taking pictures almost daily, but I never really had a good feeling when using the Olympus point and shoot cameras. I missed the manual focus, the zoom lenses, and the satisfaction fo taking a well composed picture. I feel that was laking with the PS cameras. So I'm pretty excited about this purchase too.

How many more hours until the UPS guy shows up?? ;f

19. General Sherman

General Sherman

20. Ducman

Ducman