close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If stainless rusted......

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hogship, Jan 4, 2010.

1. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

.....the same as blued steel, would you still prefer stainless?

I wonder how many gunowners choose stainless strictly for the rust resistance, but would rather have a blue, black, or subdued color to their guns......?

Me?...... you bet......I think blued looks much better than stainless.:supergrin:

I have stainless guns......gotta have them.......hate rust.

hog

[​IMG]

I also like wood better than plastic......but, there again......I choose plastic because it's a superior material.

[​IMG]

2. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

Ion Bond, Blued look, wears like hard chrome

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Rusting isn't a big deal unless one were to for some reason buried a gun into the ground unprotected for years on end. I have revolvers that are 100-years-old and still as sound as the day they were made. Not a spot of rust on them. The bluing are half gone at most places, but all it takes is a wipe down with a good preservative now and then. It ain't like maintaining Formula 1 racing cars.

4. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

This is true, fnfalman...... take care of them, and they will likely never have rust.

On the other hand, if you look at older guns that were "workhorses" of their time, cowboy guns, and outdoorsmen.......you'll find few of them that have never had any rust. Most of those have had rust at one time or another.

The first stainless I ever had was one of the first 686 that hit the market in the early 1980s. That one probably would have ended up with rust, because at the time, I was working on a logging crew, and mountain road construction crew......that pistol went with me to work every day. I also took it hunting. I was happy it was stainless, because I didn't have to maintain it like a blued gun.........

hog

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I've seen some stainless guns that have rust (tiny bit) on them. I think I saw a few S&W autos like that.

6. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Stain resistant would be a more accurate term than stainless. Cosmetically, I also prefer blued to stainless... love the looks of Hogship's 586, and the wood grips just adds that much more to the beauty. :thumbsup:

7. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I prefer the blued look but like the more maintenance-free stainless steel base material.

I've often considered having all my stainless pistols sent out for an Ion Bond treatment. Bac showed my one of his 1911s (RRA I think) that's been Ion Bond finished, and it looks really nice.

8. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I am not the biggest fan of the stainless look. I prefer blued steel.

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

I would love to have polished blue guns that wouldn't rust.

I do like the look of stainless in some applications though.

10. rfd339

rfd339

I like my long guns in blued and most of my pistols in stainless if I can get them that way.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  11. Chronos

Chronos

Have to agree -- nothing beats blued steel for looks.

12. BEER

BEER bad example

i prefer stainless for it's look, especially a high polish type finish. when i was growing up a stainless or nickel plated gun was rather rare, especially in my family, so they tended to stand out more and get more of an "oooh, aaahh" reaction when you showed it off.

13. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I'm another who prefers the look of blue steel and wood. I've got a couple of stainless barreled 10/22's but they're the only ones.

Personally I've never had a problem with my guns rusting. I don't take any particular care of them either. I wipe them down every once in while with an oily rag when I clean them, bring them in from the rain/cold, or something like that, but I've got a couple that I don't shoot, so they seldom get cleaned. Even those have never rusted. At one time I had a western gun belt and holster that I had as much for a decoration as anything. I had a Mitchell Arms SAA that I kept in that holster, and never fired. It stayed there for years, only being taken out once in a while and wiped down with a dry rag to get the dust off. No rust at all.

14. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I do like both, depending on the gun, but in most cases prefer blue.

15. Brucev

Brucev

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From my perspective, I personally prefer the looks of a well blued firearm. That holds from both handguns and rifles. If there were a way for blued steel to be as resistant to rusting as stainless steel, then I would never consider a ss firearm unless it offer some other advantage. Practically speaking, I consider that ss is the best choice for a firearm that will be exposed to harsh use. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

16. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

For the record, stainless will rust. I posted a thread last year about a Colt Commander 1991 pistol I was thinking of buying. The owner had it stored in the case and it had gotten some moisture in it somehow. The gun had rust spots all over the fame and a couple on the slide as well. I tried to remove them with brek free, but they were there for good. The only thing that could have been done is to have the frame resand blasted. I ended up not purchasing the gun and have had to live life with only my old original Colt 1911. It's been tough, but I've endured!:crying: I know, it's a sad story. As for me, I love the look of old blued steel!
    [​IMG]

17. pitt1011

pitt1011

I like stainless revolvers for outdoor use like hunting and hiking when I might not be able to give my guns the attention they deserve. I do like the look of blued steel over all.

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

It depends on how much abuse I'm expecting to subject the gun to. I like blued steel and wood best, as long as I think I can protect it from harm. I resort to stainless and plastic reluctantly, and only when I want durability in a gun I'm expecting to give a beating to.

19. blueiron

blueiron

Why is it so difficult to run an oily rag over a pistol every so often?

20. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

I carried a S&W 60 as a BUG in the jungles of Vietnam for two years. It got little/no maintenance. NO rust.

Blue for looks, stainless for ease of care.