GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
SHOOT SAFE!
889 Posts
trusted family or friends... notice i said TRUSTED family and friends. there are some family or friends i wouldn't arm, but others i would.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Can’t those neighbors go to Walmart(wherever) & buy a pump shotgun? They have ammo right there on the shelf.

It’s like my chainsaws, very unlikely to lend out, same as guns. Only exception would be well known, close, acquaintances. Even that would be unusual.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
I will further expand upon my previous comment.

1. there only 24 hours in the day. When you subtract the time devoted to personal care, eating, cleanup and sleep, you no longer have 24 hours. When things get really bad and you have to take care of a loved one who is down, you have even less time.
2. I have the skill sets that are needed for survival. My neighbors do not. Whatever skill sets they have, they will have to use them to survive. Not everyone will be a warrior. I suggest that you read the book about the Bielski brothers. They DID NOT give weapons to everyone. The carpenters built, the tailors fixed clothes, the shoe maker repaired shoes. You need to get out of the mentality of everyone being armed and dangerous. You should focus on how to bring leadership to a survival group of relatively unskilled people. Such is more critical to your personal survival and the survival of the group.

·
Banned
31 Posts
your neighbors will be the ones that are attacking you. i have no intention of being anywhere but in a hole in the ground, near a lake, with lots of other holes holding food and gear., if shtf. There will be no water in the pipes, so cities and towns will burn. You can't stay there.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
your neighbors will be the ones that are attacking you.
In that case I'll hand out .22s with the Federal 38 grain copper wash Jam-O-Matic ammo.

:)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
No, would not loan. Family in town already has guns. Would probably rendezvous at this fire base. There is an older widow lady we are friends with that has no one. We'd probably take her in.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I have dozens of AR’s and hundreds of loaded magazines. I built a bunch of 16” AR’s specifically to hand out (with 7 mags each) to friends and neighbors. If need be, I’ll organize them, arm them, and put them to work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have dozens of AR’s and hundreds of loaded magazines. I built a bunch of 16” AR’s specifically to hand out (with 7 mags each) to friends and neighbors. If need be, I’ll organize them, arm them, and put them to work.
I can think of better ways to invest 20k but dang man, if that's what you think if best.

Is this you?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I can think of better ways to invest 20k but dang man, if that's what you think if best.

Is this you?

[youtube]JNuiAZP2dtM[/youtube]
All in, I’m closer to $50,000. I’m hoping to add something beltfed to the collection soon, so that will be at least another $30,000, and a few more Form 1 suppressors ($5,000ish). My buddy has an M60E6 (it kicks ass) and a Fightlight MCR upper on an M16 lower. I want my own MCR/M16.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Absolutely. It's amazing how many people seem to have the mistaken "assumption" that retired cops leave their guns behind when they retire, or they don't have the legal ability to carry concealed weapons if they're honorably retired.

I've been asked by people I've known for some time, and who are intelligent well-educated persons, if I could still carry a weapon once I retired.

I typically deflect the question to discuss that in most states, and particularly here in CA, honorably retired peace officers may continue to carry concealed firearms in their retirement, if they fulfill the requirements of their former agency and the state ... should they choose to do so, and don't become a prohibited person.

Most of them stop asking for further details at that point, as their general question has been answered ... and specifically if I launch into some detailed explanation of statutes and legal language ;) ... and don't remember to specifically ask about whether I carry a retirement weapon. :cool:

You want a gun? Go get yours the same way I got mine. Buy it, and also go through whatever paperwork and arcane nuances of state laws as may be required ... and that you probably voted to put in place, in the first place. o_O Not my problem.
I get it. But one thing some have brought up is, several neighbors defending the area, armed, may be more safe than just ourselves just trying to go solo. That doesn't mean all neighbors are trustworthy, or ready to be armed. But, if they are, but for some reason don't have a gun at the time SHTF, it may be in our self-interest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's been well known throughout history that big fish eat little fish. If you have not trained to be a big fish over the years, well in that case I will watch as you are being eaten..!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Wasn't it easier when the Russians and Chinese were our enemy's, they look and spoke different and were easy to pick out of the crowd. After all these years, we find out who is the real enemy, democrats. I won't talk to them I'm surely not handing them the very object they're trying to take away, and I'll be doing the eating.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not a chance.

