close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If you can go back to college as an adult, what degree field?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bearshoegun, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

Just wondering what the folks who have been down the road of life, around the corner and back, and lived to tell about it would choose if they had the chance to go to college and choose a field to study.

Maybe you've seen some coworkers make buku bucks in a field of study you wished you were in.

Maybe you know people who earn a good living in a field that didn't require a really hard study load?

2. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

Either IT or Exercise Physiology/Kinesiology. Stupid Finance degree :(

3. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

There are exceptions....but I've found a lot of examples of what your degree is in meaning not as much as just having a degree.

4. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I went to school so I could get a job in the field I wanted. It happened to be something I enjoyed, which I learned myself regardless of the school.

If I were to go back to school, it would be to study something that I enjoy that I couldn't pick up as well on my own, job prospects be danged. As long as it can be applied to a real career and I enjoy it, it is a gain.

Don't go to school to get a job. Go to school so you can learn more about how to do something you love.

5. loki993

loki993

If I had to go back and do it again it would be IT. In fact I'm actually going to do it now. I plan on going back to school to finish mt It degree starting either this summer or in the fall depending on where I'm at.

I do worry about my choice though as I hear the IT field is bleeding jobs right now and a lot of them probably aren't going to come back. So who knows if I would have done it out of High School I may be laid off right now. I'm honestly worried about being able to get a job after I finish, but I already have about 2 years down and its what I do well.

6. Adjuster

Adjuster

Marine mechanics gas/diesel/electronics/systems etc. etc..

7. johnd

johnd

Early in life I got BSc degrees in Mech E and Electronic E and then did computers.
    Much later in life I got a BSc in Finance and it made me wish Id done that one in my teens instead of those other ones.
    Having said that I realise that had I gone that route I wouldnt have got to where I got when I did.
    Life sure is strange isnt it?

8. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

The grass is always greener.

9. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Gynecology... with a back up in Computer Sciences and possibly another degree in Marine Biology.

That way I could play doctor and give exams on my yacht and have all the electronic gizmos I'd ever want to assist. :wavey:

10. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

botany or microbiology.

Mrs.Cicero

11. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Only if you could be selective in your patients. Ever sat in the waiting office of a gyno? I have.

12. loki993

loki993

For sure. I think the male Gyno probably has to be one of the unhappiest people in the world. I mean he probably thought it would be all pretty girls, and then the 400 pounder with god knows what gets up on his table and he realizes the mistake he has made.

Honestly all kidding aside I really have no idea why any man would ever want to be a Gyno.

13. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

LOL.... what's funny is I've said the same thing many times.

So, YES, I would figure out a way to be extremely selective. :whistling: :supergrin:

14. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

I have wondered the same thing. My BIL is a physician (internal medicine), and I asked him why guys go into OB/GYN. He says they're usually people who like both clinic work and surgery. It's a field where you can do both.

My wife's OB/GYN is a great guy, actually. My wife used to drag me along to her OB appointments, and I know my wife didn't necessarily enjoy them, but I enjoyed BSing with her doctor.

15. txjustin

txjustin

I have a BBA-Finance and will probably be going back to a top 15 MBA in the next 3 years.

16. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I'd probably go to be a doctor or wouldn't go at all. I know too many people with college degrees looking for jobs while I have a steady income with a career that didn't take 1 day of college. The worst part is the one's that won't pay off their student loans until they're 50.

17. SailingBull

SailingBull

THANK YOU!!! This is very good advice, and a real reason why college is mostly bull*****. There is a reason why most "4 year" universities have a 60% + dropout rate. Kids go right out of high school, on mommy and daddy's dime, have no clue what they want to do and either end up sociology majors and become good little communists or just dropouts. On the flip side most (something like 80%) of community college grads that go on to 4 year schools graduate. I can't help shake the idea that most community college grads are adults with working experience that have a specific educational goal (usually in a field they like).

As for me, I'd definitely go back for enginnering again, I just might have gone CPU or electrical instea of mechanical, but that was a toss up for me 14 years ago and still probably would be.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I assume you mean undergraduate. Medicine (MD) seems to be where the serious, fast, soon as you graduate money is, so a pre-med degree in whatever science looks best. In state government, even, some of our doctors make about twice what the governor does.

For everything else undergraduate, a degree is a degree, so I'd probably pick fairly something useful and just graduate. If I was decent at science, it would be something in the sciences, or else something in business.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I ALWAYS give exactly the opposite advice, especially to undergraduates. If you want to learn things you are interested in, go to a library - it's self-paced and free. If you go to college and pay, it's because you need the paper at the end to prove you did it, so you can get a job.

20. txjustin

txjustin

I'm not sure if you are implying the the ROI of a college education is not worth it or not. If you are...you're wrong.

The entry into the workforce when you entered into it is far different than it is now. For majority of jobs now if you don't have a college degree now, you will find it nearly impossible to enter into any decent paying job/career.