close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IDPA What Glock do use or recommend?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Midas, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Midas

Midas

Hello,

IDPA What Glock do you use or recommend?

Jeff

2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

It is the basic model with the most development in reliability and durability. I would not trade my first generation 17 for any two other models. It shoots 9mm ammo; cheap to buy, cheaper to reload. It enters in Stock Service Pistol, which has the most generous classification times.

A 34 might be a smidge better for the dedicated competitor, but I have heard from people who turned back from a 34 to a 17. A friend who has some kind of psychological hangup against 9mm shoots a 22 in preference to a 35.

If you want to also shoot IPSC/USPSA where Major Power Factor matters in any division but Production, a 35 with light .40 loads for IDPA, heavy for IPSC would be the most versatile.

3. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

For IDPA go for the Glock 17, 9mm is enough for paper. On the other hand, If you go with the G30 you can shoot it in SSP, CDP, and ESP with some minor mods. If you carry, get the gun you want to carry and shoot that for IDPA.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

34 for SSP or ESP. 21 for CDP.

5. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

How would you shoot a G30 in CDP and ESP both, unless one of those "minor mods" was a barrel change? A CDP must be a .45 ACP; ESP calibers do not include .45.

Hmmmm, there is going to be a lot of whining about that if the .45 GAP sells much.

6. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

7. DM-SC

DM-SC

Even a barrel change wouldn't make the G30 legal for use in ESP. Even if you could get another barrel for a G30 in one of the ESP legal calibers, since Glock never made a G30 in any caliber except .45, it would not be legal for IDPA.

Funny, they seem to let the 1911's slide on this...

8. DesertShark1963

DesertShark1963

I shoot what I carry -- a Glock 27 -- and recommend the same policy (not necessarily the same pistol) to anybody who carries or intends to carry. I treat matches as range time practicing shooting skills that might translate to the real world. Shooting games with one firearm while trusting my life to another doesn't make sense to me. Last classifier, I (just barely) made Sharpshooter in SSP with the G27 so the subcompact isn't really a competitive disadvantage.

9. Eric R

Eric R Millennium Member

I started with a G23. I went to a 35 and have not looked back. My 35 is now my primary carry gun. I shoot so much better with it that I will fight to conceal the extra bulk. Switched back to the standard mag release, added backstap plug, meprolights, and Agrip.

10. Midas

Midas

Well I think for me it might be between a 17, 19,or 34. I do not carry a gun so switching back and forth might not be an issue. I really want a second gun. A 9mm would save on ammo.
    In everyone's opinion would it be detramental(Spelling) to doing well in IDPA to NOT get a 34. Would I be competitive with a 17 or 19 assuming that I like IDAP and stay with it for the long run?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    CA

11. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Shoot what you're going to carry.

In my case, that's the G-19.

12. DesertShark1963

DesertShark1963

I don't think it would be detrimental to use a G17 or G19. I see many great shooters do extremely well with out-of-the-box, basic Glocks (which I thought was the point of IDPA, anyway). I don't think a 3/4" of extra barrel length and lighter trigger pull makes that much of a difference in the results for most shooters. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have the bigger pistol to start with if you don't have any issues with concealment, etc. but IMHO, I don't think the extra money would be better spent on ammo, practice and match fees.

13. ghostwn

ghostwn Ghost Member

14. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

My mistake. I forgot, no 45's in esp.