close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If the police need it, I need it.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Dec 25, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

But I agree fully with the posts above talking about back up being miles away. This happens in Central Va and west Va and Pa too. There was a shoot out in a small town in Pa a few years ago with bank robbers and a citizen brought his ar out to help the town cops before the state pd arrived. So I guess this issue would be very subjective.

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

The police in this thread need sounder arguments. :whistling: Do you?

We are talking about "guns". Intoxixlyer doohickeys and Tetanus shots and Spike strips and tighty whiteys don't do the homeowner a lick of good if some dudes are kicking down his door, or if a knife is stuck in granny's car window when she is leaving bingo.

...and only a fool would mess with granny on bingo night, if she won, or lost.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

So what we are seeing is, you have not sat and thought hard enough about all of the "what ifs" that can turn your day into "oh crap".

• What if you are in your garage, which is attached to your house, and some guy sticks a knife in your neck as soon as you strap on your seat belt?
    • What if every other layer of security failed (dogs, alarm, door) you step out the bedroom with your rifle and dude gets you in a bear hug?
    In short, if I am physically fighting with someone - especially someone larger and stronger than I am, and ESPECIALLY if there is more than one of them, I DO NOT WANT my go to percussive gun to be a long gun. I would much rather have a small handgun I can get to fast and stick in someone's gut for a rapid succession of shots until they stop beating my head in or choking me out or ventilating my torso with a sharp edged weapon.

4. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...s-breathalyser-kits-compulsory-motorists.html

Kinda funny that you have to have at least TWO if they are single use.

What is permissible in court in your state has no bearing on French law. When you drive into France, you must follow French law.

And in case you dont know, I live more in Germany than the USA. My apartment is near Basel. In case you dont know where that is, I can be in Switzerland and France in a matter of minutes. As an example the Basel Airport is not in Basel, Switzerland but Mullhouse, France.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

That's a PBT, not an Intoxilyzer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

6. brisk21

brisk21

Why the hell do we have to justify "needs" when it comes to firearms? That right there is the question. When someone asks me why I need something like an ar-15, I wonder, Who the ****** are you to ask me that?"

7. OlliesRevenge

OlliesRevenge

Dude, you have a violent imagination. Having a knife stuck in my neck just for putting on my seat belt... would particularly suck! Maybe the guy just hates seat belts?

Seriously though, that's a lot of "what ifs". I don't even feel like I disagree with you enough to want to split those hairs. But to be fair I feel like you are largely ignoring my original caveat of -- "if there were a rifle or shotgun available".

Stay safe, and watch your neck!

8. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

It is called a survivor's mindset. It is no uncommon to think of scenarios in your head and logic out what would probably work less. That is typically the difference between people who freeze up and panic and those who act.

People who freeze up are useless and a danger to themselves and others, or at the very least an obsticle in the middle of the problem to be overcome to solve the problem.

You have a split second to make a decision-right, wrong, or indfifferent. The fun part is you have to spend forever justifying that split second reaction to peers. It is even more fun in a society where the unwashed and smelly have cell phone cams, that they edit heavily later to make it say whatever they want.

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

• I did not mean your skin was pierced by the knife :embarassed:. Think of the analogy of a gun being stuck in your neck.
    • I didn't ignore your original caveat. There are times where rifles or shotguns (using your restriction of inside the home) are LESS practical and useful that handguns, edged weapons or even hands.
    We should always seek to match not only the proper tool to the situation, but also our mindset to the tool and the scenario. I see so many dudes with knives on their persons, and they can't handle cutting off the head of a chicken, killing a pig (you know, where bacon comes from) or gutting a deer. How do they plan to use that knife up close and personal on another human being if they have no stomach for wounding or killing someone in breathing space?

Follow the advice of the gent that posted above me. Think think think all the time about what ifs. Visualize some nasty crap popping up on you as you walk around a corner, as you walk into a 7/11, that accident where someone ran in your back and the car in front of you slows down inexplicably.

10. writwing

writwing

I spoke with a leo from a large CT city that just finished doing long shifts in Newtown. During our discussion he flat out told me that he and many fellow officers WILL NOT go into a building to disarm a criminal. They will not risk their life for a Bushmaster.

We need rifles to protect us from the globins that strike fear into a unionized pd.

ps. I do not own a rifle of any type.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I assume you don't mean an active shooter incident where the shooter has a long gun. I assume what you mean is if legislation is passed to confiscate these types of long guns, he is saying they won't do it.

If this is what you mean, I am here to tell you this is not how police business works. If they don't follow a directive to seize a gun, what happens? Charges might be made against them.

If they don't seize a gun, and the owner goes nutz, and shoots up a mall, not only liability becomes an issue, but vicarious liability for that agency and its supervisors/administrators.

There is no history of police in the NE (particularly NY, CT and NJ NOT implementing those types of arrests. The reality is, some of those arrests are rungs for promotion.

12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

none of that conversation makes any sense. First how would they even know the make of the weapon? second, cops go in after armed criminal, active shooter or not on a regular basis. THIRD, cops are not rained to "disarm" active shooters to begin with.

13. writwing

writwing

NO I am talking of trying to apprehend someone who is known to have a weapons cache. He flat out stated that he and some fellow officers will not risk their lives for that.

14. writwing

writwing

I used the term "Bushmaster" in the contemporary mass media jargon.

Sorry but that is what the officer claimed, like it or not.

It seems that the Adam-12 type of officers retired a long time ago.

15. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Ok now that makes more sense. I thought you were talking about going in after an active shooter.

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Policing is very local, and has it's own sub-culture, which is often parallel to the locality where officers serve.

A street (traffic, etc) cop in Irving, TX or Vail, CO or Douglas, GA is going to be a different beast than a cop from Stamford, CT/ Larchmont, NY, Great Neck, NY, Garden City, NJ or anywhere in NYC.

17. writwing

writwing

The point is that we cannot count on the police to protect us. This is why we need certain types of weapons for protection.

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:Great response. Maybe he is a writer for one of those "true crime" story magazines that women love to read. :whistling:

19. mack0311

mack0311

As with anything else, some people are slow to change. The majority have come around to seeing the versatility and increased benefit of a patrol rifle over a shotgun. Both have their place though.

20. coastal4974

coastal4974

That fact might be explained by the U.S. having such a high percentage of kids living in a single parent (mostly mothers only) household. Over 70% of black kids. I remember reading that if you took single parent childhood out of the equation, the prison population would be equal among whites and blacks. It would make an interesting study.

That might not be what the liberal would want to hear.