GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
*I love the look of the DW Vigil - what would be the closest DW model with a steel frame ? I would be concerned with galling issues with the Vigil between slide and frame - also the lighter weight aluminum frame producing more recoil in .45 ?

·
A swamp dude
11,044 Posts
When I got the bug for a ‘really nice’ 1911, I ended up with a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special for about $1250 as I recall. Based on my limited knowledge about 1911s, the TRS impressed me with quality fit, finish and the way it shoots. The pistol has under 500 rounds through it and it’s still as tight as new. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Les Baker’s pistols, assuming one can still be bought for $1400.

I don’t see how a reputable brand 1911 costing $1400 could be very disappointing.

Reactions: cruz lee

·
Registered
125,544 Posts
When I got the bug for a ‘really nice’ 1911, I ended up with a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special for about $1250 as I recall. Based on my limited knowledge about 1911s, the TRS impressed me with quality fit, finish and the way it shoots. The pistol has under 500 rounds through it and it’s still as tight as new. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Les Baker’s pistols, assuming one can still be bought for $1400.

I don’t see how a reputable brand 1911 costing $1400 could be very disappointing.
Since we’re assuming, I’ll assume you bought that in 1998. :supergrin:

You check prices lately? ;)

·
A swamp dude
11,044 Posts
Since we’re assuming, I’ll assume you bought that in 1998. :supergrin:

You check prices lately? ;)
It had to be bought around 2003-2005, and I was giving the price from memory. I haven’t checked the recent Baer catalog and I can’t say if the TRS is still made.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
It had to be bought around 2003-2005, and I was giving the price from memory. I haven’t checked the recent Baer catalog and I can’t say if the TRS is still made.
Might be able to find a used Baer for $1400 with some looking, but for new ones you're doing good to get their "basic" models for under $1800. At least from what I've seen.

*I love the look of the DW Vigil - what would be the closest DW model with a steel frame ? I would be concerned with galling issues with the Vigil between slide and frame - also the lighter weight aluminum frame producing more recoil in .45 ?
Probably the pointman, or the new Valor (which I don't like, if you can find an old Valor I'd do that, they used to be available under $1400, probably not today). The DWs that have had issues with galling were the stainless slide, steel frame models. Family member had a VBob lock up on him on the first mag, disappointing for sure but DW had it fixed and back to him in two weeks at no cost, so he was happy in the end.

I've never heard of any of the Duty Treat (black) models have galling issues, and with the aluminum frame it doubly shouldn't be an issue, and if it is DW CS has been good for me.

I do find recoil significantly sharper on the lightweight frames, and my times do reflect that on the range, but it's not unmanageable or completely unpleasant for me, still I prefer 9mm on the lightweight frames. Great for carry and really, really, sweet shooters.

I'm not normally a Colt advocate but this price range is where I think their two best value options shine, the Wiley Clapp and the Colt Competition. Both are steel frame (I believe) and solid entries for a bit less than the $1400, more like $900-1200 pre COVID. Personally, I'd pay a bit more and get a DW, but I do have my bias.

(Actually, I'm past production 1911s in general and my next one will be a Wilson, Nighthawk or some full custom. Got a few years to decide on that front)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
$1400? I'd add $600 to the kitty and get a top make by Baer or Wilson or such. BUT...

My Kimber Stainless Classic 1911 .45 (mark I, no firing pin lock) shoots like a rifle. Sooo... I'd get another Kimber Mk I and if below $1400, buy a top make holster and ammo.

Reactions: jr24
101 - 110 of 110 Posts