I worked as a criminal investigator for years and have seen over and over how people will turn on each other, and stab them in the back during good times, let alone during a time of crisis. There is no way I would hand out guns to neighbors that I know only causally or in a basic neighbor sort of way.

You have no idea what they are contemplating in their heads. The odds of them getting friendly with you and wanting to "talk shop" while actually gathering intel to see how much of what you actually have in your home is pretty high. At the first sign that there might be a situation that calls for a decision to be made whether to stay or pack up and leave, or supplies are running low, one or two of those neighbors that you showed yours guns, ammo, food, etc to, is strongly considering putting a bullet in the back of your head in your own kitchen.

He will justify it since "Hey my family needs that stuff, and every man has to make tough choices.. so POP!"

My house has a full basement. The short story is that I did 13 rotations in the middle east doing some contractor stuff. Not one of those pictures showing me doing any of that is upstairs on the main level for the casual observer. I explained it to my oldest kid when she asked about putting some of my war/team pics upstairs. I told her no.

Nobody needs to know anything other than "Here is "All American Dad and kids". That is it. If they are close friends, then they get invited into the basement and know the other side:

Upstairs is all kid pics and the mild mannered guy who makes a mean grilled cheese sandwich and helps out with school stuff.

So, in short, NOPE. Not a chance of arming others that I am not 100% sure about.

Reactions: Hef and fastbolt

·
you son of a
1,377 Posts
"Would you loan out guns to unarmed neighbors?"

What is that? I live in Kennesaw. :D

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Not a chance.

I worked as a criminal investigator for years and have seen over and over how people will turn on each other, and stab them in the back during good times, let alone during a time of crisis. There is no way I would hand out guns to neighbors that I know only causally or in a basic neighbor sort of way.

You have no idea what they are contemplating in their heads. The odds of them getting friendly with you and wanting to "talk shop" while actually gathering intel to see how much of what you actually have in your home is pretty high. At the first sign that there might be a situation that calls for a decision to be made whether to stay or pack up and leave, or supplies are running low, one or two of those neighbors that you showed yours guns, ammo, food, etc to, is strongly considering putting a bullet in the back of your head in your own kitchen.

He will justify it since "Hey my family needs that stuff, and every man has to make tough choices.. so POP!"

My house has a full basement. The short story is that I did 13 rotations in the middle east doing some contractor stuff. Not one of those pictures showing me doing any of that is upstairs on the main level for the casual observer. I explained it to my oldest kid when she asked about putting some of my war/team pics upstairs. I told her no.

Nobody needs to know anything other than "Here is "All American Dad and kids". That is it. If they are close friends, then they get invited into the basement and know the other side:

Upstairs is all kid pics and the mild mannered guy who makes a mean grilled cheese sandwich and helps out with school stuff.

So, in short, NOPE. Not a chance of arming others that I am not 100% sure about.
Thats an interesting perspective. You’ve given me a reason to reconsider my own plans. Thank you.

·
Registered
27,814 Posts
Thats an interesting perspective. You’ve given me a reason to reconsider my own plans. Thank you.
Think for a moment how you'd feel if facing the muzzle of your own gun. Bad enough if it were one taken from you by force ... but imagine how foolish you'd feel if it was one you'd loaned someone.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Good Samaritans can be killed with their own swords ... or guns.

Having a gun is one thing, but not letting it out of your control is the real trick. ;)

Reactions: Hef

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I'm pretty sure that most of my neighbors are armed; there are a lot of Gadsden flags, LEOs and retired/active duty military in my subdivision. Though I suspect that comparing my arsenal to some of theirs would be like that scene in Death Wish 3 where Paul Kersey pulls out an M1919 Browning machine gun and his neighbor has a zip gun.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts