close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If Gun Control Actually Worked

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by John Rambo, Dec 23, 2012.

1. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Would you be for it?

2. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Define gun control...hitting your target works...

Red

3. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

You mean if a magic fairy went around and took all the guns from the criminals, and the pawns of the government who sought to impose the will of those with money and power on common folk? Basically if there were no guns at all?

That would be cool, but there would also have to be no bombs, chemical weapons, nukes etc.

I would love to live in a world where no one killed each other and everyone lived in harmony.

4. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Gun Control:
    Legislation that keeps guns out of the hands of criminals and other unfit operators who would be likely to use them with negligence or malevolence.

If this legislation would be passed in a way that actually works (and, in time, it likely will be able to as technology progresses, but not today), would you be okay with it? Remember, it would still be infringing upon our 2nd amendment as most of us see it, however...it would work.

5. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

You have to define "worked." What is the exact metric(s)? How are we going to quantify those specifics?

For example, if we take away all green guns, and we end up with a the crime rate using green guns going to zero, did gun control work? Yes, it did but what does that data point mean?

What if we design controls that do eliminate mass shootings but drive bys go up? Did we solve a problem or create one? Is there a large enough data set to extrapolate meaningful statistical trends?...and so on and so forth....

Math is a mother like that.

6. Rabbi

You will have a very difficult time trying to explain how this is not exactly what we currently have.

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

No, I won't.

What we currently have doesn't work. The 'gun control' we have accomplishes damn near nothing. The 'gun control' the gun-grabbers propose accomplishes nothing. Its useless.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  8. Caver 60

Caver 60

Lets see. Suppose we could wave a magic wand and all the guns in the world suddenly disappeared. How do we get the knowledge of how to build one out of peoples minds? I'd build one, then I'd have the only one in the world. It's not that hard to build one.

Do we wave the magic wand again to remove that knowledge of how to build one from peoples minds? Why not just wave that magic wand and remove the propensity for violence from the mind of everyone?

If only.

Sigh.

9. Jgriggs

Jgriggs

Maybe I'm just being stubborn, or obtuse. Maybe a little of both, but rather than sitting here daydreaming of the day "gun control" worked, I'd rather daydream about the day that people simply don't kill each other.

I'd be OK giving the worst member of society a full auto M2, as long as that person never considered killing another person with it.
    I know crazy talk, it'll never happen, so whats the point of the dreaming.

For a more realistic answer to the question, we already have plenty of gun control measures.
    It is illegal to kill a person.
    It is illegal to use a gun in the commission of a crime. (aside from the illegality of the crime.)
    It is illegal to brandish a weapon.
    It is illegal to threaten another person with a weapon.
    It is illegal to posses a weapon if it is illegal for you to posses a firearm. (again, this is a matter of illegal to break the law law)
    In CT, it was illegal for him to be in possession of the two handguns. (under age)
    It was illegal for him to steal those guns.
    It was illegal for him to enter school property with those guns
    It was no doubt illegal to discharge those firearms within city limits
    It was illegal to discharge them in a negligent manner, meaning one that caused harm to others.

The list goes on and on, Would I be in favor of more???
    Hell no.

10. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Isn't this kind of like asking another guy, "if you were gay would you let me bend you over and .... you"?

We know gun control doesn't solve the issue of violence.
    We know that gun control leads to governments doing honorable things to it's citizens.

11. Rabbi

You didnt do it.

Again, your definition is exactly what we have...even if it isnt to your liking or standards.

12. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I don't know of any gun control that works...other than hitting your target.

This is a what if fantasy. I wish it was possible for everyone to live in harmony and no one gets killed on purpose. But that simply won't ever come to pass. The world is made up of humans not angels.

There are no clean cut answers. Something we can point to and say here is the answer. Let's apply this and fix things. And that's what the anti's want. They want a nice clean fix that will bring about a utopian fantasy where everything is OK.

Well...nothing is ever OK.

13. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Like most liberals, you live in a fantasy world.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

No because if some dude breaks into my house and threatens my family with a knife or a club I want to be able to shoot him, not battle him with my own knife or club.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

More people are killed every year by hands, feet, and fists than by long guns. Just for example.

So, no.

16. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Are you serious.......??????

No.

17. mymini40

mymini40

The problem really is not only about guns in criminal hands but also guns in the hands of the looney tunes and theyre even worst.

18. BobbyT

BobbyT

If SPEECH control actually worked, would you be in favor of it?

If any form of "we know better what's good for you", well-intentioned benevolent dictatorship actually didn't result in disaster for once, would that justify it?

Thanks, but I'll keep my individual rights and freedoms, and accept that bad things sometimes happen.

19. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

If the lefty/libs could ever come up with a spot where gun control DOES work, then we could let the market decide. If certain folks valued a small increase in safety from one specific type of threat, balanced against the freedoms/liberties they'd have to give up to maintain that type of environment (such as constant no-notice personal/vehicle/home searches to find illegal guns), then they'd happily move there.

Until they can find somewhere that has figured out how to implement strict gun control without alienating the majority of their population, it's a fantasy question.

20. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg

Sure, if you could invent some device that changes human nature to have no element of evil in it.