If you could have any rank in the army...

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Biscuitsjam, Mar 21, 2008.

1. John Biltz

John Biltz

Squad leader was the most fun I think I had. After that paper work and politics start rearing their ugly heads. Nice to have soldiers that are yours, that you know everything about. Troop time was the best.

rangerjd and Taroman like this.
  2. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I'll say it.

2LT

I enlisted (Reservist) at 38 with Masters Degree as an E4/SPC. Couldn't go OCS because of my age, and could only direct commission, but ONLY if I was in the army from enlisted (couldn't direct commission from the outside). So I rolled the dice. HUGE RISK!!!!!!!!!!! Took a year longer than I wanted, but made SGT-E5. I pulled it off eventually. However, not without a LOT OF BS!!!!!!!! from those with complexes half my age and no college, but twice my enlisted rank.

Then I commissioned. POOF!!!!!!!!!!! 90% of the BS went away, was only a PL, and no one expected anything of me. I was old enough to know my place, and freed up from any BS from anyone CW5 and below. Yes, I wouldn't touch a CW5/CSM, but he/she isn't going to press my buttons either.

Had to take a lot of heat in Basic Officer Course as a 40yo+ 2LT, but took comfort in the fact I was getting top tier 2LT pay, being house in billeting for free paid by the school house, AND also getting Per Diem. As well being authorized CALIFORNIA Basic Housing Allowance.

So yea, I was picking the weeds out of the sidewalk to be reminded of our place in the system relative to the Officer Cadre, but I was still getting $9,000 a month to do it. HAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FlyingKat316 and rangerjd like this.

3. Will-21

Will-21 You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!

That guy was my 3rd BDE CMDR at Ft. Carson in 1990. What a ******bag!

4. Will-21

Will-21 You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!

Same for me. Of my 21 years, SSG Section Sergeant of a 4.2 Motar Platoon was my favorite.

5. BUG'S

BUG'S

6. Blanton

Blanton

Started as E-3 in the Army, got out to get my degree. Back in as O-1, retired as O-5 after 33 years combined AD/Reserves. As a clinician if I took O-6 I would be forced out of the hands-on medical work and into a command position. I declined promotion boards to remain O-5. To me that was the best rank.

Snoopy47 likes this.
  7. SK2344

SK2344

I was in the Army for three years, from 1962 to 1965 and spent 26 months in Germany before discharged. I was a very lucky kid at 18 years old and not being sent to Viet Nam! Having seen what has happened to our Military since I was discharged, I have to say, I would not want to be in the Army of today for many reasons that I won't go into. I had a great time in my three years and it was a great way to become educated and grow up as a 18 year old to become a man!

8. FlyingKat316

FlyingKat316 Do not allow your kindness to be taken as weakness

Damn how time flies. Commented on here in 2017. Back now as a O-2. Been a E-2 -> E-3 in the Guard. Commissioned and just got home from a rotation in Europe for Atlantic Resolve. I have a 53 Soldier Platoon, 1 Warrant, and 3 E-7s. Lots of equipment in my maintenance platoon. Bout to be switched to a distribution platoon which I am not happy about as an Ordnance officer. Been in since 2015.

Snoopy47 likes this.
  9. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I was a total schmuck, and took Company Command as an O2. 160+ soldiers, and $50M+ of equipment, and only for headaches. I don't promote any sooner, and my "experience" doesn't mean anything because O3,O4, and O5 billets are only 85% and 65% and 65% staffed respectively (there is no competition for promotion until O6).

I did learn a few VERY valuable things going forward. With my command position I can see which units are RFX, which ones have NO PROPERTY BOOK, and what their mission set is. So, effectively I now can find future positions in units with minimal training schedules, no equipment to speak of, and have CONUS tied mission sets.

This LT plans to coast to LTC, and then retire.

10. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I respect that. I would hate to be Ordnance.

I would rather one my $500K trucks BURN TO THE GROUND than lose track of ONE $0.25 bullet.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

In the late 1950's, early 1960's I was a USMC Sergeant. I liked that.

Warrant Officer (Pilot) in the late 1960's was a whole lot better.

One day while flying a Army Colonel around, he told me that in a couple days I would be flying a VIP.....the commanding General.
    I told the Colonel, "I'm the most important SOB on this aircraft."

A short time later, in flight, the Colonel's holstered 45 and belt went out the doorless right side of the helicopter, from where the gun was held in by the seat belt.
    Everyone heard about that. It was never found and there was a little stink over that.

The first time I ever saw the General, a few days later, as the General walked up to my Helicopter, I was standing there holding the door open.

I could NOT RESIST, I said,
    "Sir, would you like me to tie your Pistol in the right seat belt?"

The General said, "Go F*** Yourself".

Trying hard not to laugh, I said, "General, is that any way for a General Officer to talk to a Junior Officer, who's aircraft he is getting into?

The General and I got along good and thereafter, every time he wanted a helicopter he asked for me. :)

rangerjd and FlyingKat316 like this.
  12. FlyingKat316

FlyingKat316 Do not allow your kindness to be taken as weakness

I deal with the maintenance side of Ordnance, which is roughly 90% of all OD officers. The other 10% are a mix of EOD and ammo related. I like my job despite the headaches

13. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.