GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I would not loan out any gun to anybody.
All my neighbors are well armed, and I hear them practicing regularly.
If things go very very bad I’m confident I am in a good place with location friends and resources.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I might loan them a sumari sword or a machete. I'm keeping the Gladius myself. It does not run out of ammo. Not that I don't have plenty of 22 LR, 223 and 45 ACP. The Gladius is very quiet and very economical.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,035 Posts
When the subject has come up, over the last few years, friends and family have told me they are all coming to my home. They said they were serious. I told them fine, just bring your money, food, fuel, water, guns and ammo. I said I was serious. Some of them looked funny and said OK. Some of the more sophisticated of them just nodded. I can't think of anyone within miles of me that would need to borrow a gun or ammo.

·
Director of civil unrest
8,563 Posts
All my neighbors are armed as well or better than I am. I doubt any of them will be asking for any handouts. On another note, because of the afore mentioned, any armed or rowdy insurrection in these parts would be quelled very quickly.

·
Premium Member
24,812 Posts
If it comes to that, you should ask your neighbors if they'd loan you a gun, LOL!
That of course is a excellent response. Ask them first. When they bumble up. “You know with all this going around...we are thinking having something to protect ourselves...”
Butt in “do you know where I could get a gun? Do you have one I could borrow?....”
I have a couple neighbors I would loan a gun to. They only have a shotgun. 3 kids, another has a shotgun, rifle, likely 20 rds for each. But dairy cattle... or family if they make it home. After training.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I make it a point to keep my interest in firearms a secret from neighbors or anyone I don't know so the locals are on their own. I don't need them trying to disarm me or kill me with my own weapons because they were too stupid to go buy their own guns, ammo and emergency supplies when they had the chance.
This right here is great advice and insight. Your neighbor today may be your enemy tomorrow.

·
Millenium #3936
6,230 Posts
NO! I would not give guns to other people.

Reactions: 10or45

·
Registered
571 Posts
This right here is great advice and insight. Your neighbor today may be your enemy tomorrow.
Thank you.

I tend to look at private firearm ownership as a (rather tame) form of cold warfare where your opponents (which does not necessarily mean "enemies") are literally everyone; including your neighbors and the government.

"Intelligence" has always been a critical part of effective warfare. As such, the less anyone knows about your defensive capabilities, the more effective they will be when the time comes to use them and the less likely you are to get "red-flagged" by some liberal busy body. This is crucial for those of us who live in blue states.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I can't say I would be loaning anything out, as others have stayed - liability issues. They may very well have no idea what they are doing and send rounds your way! Family and friends - yes. I'd offer sanctuary to those in need, or help arrange a neighborhood patrol or something, but I can't see loaning guns out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They would have to be in my "inner circle" of very close friends, and they already have what they need, so loaning wouldn't happen here

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Not gonna give an absolute answer here.

Generally speaking, close friends and family only that I trust, know are trained, etc. So, basically "no"

That said there is a time and place for everything. Hording my firearms against enemies is no good. If I need five people shooting with me, and four are not armed, it might be time to change my attitude.

I will not let my attitude dictate my actions. I will let the situation make the correct choice for me. That could be hand them all out but the one I'm holding, or none of them.

Those set hard and fast rules, will be likely found dead afterwards, with their principles, but not their skulls, intact.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I struggle with this. I am almost 100% positive I am the only armed person in my neighborhood. Not that I have law enforcement / combat experience, but one of my neighbors is a former corrections officer, and the other was in the Army. The former CO is a major ahole, so he's out. The former Army guy is a computer geek, so no hope there either. But those would be the closest ones I could think of to helping me out from an experience perspective.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I only have the two guns listed below. I'd hold one, my wife the other.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I gave it some thought. My response, probably as usual, is a little off-beat.

I would give a hatchet, an inexpensive knife like an Ontario butcher knife with a sheath, my bo, metal and wood escrima sticks, wooden walking sticks, a South African plastic whip.

There are only 8 basic thrusts or movements that have to be learned. They can taught within a couple of hours. Of course, repetitive practice is necessary. It is like easy to teach the basic motions of using a kukri. Then it is a matter of practice and situational awareness, which is all on the user. Low cost.i

The neighbors have no skills. They don't have rudimentary military training. They are good only for sentinel duties.

When the male plains Indians learned to raid their neighbors, the novices did not go into battle with guns or bows and arrows. Thus they learned that situational awareness and stealth were more critical skills. Do you really want untrained neighbors given noisemakers and be overly confident?

·
Premium Member
24,812 Posts
I gave it some thought. My response, probably as usual, is a little off-beat.

I would give a hatchet, an inexpensive knife like an Ontario butcher knife with a sheath, my bo, metal and wood escrima sticks, wooden walking sticks, a South African plastic whip.

There are only 8 basic thrusts or movements that have to be learned. They can taught within a couple of hours. Of course, repetitive practice is necessary. It is like easy to teach the basic motions of using a kukri. Then it is a matter of practice and situational awareness, which is all on the user. Low cost.i

The neighbors have no skills. They don't have rudimentary military training. They are good only for sentinel duties.

When the male plains Indians learned to raid their neighbors, the novices did not go into battle with guns or bows and arrows. Thus they learned that situational awareness and stealth were more critical skills. Do you really want untrained neighbors given noisemakers and be overly confident?
I remember a story along that idea. Recruits at a Academy were teleported to a unknown, unsettled planet with some dangers. 3 months to survive to graduate. Broad choice of weapons, gear.... things go wrong instead on minor danger planet with rescue available but you flunk). They get sent across Galaxy to very dangerous Animal planet.
The well armed tough guys wind up dead in days. The ones who brought basic tools (axe, knife, sword, antibiotics, water purifiers, anti toxins....) survived for 5 yrs before rescue. But they weren’t sure they wanted to be rescued. “Think like a rabbit” was the early survivors motto. Then learning predators weaknesses they no longer feared them, killed them as needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
- Random violence everywhere, not just in limited ares of the city.
- Thugs driving through neighborhoods and doing drive-by shooting or arson attacks
- Huge increase in armed home invasions

Would you loan out guns to unarmed neighbors?

If yes, what would be your criteria?

What about people who never used a gun before?

What about hard core liberal neighbors who suddenly are "woke" regarding the need to protect themselves?

I like having a lot of extra ammo so I can supply ammo to already armed neighbors who have the same calibers I do. I could provide everyone on the block with ammo and a firearm of some sort, but fortunately most of my neighbors are already armed. Out of 15 homes I'd guess 8 definitely, 3 probably and 3 unlikely. . .

Arm everyone you can. People from all walks of life can contribute to defense.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
No, I left an urban area of 5 million and live in a county with 9,000 people surrounded by mountains and a 40K acre lake 30 minutes from civilization.

All of the 200 weekenders and 50 full timers, of which I am one, are armed to the hilt. There is one formal way in and out of the mountain we live on and multiple informal routes.

All in this nation with an IQ of 80 or more have been given ample warning-s on the importance of being armed so no, I won’t arm others.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts