GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Just lack finishing up
3,386 Posts
I hardly ever carry full size any more. Back more than 20 years ago, before CCW came to Texas and before there were so many guns built just for concealed carry, I bought holsters all the time. Always looking for the one that could best conceal a full size pistol. I've got a huge plastic tub full of them: IWB, OWB, leather, plastic, kydex and hybrids.

These days the only time I carry full size is when I am hunting.

But, so what? To answer the OP's question, if I were to carry full size I'd pick a hybrid for concealed carry and a DeSantis Speed Scabard for the field.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,351 Posts
Behind left hip, in a quality leather holster supported by a good solid belt. Beretta 92 Centurion, HK USP40c or Sig 229. Summer, winter, fall or spring. Jacket, unbuttoned shirt, BDU style shirt or whatever is comfortable. Just dress appropriately. I don’t stress about it. Most people are oblivious to it anyway.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I am 5'5" and 145lbs. I carry either G20,G29, or a G17 in a Comptac IWB under a normal fitting button down shirt or a baggy t-shirt. Prints alittle but who cares?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I carry a Sig 229 in a OWB leather holster at 4:00. I have IWB holsters that are sometimes used for smaller autos but find I'm liking the OWB for all carry lately.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,124 Posts
I carry a G20SF with a 5 inch barrel in a Blackhawk Serpa as a woods gun. I've practiced draw and shoot drills with snap caps and have never pulled the trigger "accidently" when using the index finger activated release which has apparently caused some people problems using this holster.

For this reason I've thought of switching to a Safariland 6378 ALS because it has a better locking and release system but I'm pretty happy with the Serpa. It's been comfortable on long hikes and fast and easy to access.

Open carry is legal in my state and acceptable in my community and I have tried it on a couple of occasions with both the Glock 20SF and a Model 58 S&W 41 magnum in a leather thumb-break holster but I prefer to carry discretely which requires a much smaller gun.

The model 58 is in xlnt condition with the factory grips and a Tyler T-grip adaptor and in the highly polished brown leather holster is my Bar-B-Q gun and I like showing it off.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Since I traded off my last 1911, and S&W 66 357, the only large frame I have is a G-41, well G-17,& 22 are as large as a 1911, it just doesn't seem like it.
I am working on getting my Model 66 back, I have a holster for it. A 2" 66, or a 2" 19 would be just fine. I am thinking about a platform for 357 Snake Shot.

·
RIP BUDDY
3,654 Posts
Lost 140lbs in last 17 months thought my 4506 & 1911 were off the rotation still carry right hip & crossdraw in a leather holster with stiff belt also a good shoulder holster under a shirt. In this area I can get away with an unbuttoned shirt. Still use a fanny pack to carry also, no matter I’ve stopped IWB carry completely since psoriasis combined with 100 degrees and 98% humidity my IWB holsters are really irritating. I always carry @ least 3 on me even though I only work patrol in May for bike fests. With department policy my pants are LAPD wool and the shiny clarino shoes because of a tattoo the size of a .25.
If you can wear jeans & cowboy/motorcycle boots a full size 1911 can be carried inside them. Practice drawing & it will become second nature. Just find friends with pistols and borrow a different type of holster for a day or 3 see what you like. We used to have a gun club that members would swap holsters around for a few days to see what a preference was. My 135lb 5’6” son carries a 1934 Government Model IWB crossdraw appendix in a modified older uncle mike. With a T-shirt under a golf shirt next size up and his NAA .22 belt buckle prints more. Daughter is 4’10 95lbs & carries a Beretta 92fs, soon to be a g19 or in a Bianchi X-15. When she finally gets discharged the PD she has been hired by decided her size precludes a full size pistol. If her hiring process with Naval Criminal Investigative goes through the 19 or 17 are going to be her options. She’s tiny spent a good amount of time in combat areas and feels under gunned with anything other than a full size.40/.45. But having spent 18 years in the Marines she doesn’t understand how the civilian world has changed.

Whatever you do do not carry on your spine, everyone thinks urban myth lay down on a piece of 2x4 at your belt line see how comfortable it is. Sportsman’s plus Tagua and Safariland all have 4 way holsters with one of the positions meant to carry like that. Extreme concealed weapon; but is a back injury or kidneys bruised worth that? Also 1911 has to be carried in Israeli fashion. It’s bad because the leather is really nice. Been given a few over the years and work nice for gen 2 Glock’s & XD’s Cross Draw and straight up hip.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I use a Galco shoulder holster to carry a G17 when weather permits here in TX; this usually from September through March. I actually got to wear it tonight to the movies due to cooler than normally weather. I usually just wear it under a light denim jacket or coat. Even with a vest it is concealed well.
Just for curiosity, I tried carrying carrying 100 rounds with the 33rd mags. With homemade leather strap extensions I had 3 mags, plus one in the chamber. They actually helped balance the weight of the holster. I am 6' and this was when I was 230 lbs; unfortunately I have put on more weight that I still need to get rid of.
Best of luck!

·
RIP BUDDY
3,654 Posts
Since I traded off my last 1911, and S&W 66 357, the only large frame I have is a G-41, well G-17,& 22 are as large as a 1911, it just doesn't seem like it.
I am working on getting my Model 66 back, I have a holster for it. A 2" 66, or a 2" 19 would be just fine. I am thinking about a platform for 357 Snake Shot.
If snake/rat shot is what your planning for majority look at a 6”barrel Judge or Governor the 3” is crap for snake shot but 6” fairly decent with most copperheads & rattlesnakes the fiber sight helps on the head shots. Hard to control some loads but .45long Colt is good against 2 legged snakes

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
. . . . If you have a good belt and size the waist on your pants appropriately, you can carry anything.
This.

I don't carry full-sized much any more, but when I did, it was a 5" 1911 at 4 o'clock in a Theis IWB or a DeSantis Speed Scabbard, with a couple of backup mags on the other side.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
All of you above have to have someone follow you around with a video camera -- to really confirm that your handle is not tenting out at weird angles in public places. In today's shrunken clothes styles, you need to look like you came out of a time capsule.

Your body type and build and clothing styles will determine if you are successful or not.

Comfort and concealibility are not always matched: feels great but sticks out like a fat lopsided hip tumor. A Hawaiian shirt is a dead CC givaway, that's why cops are easily made.

I'm too slim (and muscular) to wear a full size pistol in conceal without baggy tent gown. In battle dress , I use a thigh rig.
a tad punctilious IMHO

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
To me the best way by far is appendix to get really great concealment. Otherwise owb is the other choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 50 Posts