If things got really bad. . .

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by wjv, Oct 15, 2020.

1. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

I would not loan out any gun to anybody.
    All my neighbors are well armed, and I hear them practicing regularly.
    If things go very very bad I’m confident I am in a good place with location friends and resources.

2. texmex

texmex

I might loan them a sumari sword or a machete. I'm keeping the Gladius myself. It does not run out of ammo. Not that I don't have plenty of 22 LR, 223 and 45 ACP. The Gladius is very quiet and very economical.

3. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

When the subject has come up, over the last few years, friends and family have told me they are all coming to my home. They said they were serious. I told them fine, just bring your money, food, fuel, water, guns and ammo. I said I was serious. Some of them looked funny and said OK. Some of the more sophisticated of them just nodded. I can't think of anyone within miles of me that would need to borrow a gun or ammo.

4. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

All my neighbors are armed as well or better than I am. I doubt any of them will be asking for any handouts. On another note, because of the afore mentioned, any armed or rowdy insurrection in these parts would be quelled very quickly.

10or45 and Gray_Rider like this.
  5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

That of course is a excellent response. Ask them first. When they bumble up. “You know with all this going around...we are thinking having something to protect ourselves...”
    Butt in “do you know where I could get a gun? Do you have one I could borrow?....”
    I have a couple neighbors I would loan a gun to. They only have a shotgun. 3 kids, another has a shotgun, rifle, likely 20 rds for each. But dairy cattle... or family if they make it home. After training.

Schrag4 likes this.
  6. lazarus66

lazarus66

I don't have many guns but trading sex for drugs would certainly be on the table.

R.B. Riddick and 'Ol Grandad like this.
  7. Bish1309

Bish1309

This right here is great advice and insight. Your neighbor today may be your enemy tomorrow.

Walk Soft and Gauss Rifle like this.
  8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

NO! I would not give guns to other people.

10or45 likes this.
  9. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

Thank you.

I tend to look at private firearm ownership as a (rather tame) form of cold warfare where your opponents (which does not necessarily mean "enemies") are literally everyone; including your neighbors and the government.

"Intelligence" has always been a critical part of effective warfare. As such, the less anyone knows about your defensive capabilities, the more effective they will be when the time comes to use them and the less likely you are to get "red-flagged" by some liberal busy body. This is crucial for those of us who live in blue states.

DeraldR and 10or45 like this.
  10. SDDL-UP

SDDL-UP

I can't say I would be loaning anything out, as others have stayed - liability issues. They may very well have no idea what they are doing and send rounds your way! Family and friends - yes. I'd offer sanctuary to those in need, or help arrange a neighborhood patrol or something, but I can't see loaning guns out.

11. HouGlock

HouGlock

They would have to be in my "inner circle" of very close friends, and they already have what they need, so loaning wouldn't happen here

12. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Yup, and my friends are armed already.

13. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

BRILLIANT_.jpg

Speleothem and lazarus66 like this.
  14. Aceman

Aceman

Not gonna give an absolute answer here.

Generally speaking, close friends and family only that I trust, know are trained, etc. So, basically "no"

That said there is a time and place for everything. Hording my firearms against enemies is no good. If I need five people shooting with me, and four are not armed, it might be time to change my attitude.

I will not let my attitude dictate my actions. I will let the situation make the correct choice for me. That could be hand them all out but the one I'm holding, or none of them.

Those set hard and fast rules, will be likely found dead afterwards, with their principles, but not their skulls, intact.

doktor doom and motorcycleman like this.
  15. Cambo

Cambo

I struggle with this. I am almost 100% positive I am the only armed person in my neighborhood. Not that I have law enforcement / combat experience, but one of my neighbors is a former corrections officer, and the other was in the Army. The former CO is a major ahole, so he's out. The former Army guy is a computer geek, so no hope there either. But those would be the closest ones I could think of to helping me out from an experience perspective.

16. shadowlands

shadowlands

I only have the two guns listed below. I'd hold one, my wife the other.

17. bdcochran

bdcochran

I gave it some thought. My response, probably as usual, is a little off-beat.

I would give a hatchet, an inexpensive knife like an Ontario butcher knife with a sheath, my bo, metal and wood escrima sticks, wooden walking sticks, a South African plastic whip.

There are only 8 basic thrusts or movements that have to be learned. They can taught within a couple of hours. Of course, repetitive practice is necessary. It is like easy to teach the basic motions of using a kukri. Then it is a matter of practice and situational awareness, which is all on the user. Low cost.i

The neighbors have no skills. They don't have rudimentary military training. They are good only for sentinel duties.

When the male plains Indians learned to raid their neighbors, the novices did not go into battle with guns or bows and arrows. Thus they learned that situational awareness and stealth were more critical skills. Do you really want untrained neighbors given noisemakers and be overly confident?

Out West and mj9mm like this.
  18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I remember a story along that idea. Recruits at a Academy were teleported to a unknown, unsettled planet with some dangers. 3 months to survive to graduate. Broad choice of weapons, gear.... things go wrong instead on minor danger planet with rescue available but you flunk). They get sent across Galaxy to very dangerous Animal planet.
    The well armed tough guys wind up dead in days. The ones who brought basic tools (axe, knife, sword, antibiotics, water purifiers, anti toxins....) survived for 5 yrs before rescue. But they weren’t sure they wanted to be rescued. “Think like a rabbit” was the early survivors motto. Then learning predators weaknesses they no longer feared them, killed them as needed.

Out West likes this.
  19. Lumberj4ck

Lumberj4ck

Arm everyone you can. People from all walks of life can contribute to defense.

20. 3007

3007 Previously Will Beararms

No, I left an urban area of 5 million and live in a county with 9,000 people surrounded by mountains and a 40K acre lake 30 minutes from civilization.

All of the 200 weekenders and 50 full timers, of which I am one, are armed to the hilt. There is one formal way in and out of the mountain we live on and multiple informal routes.

All in this nation with an IQ of 80 or more have been given ample warning-s on the importance of being armed so no, I won’t arm others.

PrescottGlock, mj9mm and 10or45 like this.