close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If you could live anywhere in the US?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by alexcc, Sep 19, 2012.

1. alexcc

alexcc

Hi all! I know there are a few of these threads but I have some specific criteria:

Let's say that you were a young, 20-something guy with the opportunity to immigrate to and work in the US. You're a software engineer looking to work in the tech industry. You love the obvious stuff like good weather, good food, oceans and mountains, but you also love the outdoors and guns/shooting.

Where would you choose to live and why?

I'm asking because this (my other option could be to move to Canada) may become a reality for me in a few months, so please try keep it impartial and don't just suggest the area you live (unless of course you think it would be a great fit). I've visited the US before and seen NYC, Denver and Vegas.

I couldn't live in Vegas. Denver was OK - I thought Denver was a bit ugly and boring but the surrounding areas were beautiful, especially when you got deep into the rockies. I loved NYC because of the atmosphere and it would be great to meet people and keep busy, but it's obviously a terrible place if you enjoy the outdoors and/or shooting. I might like it for a while but feel I would probably want out after a year or so.

I haven't been to the West Coast at all, and from doing some internet research it seems like it might be the best fit. Seattle gets a tick for just about everything except good weather - I've heard summer is great but only lasts for 3 months and then it rains non-stop. But with companies like Microsoft and Amazon it could offer the best job opportunities. San Diego/San Francisco also sound great, but don't get the nod regarding shooting, although both would be better than somewhere like NYC. Both would be more expensive than Seattle though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. slick64

slick64

I've lived on both coasts, grew up in northern NJ, but settled in TX. It really depends on what you're interests are. If you're a SW techie....I'd feel safe suggesting Austin, TX.

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Wyoming... It's beautiful there, not many people and it's a free state.

4. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

In order of preference:

Maui
    Hood River OR
    Bend OR
    Jacksonville OR
    Port Townsend WA

5. alexcc

alexcc

I've heard nothing but praise for Austin from many different sources. The lack of ocean is a bit of a bummer, but at least it isn't too far from it. Ticks just about everything else though... Thanks!

I agree that it's beautiful, but job prospects for a fresh software grad? I'm also young and so a bit city atmosphere appeals to me at this stage of my life.

6. alexcc

alexcc

Thanks. Generally, how much better is the weather in somewhere like Portland, OR than Seattle?

7. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Seattle has some of the worst traffic I've see outside of India and China. .

8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

San Diego is an awesome city. It has it's problems, but what city doesn't? The weather is a good as it get anywhere.

Naturally if guns/+10 rounds magazines/CCW are of the utmost importance then California cities are probably not on the list.

In general, I would not live east of the Continental Divide.

MF

9. slick64

slick64

Portland and Seattle are great cities, but you'll also have a higher cost of living and more than enough liberals. Not that Austin doesn't these days, but for a young guy, its a much better selection.

10. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

I worked out in western montana for a while. I love it there and If I didnt have a wife and parents here, I would move out there.

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

The weather sucks in both PDX and SEA, 8 months or grey light rain.

12. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Best of both world would be northeastern PA. Cheap property in a woodland setting. You got deer hunting, fishing, shooting and such and its only a 1 to 2 hour drive to NYC.

Because New Jersey sucks so bad a lot of people are willing to work in NYC and live in PA.

Other than that If you are OK with the cold New Hampshire is real gun friendly with lots of wilderness. There is also Florida and Texas.

13. slick64

slick64

I think people are missing the requirements, especially around the software tech possibilities.

14. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover Ham Radio Nut

I retire for good when I hit 60, 2 years from now. We will be moving to the Paradise Valley, Montana area. We visited the area when we were in the Air Force.

Beautiful, relatively quiet place.

15. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I will +1 New Hampshire! I grew up there. You could commute to Boston, MA (area) IF you couldn't find a tech job in-state. Not far from mountains, the ocean, Vermont/upstate NY. The Lakes region of NH is a very nice area (Lake Winnipesaukee) as well. Good luck with your near future, I'm assuming you plan to become a citizen?

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Alex,

It is a big country. There are crapholes abundant in every state (including Hawaii, Alaska, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Wisconsin, etc etc, and there are truly spectacular spots in every state (maybe except NJ :tbo:)

:rofl: Kidding about NJ. Here is a factoid....it is the only state in the nation where every county in the state is classified as "urban". Are there rural areas in NJ? Yes, but the population density is such that the average distribution of homo sapiens classify those counties as urban.

It depends on what you want to do, how much disposable income you have, are you furthering your education, climate you prefer to live in, who you'd like you neighbors and extended neighbors to be, how close do you want to be to the ocean, and or desert, and or mountains, and or the mosquito belt, or the snow belt, or in pine tree country, or on flatlands or surrounded by lots of lakes (or lots of jackholes)...if you need a 7/11 a dry cleaners and a pizzeria 5 min walk from you....if you hate driving, or love driving...etc etc.

17. alexcc

alexcc

Thanks for all the replies so far people. I've had a look at a few places mentioned so far, but still can't get Seattle out of my head for some reason.

I'm enjoying all the positive & negative points though, please keep them coming :cool:

18. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

"Where would you choose to live and why?"
    Mt. Vernon, Oregon

19. mixflip

mixflip

Northern California has all the things I love minus the gun laws and liberals infecting the place. But the pacific ocean, the rivers, the hills, the forests and the sierra mountains coupled with the entertainment of Tahoe and the bay area is hard to beat when on the west coast.

If I could reboot and start over... I might consider Oregon? I really fell in love with Oregon when I went on a road trip years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. tglahn17

tglahn17

No reason to get Seattle out of your head. Just go. I used to live in Seattle. The summers are spectacular. It does rain a bit the rest of the year, but after a few months, you hardly notice it. It's the best place I've ever lived, and I've lived all over the US. Good luck,