GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
A good friend only had a .45-70 lever action and a .22 mag revolver when covid hit. I offered him either an AR or a pump shotgun. He sincerely thanked me, and said he might take me up on that if things got bad. They never did. He has since picked up a 1911.

I have one neighbor I'd loan guns to, but he doesn't need any more. I have friends and family I'd loan to, but can't think of any other neighbors that I would.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I live in a democrat controlled state and I am not particularly fond of most of the people who live near me. When SHTF, I'm taking a leave of absence from work, boarding up my windows, deploying my shields/barricades, and loading up my primaries.

There are 8 people I'd look out for in an SHTF situation.

- 5 consist of two close friends, their wives and a child. Both families have their own firearms and I have no issue supplying them with ammo.

- 2 include my estranged dad and his wife, whom I don't get along with and are Biden supporters. However, since they are both ex-army and have handled M16s before. I've considered dropping off a "cache" of sorts for them if things get really nasty.

- The last one is a sibling who is loyal to me but would be a massive liability in a SHTF/combat situation. They're the kind of person you tell to go take cover while you handle business. ...BUT I was able to train them in firearms safety (excellent trigger discipline and muzzle awareness) and proper handgun grip so there is hope.

Anyone else is S.O.L.

I make it a point to keep my interest in firearms a secret from neighbors or anyone I don't know so the locals are on their own. I don't need them trying to disarm me or kill me with my own weapons because they were too stupid to go buy their own guns, ammo and emergency supplies when they had the chance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Many family/friends asked me during the beginning of COVID and then the riots starting in late May. My answer was that they should never ask for a firearm (the answer is of course "no" due to liability, and their general lack of know-how with firearms), and "I told you to buy something over the last 4 years and go get some training". Quite simply, its not my problem at this point.

Close friends with firearms, but who maybe didn't have a box of buckshot or defensive 9mm/7.62...I had no problem giving them a ONE box as a security blanket. That was quickly followed up with "Better buy more when you see it, and if you can't find more but run through that box...hop in your truck and get out of there cause there's a much bigger SHTF going on..."

I'm not too worried about all of this. Sounds like some internet scenario...if people come out here and start randomly shooting...it's not going to end well. Thugs know where they need to stay to get away with their actions...

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
The only unarmed neighbor I have is Doug the liberal one house down the street on the right.
He can buy his own gun, but I bet anything over a 22 short, the recoil would make him cry.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The only unarmed neighbor I have is Doug the liberal one house down the street on the right.
He can buy his own gun, but I bet anything over a 22 short, the recoil would make him cry.
Like that reporter a few months ago who claimed that the .223 AR he tried shooting bruised his shoulder. . .

Reactions: seanmac45

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Would you loan out guns to unarmed neighbors?
My area in northernish Arizona is pretty rural, lots of deer and rabbits and big properties and horses.

I can think of just one of my 7 closest neighbors (and this covers some ground) who may not have a gun. One.

And no way in hell would I lend them one of my firearms. They would probably wind up shooting my horse.

As to ammo ... I have a pretty deep supply, so yes, if push came to shove, I would probably give ammo to my already-armed neighbors.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
I occasionally speak with my two closest neighbors. We have a 2-3 acres wooded lots and don't bump into each other. I had a brief discussion about guns and ammo with one this year and it sounds like they have that somewhat covered. The other said something about having a .380 a year or so ago. I don't think either are what I would consider gun people. I would let them have some ammo or borrow a gun, if they asked. They can certainly afford to buy their own. I have never discussed politics with them.

·
Registered
30,056 Posts
"Would you loan out guns to unarmed neighbors?"

Depending on the situation.......Yes.

But there's no need to. From the amount of shooting I hear around here, the neighbors are well armed.

About a month ago, for the first time, I heard a full auto. Sounded like a Thompson.

I'm out of town. I hear shooting from at least six different places.
Of course, I shoot more than all of them put together. :)

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,533 Posts
Lots of guns in this neighborhood. I’d probably give a couple to a couple of elderly women neighbors if they asked. I would provide training as well.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
There are 4 houses on my street. We’re good.

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,431 Posts
Well
If it’s was like the end of the world with total Break down of laws & civilization and I would get to be the big kahuna warlord then only if they were smoking hawt
upload_2020-10-15_21-6-48.jpeg

·
Wolverine
9,068 Posts
Meh, all my neighbors already have their own guns, they don't need mine....
"Would you loan out guns to unarmed neighbors?"

Depending on the situation.......Yes.

But there's no need to. From the amount of shooting I hear around here, the neighbors are well armed.

About a month ago, for the first time, I heard a full auto. Sounded like a Thompson.

I'm out of town. I hear shooting from at least six different places.
Of course, I shoot more than all of them put together. :)
I think everybody in northern MI owns at least one firearm. So . . .

To answer the question, it depends. Given the right situation and the right people I might. Out of the gate just because? No.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Guns? Nope. I believe there are a pretty high percentage of households on my street that have chosen not to pursue ownership and training. They've had plenty of time.

Ammo is a bit different. When this virus thing kicked off, my next door neighbor mentioned that while he had plenty of range ammo, he was lacking enough for his defensive guns. I've known him for decades and actually sold him a pistol or two (going through NICS) when I worked at the LGS. No problem helping him out as carry ammo was unobtainable for a good while.

We did a little horse trading and he got enough hollow points and buckshot to be useful.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am fortunate to live in an area where all my neighbors think a like and are pro 2A. Every one has 10 acres or more so property rights and freedom is natural. there would be no issue sharing or loaning supplies...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
- Random violence everywhere, not just in limited ares of the city.
- Thugs driving through neighborhoods and doing drive-by shooting or arson attacks
- Huge increase in armed home invasions

Would you loan out guns to unarmed neighbors?

If yes, what would be your criteria?

What about people who never used a gun before?

What about hard core liberal neighbors who suddenly are "woke" regarding the need to protect themselves?

I like having a lot of extra ammo so I can supply ammo to already armed neighbors who have the same calibers I do. I could provide everyone on the block with ammo and a firearm of some sort, but fortunately most of my neighbors are already armed. Out of 15 homes I'd guess 8 definitely, 3 probably and 3 unlikely. . .
my family would be well taken care of. the kids call my house the bunker.

·
NRA member
822 Posts
If they’ve failed to prepare themselves as I have with a firearm, what’s to keep them from using that firearm from trying to access my other preps? I have my immediate household to be responsible for, I can’t save everyone.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts