If ya haven't noticed...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GSD17, May 15, 2007.

1. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

I am getting back into the hobby.

I fell out of it about a year or so ago.. my Icom IC-T90A was having antenna issues, I broke the knob off of my Yaesu FT-8900R and took it out of my car when I bought a new car, I took on a night shift job, then left that job and went to a police academy, now work a night shift job in law enforcement. Just had no time or means of being on the air.

Well I have made steps towards getting back on the air.

1. I dug out the Icom IC-T90A, charged it, and figured out the antenna.

2. I bought a Kenwood TH-K2 from a friend, and charged it up.

3. I put a mag mount 2m/440 antenna up on the roof and rigged it up to be attatched to my HTs for temporary use in the house for nets, started checking into nets again last night.

4. I decided to really look into fixing the Yaesu Ft-8900R, and going to make it my base station. (Don't want the ugly Comet UHV-4 antenna on my car anymore... so that got me thinking.. what about mobile?

5. I just ordered me a Yaesu Ft-1802R, small Comet mag mount antenna, and programming software from Gigaparts :banana: Sure, its only 2m, but I found that with my FT-8900R, I RARELY ever used 10m or 6m, and 440 only gets used about once a week for a simplex net around here... so 2m only will do just fine.

6. Gonna go ahead and start studying up for my General Class... AGAIN.

Like a dummy, I took the General theory a year or so back, passed it, never took the code, lost the theory..

Then I will have to look into a good HF rig..

Just thought I'd share since something sparked my interest in ham again..

2. ki4dmh

ki4dmh Glock Lover

You are now doing what I need to be doing. I need to get off my dead rear end and get back to radioing. catch you on the air sometime. :thumbsup:
    Scott

3. FN64

FN64 Guest

KUDOS on both of you!!
    I'm stuck in an apartment & all I have room for is VHF & 20M wire. So I can be found on Echolink from time to time.

BTW the general class pool has been stirred & the test will change on July 1, 2007 so make sure you nail it before then or study the new questions. Both can be had here:
    http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

Also take a bunch of practice exams..
    http://www.w8mhb.com/exam/
    or
    http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Same questions from same pools just different formats.

Feel free to post questions here.. We'll help as best we can from the keyboard..

73..FN

4. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

I am about to be screwed as far as antennas go myself.

Right now I live at home with my parents, on 13 acres in rural Alabama... I can do whatever I want.

In the next couple of weeks/months my g/f and I have about decided to move in togather in her apt. so...

Oh well...

5. FN64

FN64 Guest

6. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Well, my Yaesu just came in today :banana: I just put it in my car. Gotta go play with it :supergrin:

7. FN64

FN64 Guest

If'n ya want to keep a semblance of peace with the little woman of the house I strongly recommend a decent power supply & working the rig indoors. Rigs are commonly taken back & forth in this manner.. besides IMO it's easier to tinker on a rig sitting on a desk till ya learn all the cool features.

Glad ya got you rig.. Have fun..
    FN

8. ryanm

ryanm

Study and take the General ASAP. I believe the question pool/tests change again 1July.

It looked significantly more difficult.

N5QZ

9. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Thanks for the heads up...

I hadn't looked at the new pool.

I have only even got a chance to talk on my new rig once so far.. I just ain't in the car at the right times of day.

I think I may have the part I need coming for my other Yaesu, so I may have me a 70cm/2m/6m/10m base before too much longer!