IE question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bill2037, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Bill2037

Bill2037

When I click on a link, say in a message on a forum or an email, and it opens a new window from that link, that new window opens way on the extreme left of my screen. It so far over that I can barely get the double headed arrow so that I can drag it open in order to open it to full size. This has been going on for several months; it used to just pop open a new window at full size. What could have caused this change? I use IE my OS is XP Home Ed. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) The Windows XP automatic sizing feature became screwed up. Next time you open a new window do this:

Look at the 3 boxes in the upper right hand corner. The middle box should show one page. This means that you're on the manually sized window.

Now drag the wrong window into the middle of the screen and manually size it to the way you want. Minimize and open it a few times.

Now go up to that middle box, again, and left click it. This will increase the size of the page you're viewing to its maximum size. Minimize it a few times, too. While you're doing this Windows should be automatically recording how you are adjusting the window.

Finally close it, and open another new window. It should appear the way you want it to. ;)

3. Bill2037

Bill2037

:thumbsup: by golly you are an angel ... well sort of ... lol

Seems to be back on track. Much appreciated!

4. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

5. Bill2037

Bill2037

Didn't last long Arc. It won't hold more than a couple of hours. Must be something else besides it's poor memory. At least it shows up and presents a small border to grab onto to. Thanks for your effort.

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:upeyes: Then something you're, either, doing or opening is changing Windows automatic page setting parameters. It could be a PDF document, or you might have too many windows open at the same time - something. It ain't black magic; it's just Windows. Take a good look at what you're doing or who else is using your computer. You mentioned that you're opening email links; well, that could be it right there.

Open Control Panel > Folder Options > General > Browse Folders. Read through the list of options carefully. Is, 'Open each folder in same window' checked?

Open Control Panel > Folder Options > View. Is, 'Remember each folders view settings' checked? Is, 'Restore previous folder windows at logon' checked?

Under, 'Managing Pairs of Web Pages' is, 'Show and manage the pair as a single file' checked?

That's it! That's as much as I have to offer you. (You should be grateful nonetheless. This is, still, a lot more than anyone offered me on my last tech question!) ;)

7. Bill2037

Bill2037

The 'Restore previous folder windows at logon' was not checked, so I checked that. It didn't solve the issue. I'm the only one who uses the machine so I'll try to figure out what I'm doing. I'll mess with the too many windows open thing and see if that may be it. Right now I have IE open with three tabs and OL/Express is also open.

Believe me I'm grateful. I've still learned some things from you, computer dumb as I am. Call me the nutt behind the butt, I sure I messed it up. Thanks for spending the time on this. C U down the trail.

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Did you reboot afterwards?

You said it, 'was holding'. Then after opening what link or document does the automatic Window setting revert to opening new pages on the extreme left side of the screen? (Certain Symantec pages and message boxes do this. It's attributable to lousy programming. This could be that sort of overriding program default.)

Open, minimize, and maximize a page before you shutdown. When you reboot the page settings should be the same as the last page you viewed. The only page I have on my computer that consistently opens in the wrong place (the lower right side of the screen) is Webroot's Spy Sweeper. It has its own program default that overrides the normal Window page settings.

Still, if I set the Spy Sweeper page up in a proper Window, it will stay that way for the entire computer session and hold that position until after I shutdown.

PS: Why don't you PM, 'Herr Glock'. He works with computers for a living. See what Dan has to say?