close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If the police need it, I need it.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Anything an astronaut needs, I need. This thread is. Hilarious. Wanting it and believing you should have the option is one thing. Claiming you need the same gear as those on a job that is in no way similar to yours, a threat profile no way similar to yours is just pretending.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The threat is the same bad guy. Only, he tries to avoid police and is trying to civilians. No joke, that's truth.

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Until just a very few years ago, Charles County Sheriff's Dept. REQUIRED each deputy to purchase their own duty/off-duty weapons.
    This included sidearm(s), rifles and shotguns.
    This department is just 50 miles south of where you're sworn, and is the only county-wide law enforcement agency, in Charles County.
    In other words, the sheriff's department IS the county police department.

I know for fact, that the department's EST (Emergency Services Team - same thing/different name used for SWAT), the sniper (a sergeant) purchased his own sniper rifle. (Remington 700 Varmint - .308 Win.)

At the time, the only weapons that were provided by the department, were the Beretta (if memory serves me) the M12 (9mm) and AR70 (.223).

The 'purchase policy' started changing in 1990/'91, for liability reasons (and a Federal Grant).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. dougader

dougader

You posted it twice; maybe you thought it was significant in some way, but I just don't see it. So what exactly does an astronaut have to do with the 2nd amendment?

I know officers that have been on the job for over 20 years and have never drawn their sidearm. Police have back up. I have no back-up, because I am the back-up. If anything, I have a greater need than the basic patrol officer.

In my 52 years I have had to draw my weapon twice. Once at a 7-11 and once at my home in North Portland. My fishing buddy and I didn't draw our pistols when we were approached by two thugs looking to roll us for some quick cash up past Estacada on the Clackamas river; all it took was to put a hand on the grip of the gun and they skipped away like little girls.

You can't disarm the populace then run away when it looks bad (e.g., LA Riots). And then, to add insult to injury, when a citizen tries to get recompense for the inaction of the police (who apparently need semi-auto and select-fire weapons) you get nothing. You might as well put them in a room and turn the thugs loose on them.

And yes, the people do need modern weapons to protect their rights to be secure in society and at home. The 2nd Amendment is important and you coming here to knock it down is what I call counterfeit and ignorant.

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Okay.

You willing to be subjected to the same classroom and range training & periodic qual requirements? :tongueout:

Granted, with more than 17,000+ LE agencies in the country, I'm sure the policies and training requirements vary quite a lot.

Yep. Some won't let their folks have issued or personally-owned rifles or carbines. Some will.

You want to be limited to whatever it is the agencies do, or don't do, in this regard in your area ... so your equipment "needs" accurately reflect those of your local agency?

The "If they need it, I need it" reasoning can easily be used to cut both ways. Be careful what you wish for ...

6. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Not the same thing.
    I'm not paid with tax money to have the capability and qualifications to deal with any dire situation which may come up anywhere within a given jurisdiction.

That doesn't negate or minimize my need to have the means and gear to protect myself.

I'll be the judge of what are the probabilities that I'll need the final 'nth degree' of gear for that purpose.

7. dougader

dougader

Huh. Out here there's a reason that the civilian gun club members at Tri-County can't participate in the Al Mar Knives LE Invitational shoot anymore: because the civies kept taking home the vast majority of the prizes!

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

You can do better than this. One is paid to chase down the bad guy. The other isn't. One seeks out the bad guy, serves warrants, generally goes out of their way 40-80 hours per week, as a condition of the job, to find, deal with, be around, confront, arrest or investigate the bad guys. The other might or might not come into contact with the bad guy at all. One's association with assaultive, armed criminals is all but definite. The other is somewhere between incredibly unlikely and random. That's the truth in the real world. I agree with your desire, but saying it's because cops find them useful is a rather weak attempt to associate two very different groups.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

My guess is that most police reports will show a different word for that person such as "suspect," "subject," "deceased person #8," etc. depending on the local report writing techniques. Ohh, and picking the wrong state may not help bolster credibility. In case that train has not already left the station...

Whether we choose to agree with that or not, one must presume that little technicalities like this will certainly play into what the other side believes. And we probably paint ourselves further into a corner when we try to argue we need the same weapons as the police but do not have to have the same training or qualifications at least from the view from the other side.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

For me it distills to this:

Criminals don't selectively target only the police. The "worst" non-war crimes in America were not foisted against the police. The crimes easiest to repel with a firearm are perpetrated against the populace at a higher rate than against the police.

11. writwing

writwing

LOL LOL Based on reports and video evidence of leo shootings its a safe to say that many cc permit holders cab out shoot many leos. :upeyes:

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Liklihood doesn't mean anything when it is happening to you. At that moment you need the best tools for the job.

13. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

I shoot competition with a lot of cops and most of the time they get smoked. Maybe we should hold cops to our standards? :tongueout:

14. Gwalk

Gwalk

15. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Many CCWs choose to walk away from situations where shooting is/maybe required. :whistling: Or have reasons why they didn't participate. End result of that is, they would have been more helpful behind a phone, talking to 9-1-1.

To paraphrase what the character Pinkley in The Dirty Dozen said: "Very pretty, General. Very pretty. But, can they fight?"
    :)

16. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I'm sure you know, for the average LEO, shooting is just one of many required skill sets. The reality is, it's not even the most important.

17. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

OP is correct.

this is not about equipping for riot control, or arrests. Not about tear gas or handcuffs. It's about the officer's ability to protect himself. Departments all over the country have determined it is best for their officers to have standard capacity mags.

It's true, an officer is called to the scene of a crime, as part of his job. But if a citizen needs a weapon, that means he IS the scene of the crime.

and yes, they are the same bad guys. And no doubt the bad guys we face will have managed to find one of the tens of millions of "high capacity" magazines now in circulation.

I say any LEO or politician advocating partial disarmament of citizens be required to announce that they have similarly disarmed themselves, or their security detail. Mr. Mayor, if you have three security guards, and you want to limit your citizens to 10 rounds, I say you announce that each of your guards will download to three rounds.

18. dougader

dougader

That's not what happened at the Clackamas Town Center here in Oregon. Ask yourself why only 2 people were killed in a mall with 10,000 shoppers. An armed CCW simply aimed at the cowardly murderer, but didn't fire because he was concerned about hitting one of the Christmas shoppers behind his target.

The next round fired was a self-inflicted wound by the armed idiot into his own head. :whistling:

19. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Yes, he's one of many I was thinking of and referring to... about "can they fight?"

So is this guy one of those guys who kick ash at shooting competitions, like those posted about? :supergrin:

20. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Which standard would that be?

The i'm running for the nearest exit instead of running to the sound of the gun fire, that appears to be the "Standard for gun range gunslingers?

:rofl::rofl:

As far as the issue of what non LEO's should or should not have as far as firearms. I see no reason that a citizen should not be able to arm themselves in similar fashion as the police. (or better if they can afford it). that is the way it has been in this country since it was founded.