Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my pistols are in 9mm for many reasons. I have yet to own a sub-compact. I want one but then the problem arises, should I get a sub compact in 9mm, or because I know I'm already giving rounds in comparison to my G17, G19, get a .40, .45, or even .357 Sig? I know that the 9mm will still give me more rounds than a 5-shot snubby, but because I do have to option of carrying more, and Glock gives me a reliable platform from which to do this, I will go the route of a sub-compact pistol. The only I really worry about is the recoil of .45 ACP, or .357 Sig in such a small package. This makes me think the .40 would be a better choice for a back up gun caliber.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
All of my pistols are in 9mm for many reasons. I have yet to own a sub-compact. I want one but then the problem arises, should I get a sub compact in 9mm, or because I know I'm already giving rounds in comparison to my G17, G19, get a .40, .45, or even .357 Sig? I know that the 9mm will still give me more rounds than a 5-shot snubby, but because I do have to option of carrying more, and Glock gives me a reliable platform from which to do this, I will go the route of a sub-compact pistol. The only I really worry about is the recoil of .45 ACP, or .357 Sig in such a small package. This makes me think the .40 would be a better choice for a back up gun caliber.

Thanks in advance.
Given you have the G17 and G19 I suggest the G26. I've owned both the G26 and G27 and they are great guns. I prefer the 180gr .40sw, but that's me. The optimal 147gr 9mm is good enough for most for most applications:

Test-to-Test Comparison Data, Overall Outcomes, All Shot Scenarios
Caliber Weight Penetration Expand, Ave.
Summary, Sorted by Penetration, at least 4 tests (w/out FBI and BC*)
.40sw 180 13.44 0.67
.45acp 230 13.35 0.76
9mm 147 12.78 0.64
9mm 124 12.40 0.65
9mm 127 12.28 0.62

Caliber data link in signature.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The shorter barrel of the subbies isn't a huge deal, but something to be considered. My G33 shooting 357 sig has similar ballistics as a G17.

Get a 9mm conversion barrel and mags and you've got best of all worlds...you can't go from 9mm to a 357.

Good luck.

Keith

·
Atomic Dawg
1,027 Posts
I would stick with 9mm if I were you and get the 26. Very nice gun.

·
Gaff G26 User!
2,392 Posts
I've owned all the subs and recommend the G26 as best over-all.
I haven't owned them...but I've shot a bunch. And I didn't like them near as well as I do my G26. I've gone completely 9 for work and SD/HD. G17/26 for work and now my new addition of a G17L eventually will take over for HD.

Go with the G26.

HR

·
2,951 Posts
if you want to up in calibers i would go .45 IMO, it has less recoil than .40, but dont forget, sticking with 9mm means you get you use all the 9 mil mags you already own as spares :winkie:, dont forget the rising mag prices.

·
NRA Member
2,412 Posts
IMO, because you already have a G17 and a G19, there's a lot in favor of getting a G26 and sticking with 9mm.

If you really want to move to a different caliber... well, everybody is going to post their bias. Mine is the G39 in .45GAP, for the obvious reason it being the biggest bullet available in a true subcompact. It's also frighteningly accurate.

·
10mm User
194 Posts
Get a G29. It's one louder!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Get a G27 with a 9mm drop in barrel and 9mm mags IMO. Carry the .40, blast the 9mm at the range- it's way cheaper.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
When I was looking for a compact carry gun my criteria was as follows:

1) 100% reliable
2) large round with the good mag quantity
3) smallest package possible
4) most durable finish

The gun that best met these criteria for me was the Glock 27. I am still most happy with this choice and have no doubt that larger diameter bullet will make a bigger hole than the 9mm. After all, it is the diameter of the hole and depth of penetration that constitute most of the damage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts