close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ie7

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by coopal_131, Oct 19, 2006.

1. coopal_131

coopal_131

Has anyone installed Internet Explorer 7? How do you like it? Thanks.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's okay, I suppose. It tries to mimic Firefox - Ctrl-T opens a new tab, for example. Still, the inteface doesn't seem as polished and intuitive as Firefox to me.

There is one thing that IE has always done better, though, and that is handling of ftp transfers (you can drag & drop). All in all, I keep it on my machine because I want to test some operations with IE (and because I don't have a choice ;)).

3. czbillt

czbillt

been running it for about three weeks now with zero problems. I have never used any other browers besides IE versions, but I really like the tabbing and smaller overall toolbar. Also, access to "internet options" on the toolbar is nice.

:)

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Ditto. Not too shabby!

5. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

simplified deletion box for cookies, cache, etc.

had it on my box for a half hour it's great. :thumbsup:

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Just noticed something. By default, IE7 tries to "use ClearType fonts with HTML". That's Microsoft speak for anti-aliased fonts. I suddenly noticed that my fonts looked like crap on my 1900x1200 LCD with DVI. Thankfully, I noticed what IE was doing and turned it off (Advanced Options under Tools). Now all is back to normal.

It even affected my Outlook. For a moment I thought I was back to analog input on my monitor, but that was impossible (I removed that cable). :shocked:

Considering how many people run DVI these days, I don't know if having this option as default is desireable.

7. lens

lens

IE 7 is a very welcome upgrade!

I've been using the Betas for months now and just upgraded to the RTM version. Works very well.

I also use FF 2.0 Beta and like both. Handling of Bookmarks in FF still leaves a LOT to be desired!!

8. Specks

Specks

For bookmarks in FF I like the 'Flat Bookmark Editing' and 'Bookmark Sync & Sort' extensions. Check them out.

9. lens

lens

Will do, thanks!

10. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

I still prefer Opera, but I.E. 7 is much improved. Good job MS! :thumbsup:

11. dennis67

dennis67 Voice of reason

Not yet. I have a pretty strict rule to not install or use any major release from Microsoft until months after it has hit the streets.

Has saved me a few headaches over the years. :teddy:

12. Chronus

Chronus

I installed it at work. I think its a much needed upgrade. I even find myself some what enjoying it. Although it does have some direct rip offs of firefox and opera. As dennis67 pointed out its good to wait a few months with anything new from Microsoft. I will upgrade on my machine but I will always stick with Firefox or Opera as one of my default browsers.

I love firefox. :)

13. Chronus

Chronus

**UPDATE**

Firefox 2.0 Just launched!!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

the only thing I have to complain about is the button to close the tabs is now on the tab themselves. That is something I will have to get used to. Anyways I am a huge Firefox fan just wanted to share the news on the new release!

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I haven't tried IE7 yet.Like previous IE upgrades I am sure it's not possible to go back to IE6 without restoring the system back to a previous time.I prefer Mozilla SeaMonkey over Firefox.It has all of the current security updates too.

http://filehippo.com/download_seamonkey/

15. lens

lens

IE 7 shows up as removable (it'll put IE 6 back into operation) from the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Thanks.I knew the pre-release versions were suppose to be unistallable but a lot of people claimed to have problems switching back to IE6.They also just found a security hole in IE7 due to one of it's automatic features but claim the latest protection software from MS will prevent it from being a problem.An addition program Windows Defender.Something about fake URL's.

Right now I don't have IE7 nor Windows Defender.

17. lens

lens

18. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yes the price is right.It seems like a decent program but my newest XP computer is 5 years old and it slows it a noticeable amount.My other PC with XP is 6 1/2 years old and I keep it with SP1 so as to keep it speedy.It works great I just can't use some of the newer MS programs that require SP2.I might wait for Vista before buying another PC.

19. eeyoresfavfan

eeyoresfavfan

I got a forced upgrade at work to IE7... it kept shutting down for some reason. Would start just on home page and then IE has encountered a problem and shut down. Switched back to IE6 no problem by uninstalling. Few days later installed it myself on the laptop, and seems to be working better. Have it loaded on my laptop and desktop at home.
    DJ

20. Bronson7

Bronson7

I tried IE7. The tool bar is a bit bland looking and actually takes up more room than IE6. Closing the browser was a bit strange (what X to select) and on mine, my auto task bar would refuse to un-hide when the browser was up; that, I couldn't deal with. A note of caution: Export your cookies before installing. All my cookies got dumped for some reason. I'll probably install it again at some later time and play with it some more, but for now, I just don't want to deal with it.
    Bronson7