If glocks are so reliable, why did this happen? **NSFW** police body cam video

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ZXMustang, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth....

Bullets whizzing past your head or a a knife slicing down the side of your face come to mind.

wlkjr and lineback911 like this.
  2. DrVlad

DrVlad Millennium Member

Pointless discussion based on sparsity of data. With no information from the officer as to the mechanics of what happened, any of a number of variables, many of which may have nothing to do with the firearm design, could have created a malfunction scenario. No different than when people speculate on the legal outcome of an officer involved shooting based on the video snipit without knowing the findings of a complete investigation.

3. Sharkey

Sharkey

So what do you carry? So you come to a Glock forum to imply Glocks are unreliable? I guess Gaston has fooled lots of people then.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Chris8111, gridglocked and TGT like this.
  4. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

In this particular instance, the stoppage is caused by the suspect grabbing the top of the slide. The deputy then fired, while the suspect's hand is gripping the slide. She was nearly disarmed. That will cause a failure 10/10 times.

Attached Files:

ray9898, Chris8111, seanmac45 and 4 others like this.
  5. Glockresistor

Glockresistor

the second video seem allot like buck fever just fire them shots off no matter what, never been in a shooting situation or even close so I'm sure your brain turns to mush and you just react.

6. ZXMustang

ZXMustang

I own a G45. I dont CC it yet, but soon. I just moved to a state friendly enough to make the process worth it.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

If nothing else it should show the value of having a partner load a few inert rds in magazine. Malfunction drills need to be instinctive.
    First time my AR jammed was shooting on My side under a SUV. Cleared, continued.

seanmac45 and slym2none like this.
  8. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Maybe we should try this approach...

Instead of *****ing about a failure, let's try complimenting the officer who did an OUTSTANDING job in manipulating her firearm during a deadly force encounter.

I, like many officers here at GT, was a firearms instructor for my department before retiring. Clearing malfunctions is not something that the vast majority of officers - in my experience - have any level of proficiency at doing.

This officer did a tap and rack like she was running an IDPA match and not fighting for her life. Even with all my training and experience around guns, I could only hope that my reaction would be as good as hers. She did a fine job and, based only on this video, I'd work with her any day. If she's badass enough to deploy deadly force as quickly as she did, and handle a malfunction in such a manner, she's likely a good cop and one that doesn't **** around with people when it's time to roll.

If anyone here knows the young lady, buy her a beer from me and send me the bill.

9. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

He definitely made contact with her weapon

Would love to have her on patrol in my neck of the woods

No way that one can be second guessed, despite the "color scheme"

10. 9mmskng

9mmskng

She's textbook Brother, FANTASTIC JOB!

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Because the bad guy grabbed the slide as he was firing. That has the same effect on every semi-auto and will also lock up a revolver. Coincidentally, my only time testifying as a defense firearms expert in a trial was on a similar issue, where a Glock 19 had malfunction because a robbery victim gripped the slide.

Thanks for posting without applying some common sense first. That's what makes the internet so interesting.

seanmac45, lilPerut and ede like this.
  12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Pretty sure the guy grabbing the slide and pushing the gun down with his hand helped a little. At 0:33-0:34 on the video you can see him open the fingers of the hand holding the screwdriver as he grabs the slide with the same hand.

seanmac45 likes this.
  13. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

You have a gun that works correctly and since it is, you can't make it fail by "limp-wristing."

14. Taipei Personality

Taipei Personality

Not to telegraph the results of your experiment, but I did a similar one with a Glock 34. I held the grip with only my right thumb and middle finger, allowing the gun to rotate and otherwise move as it would. I actuated the trigger with my left index finger. I shot a full magazine of 115 gr FMJ target rounds with no malfunctions.

slym2none likes this.
  15. faceplant

faceplant

I was camping with friends awhile back. Their 7yo son had constant malfuntions with g19. Nobody else had this issue with the same gun. I can only assume it was not having a proper grip. I have put thousands of rounds through my centerline glocks. I can't recall a malfunction. I'm sure there might have been some but I think they are pretty darn reliable

CBennett likes this.
  16. CBennett

CBennett

you can my wife proved that, mine never stopped before she shot it never stopped after ;)

faceplant, slym2none and wlkjr like this.
  17. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

Lets go to the next step. If Glocks fail in combat due to the human fail of limp wristing, is there a weapon that is more tolerant of limp wristing?

Full disclosure; my early 19 gen 4 had frequent brass to face from "limp wristing" until I replaced the stock MIM extractor with an aftermarket machined extractor. All shooting at a range.

18. Vito

Vito

Years ago when I first held a Glock in my hand I was not happy with what it felt like, and for many years did not own a single Glock. It was actually a video from Hickock45 that made me think I should take another look. In that video he said that the ONLY brand of handgun that he would trust his life to, without having the chance to previously fire even a single round, was a Glock. He said he trusted Glock reliability right out of the box, something he said he did not trust with any other brand, even those much more expensive than Glock. I ended up buying a Glock 17 as my first of what became several handguns from Glock. Not a single one has given me a single malfunction of any kind. Admittedly all of my shooting has been at the range, and I am not shooting thousands and thousands of rounds, but I now carry a Glock 26 and trust that it will work as it is supposed to if and when I ever need to draw and fire.

Inyo Tim and Sharkey like this.
  19. Sharkey

Sharkey

The year was 1990, I was a Class Valedictorian Academy Graduate that just stepped into the field training at an agency in a city of 100K. We have to provide our own guns so I tell the Rangemaster I have a G17. Nope, not on the approved list. He won't allow officers to carry a POS plastic gun (his words). I ended up with a SA 1911 Govt. Model slightly customized. I later went to a G19 5 years later due to a hand injury and the agency later adopted the 40cal as their issued duty gun. It is 2020 and how many places use Glock now?? If OP can't trust glocks, he needs to sell the one he has and go with something else. I was joking at first.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

lineback911 likes this.
  20. Aurora

Aurora

I don't really trust much of anything without a lot of testing and use. It takes a lot of work to shake out the flaws in any piece of equipment. I don't care what anyone says to the contrary.

I am aware of three local instances where a Glock malfunctioned at the wrong time. Oddly enough, two of those instances happened in the hands of a bad guy.

V.